Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Range

• 07-05-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Could some one tell me the range of the 'g' and the 'b' wireless standards.

When I move away from my router (into the next room) I lose connection to the internet but not the router.

Would anyone the reson for this?

And any ideas for a solution?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The range of these devices varies widely depending on modle of router, building that the device is in, the environment and a few other factors....
    It is strange that you cannot connect to the internet but can connect to the router when you move rooms..can you ping a website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I have ping the BBC website to no avail.

Note: Some times the Mb drops from 54 to 1. I dont know why this is either. I have changed the router (ZyXEL 660HW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What card is in the laptop TommyGun? What OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Do you have two wireless networks (with the same ssid) by any chance?

One possible scenario is if you had an old 11b wireless modem and bought a new access point (and set the SSID to be the same as the old one). When you're in the room with the router(s), it picks the one connected to the internet, but once you go out of the room, the 11b signal is too weak, so it picks up the 11g signal.

Unfortunatley, the 11g is not connected to anything but itself!

I'm just suggesting this as a possible answer to your question, and I've had similar issues trying to use a borrowed Eircom new wireless router to act as a range extender.

Advertisement