Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Coding Standards

Options
  • 08-05-2006 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

I wasn't sure whether to call this thread "PHP Coding Standards" or "PHP Coding Standards, or lack thereof".

I don't want to turn this into a PHP vs JSP vs ASP vs XSP (where X is the letter of your choice) argument/debate/whatever. I'm just commenting on the utter lack of standards adopted by PHP developpers in my experience.

I'm a PHP developer for a company. We have adopted an MVC approach to our development with a DAO/DTO layer, a standard php action switching Layer, and Smarty templating as our view. Simple, flexible, extensible, elegant, understandable and upgradable.

Procedural code has its place, don't get me wrong, but "Industry standard" production isn't that place. I remember getting all irritable because users on the daily wtf (I love that site) were bitching about PHP developpers in a very snooty manner. Now that I have some practical experience, seven months in a job, I really understand their frustration. If you look at most open source technology, the code is head wreaking. There's php escaping into html with sql statemnts left right and centre. You can't figure out what a php file is meant to be doing because it may be doing twelve different unrelated tasks.

Please, people, tell me I'm not the only PHP developper frustrated with the apparant lack of standards outthere.

Advertisement