Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After killing off my weeds etc with roundup, what next?

• 08-05-2006 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Do I need to take up any nettle roots etc before I rotavate? Or just hire it out and do it now?, considering I'm covering parts of the garden with mypex and covering with stones, would I need to up-root the other section that's going to be grassed?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Roundup kills the roots, so if you see no more green, start rotavating.
    Preparing the seedbed will germinate weed seeds that are already in the soil so you may need to respray with something selective when everything starts to grow. Or else mow twice a week and fertilise your lawn, the weeds can't compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

be warned that rotavating will bring up lots of dormant seeds so your garden will be weed tastic.
    As was just said dont worry too much about weeds, a well looked after lawn will smother most weeds, then just pick the buggers that wont die.

After you rotovate you will need to rake/level/stone pick for about 2/3 weeks
    This is worth the effort as a level lawn is a must have and stones are a pain in the ankle when you mow them.

Depending on the purpose of the lawn (do you have kids or a dog) you will want ryegrass or non ryrgrass.
    ryegrass is a rougher, hardier grass but you will be grand with a "fine lawn" as long as you are not playing soccer etc on it.

When you are ready to start sowing come back to us, thats even more fun :)

Advertisement