Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus extras

Options
  • 07-05-2006 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭

Was just browsing through the lexus.ie website today & noticed that one of the few extras you can actually get on the big Lexus (LS430) is a "Pre-crash safety system". Not the case in the UK as far as I can see, as it looks to be standard. Wonder why Lexus in Ireland would skimp on safely equipment, I'm sure anyone buying one of those wouldn't even blink an eyelid to shell out a few extra €.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Problem is that in Ireland you have to pay VRT on the safety features also. This option would add more to the car cost here.

Is the pre-crash system any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pre crash systems seems to be good alright, think its standard on the forthcoming LS460

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not to diss Lexus or anything (if I could have any car it would be a GS), but what is the purpose of this system

it basically a system using radar which detects an imminent collision. it tensions up the seatbelt before the actual impact. it's also linked to the air suspension and brakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

In Ireland for every €1 worth of car you are buying there's over €2 of tax so the lower the car is pretax the less if will cost you, again it means more people are killed in the country each year due to people not being able to afford safer more modern cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭opus

I guess the point I was trying to make was if you're happy to spend €117K on a car in the first place, would you really worry about a few extra € especially if it's for a safety system that might save you from injury? Are Lexus buyers that price conscious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Strange that it is an option on the 430 over in Ireland. I have the GS300 SE over here and cannot say that not having the system would worry me, and yes even lexus drivers have a budget.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    In Ireland for every €1 worth of car you are buying there's over €2 of tax so the lower the car is pretax the less if will cost you, again it means more people are killed in the country each year due to people not being able to afford safer more modern cars.

where did you get these figures from?

VAT and VRT don't triple the price of cars

Also, people are killed because they drive irresponsibly, not because they don't have 9 airbags

Advertisement