Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Phone Wires. Newbie Help.

Options
  • 08-05-2006 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I've just had some work done on my house and unfortunately my phone connections have been disconnected. If any one here has the knowledge to help me re-connect it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any knowledge in this area and as both the connection box and phone sockets are disconnected I can't figure this out through a process of elimination.

street-connection.jpg

Firstly

The above image is ove the junction box. The cable in from the street is on the right hand side and Eircom Phone Watch has been plugged in from the left. I now need to connect the phone wire that leads to the sockets in my house. It is a 4-wire cable. Blue, Blue/White, Orange, Orange/White. Does anyone know which wires i need to connect and into which sockets?

plug_connection.jpg

Secondly

THis should be more simple. That is the picture of the socket box. I don't know which wires i should plug into which sockets.

Thanks for any advice or help. It is really appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Well, for the outlet box, you can use the diagram on this page to map the solid-coloured cables to the stripy cables:

http://www.lanshack.com/wire_phone_jack.aspx

As for the incoming signal, I'd only be guessing. You might end up having to call Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Gandhi

Dont understand why on the top of the connection the Blue and orange are connected to what seem nothing (I am presuming that the wires at the top are your internal you need to connect, with the other blue and orange not connected and loose.

So what I would do is take the two wires off at the top and then reconnect the 4 loose wires on the top row to match the bottom row in the corresponding connectors

So start with top far right looks like bule/White then next screw to that looks like solid blue (this shoul dnow get you dial tone as eircom usually use the blue) but connect the orange up also in the same connections

So top row shoul dno look like strating from right to left

Blue/white then blue then orange/white and finally orange.

If you have connected the far end wires correctly then you should have dial tone

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

The wires to your phone sockets are connected to the orange-orange white wires on the phonewatch wire. Pick any pair(orange-orangewhite or blue-blue white) from the wire to your sockets and connect them to the terminals. At the other end connect the pair, it doesnt matter about polarity, to the red and green terminals on the phone socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Thanks for all the advice.

Worked perfectly and all hooked up without a problem last night.

Just wanted to bump this thread and ask some further advice.

Garyh3's advice was top draw and sorted me for phone line.

I connected the orange pair wires to the red and green terminals on the phone socket.

I am connecting broadband tonight and wondered if i need to connect anything else so that i can use a DSL modem.

Once again any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Nope. You only need a single pair or wires. DSL works by using higher frequencies on the same wires rather then different wires.

Woo Hoo.

Thanks Carnivore

:D

Advertisement