Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleforbes Square, docklands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JohnnyRoyal

I agree with your point on the cowboy issues alright, but was wondering more about diff between fixed line broadband and wireless, i assume since conway is bringing through the tv system its cable and more stable than wireless, then theres the issue with not being able to use skype or online gaming with clearwire and the reception/quality getting lower at peak times, although clearwire is probably more flexible and you could possibly bring it with you if you move!!!??? But then would the tv signal get worse (if thats even possible) if conway put in broadband!! With clearwire can you plug it in anywhere and then wuse your laptop from anywhere in the apt???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MHJB

I have a few questions for people already living in castleforbes....We've slowly started moving in, the floors are down and appliances are in, so we've been there a few times, but we haven't actually slept there yet. My questions are, how is the water pressure in the showers in the morning? It seems fine when I checked it recently, but I'm curious if its the same in the morning. Also, is there a way to turn down that dam phone that connects to the downstairs door? In our apt, when someone calls from the outside door, the sound is deafning, and it goes on for about a good 5 seconds. (thats 4 seconds more then I think it should go on for).BTW, were in block C.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

MHJB wrote:
    I have a few questions for people already living in castleforbes....We've slowly started moving in, the floors are down and appliances are in, so we've been there a few times, but we haven't actually slept there yet. My questions are, how is the water pressure in the showers in the morning? It seems fine when I checked it recently, but I'm curious if its the same in the morning. Also, is there a way to turn down that dam phone that connects to the downstairs door? In our apt, when someone calls from the outside door, the sound is deafning, and it goes on for about a good 5 seconds. (thats 4 seconds more then I think it should go on for).BTW, were in block C.

thanks in advance

I havent moved in yet but am finishing apartment at the moment. Regarding water pressure, my showers are fed by a booster pump connected to the storage tank. Therefore, my pressure is constant throughout the day.

Haven't an iota regarding phone to downstairs door unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Shivvv

barat wrote:
    Apologies if this is somewhere else in the thread, but is this the correct number for Sky Conway -- 0488 6763771 -- I found that on some v sad looking website so i'm thinking that's not it.

If anyone has it can they post?

Hi Everyone

I'd appreciate it too if someone had the sky conway number - I can't get through on the number above or the number directory enquiries gave me (01 8417788)

I'm hoping to move into my apt in Block D by the end of the had a nightmare today though trying to get the appliances in my kitchen fitted - the whole thing is crooked and they have to replace my worktop - they should have it sorted by tomorrow tho.

I think it'd be really great to know some of my neighbors and would definitely be into meeting up for drinks in one of the roof gardens.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Arrgh
    That F*cken alarm in teh show apt in Block E is driving me demented!
    4 hours now non stop...
    Have called the management company who say they are looking into it....
    I'm gonna burn the building to the ground if it doesn't stop soon!:mad:
    (Thats a joke by the way - before anyone tries to have me arrested :eek: )

Seriously though... this place is getting noisier and noisier everyday

On Tuesday it was the Bin Men at 7AM
    This morning it was the Concrete lorries from 7AM
    And now its the show apt alarm all night....

Not to mention 100MPH Trucks driving down Castleforbes rd at all hours of the night

Advice for anyone moving in.. get some ear plugs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭reallybad

geecee wrote:
    Arrgh
    That F*cken alarm in teh show apt in Block E is driving me demented!
    4 hours now non stop...
    Have called the management company who say they are looking into it....
    I'm gonna burn the building to the ground if it doesn't stop soon!:mad:
    (Thats a joke by the way - before anyone tries to have me arrested :eek: )

Seriously though... this place is getting noisier and noisier everyday

On Tuesday it was the Bin Men at 7AM
    This morning it was the Concrete lorries from 7AM
    And now its the show apt alarm all night....

Not to mention 100MPH Trucks driving down Castleforbes rd at all hours of the night

Advice for anyone moving in.. get some ear plugs!

I am lucky enough not to have the trucks at my window - however the alarms going off and the bloody rock breakers diggers and trucks are driving me mad. They start EVERY morning (including weekends) at 7.30 on the nose and sometimes go on late into the evening.

I know that builders are meant to only work in certain hours - anyone know what these are?

hello all

Anyone been to any of the pubs in east wall or the IFSC? any worth going to or staying away from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ryan27

reallybad wrote:
    I am lucky enough not to have the trucks at my window - however the alarms going off and the bloody rock breakers diggers and trucks are driving me mad. They start EVERY morning (including weekends) at 7.30 on the nose and sometimes go on late into the evening.

I know that builders are meant to only work in certain hours - anyone know what these are?

I believe work is not supposed to start till 8am Mon-Sat and 10am on Sundays... Thank god the builders holidays are coming up next week where we'll get 2 weeks peace. Are the bin collectors restricted to this time frame also as engines running, bin trucks reversing ( beep beep beep) at 7am in the morning is ridiculous!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 delog

Whats the news on braodband GeeCee? Have you ordered boradband from Eircom yet? They have laxed the contracts to six months so that's handy because Magnet is only available then...

I have ordered BT as they seem to be the the best value option
    I have gone for their option 3: Which is 3MB down and 384 Up, 30 Gig cap
    Total cost is €50 per month inc line rental (so not too bad compared to Eircom, UTV and the others Packages)

Its on a 6 mointh contract, so hopefully Smart will be available by then... Or Better Still NTL!

As for my 12 month clearwire contract... i refuse to acknowlegde that!

With regard to the Bins... anyone know who we should be contacting about this?
    DCC or are they a private operator?

Anyone fancy calling RF property management... I called them 3 times last night... so they might not appreciate another calll from me!

• Advertisement

reallybad wrote:
    hello all

Anyone been to any of the pubs in east wall or the IFSC? any worth going to or staying away from?

The pubs in the IFSC are usually quiet at weekends but Harbour Master is good pub. Laguna & Excise Bar are quiet. There is a new wine bar can't remember its name beside CHQ near Jury's End of IFSC and it is packed every night at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭jdc78

The wine bar is Ely's and it's fantastic. It stretches the entire length of the CHQ underground which is primarily the restaurant. Great food, wine and music, although a little pricey. Been twice in as many weeks!

Sorry to harp on about this... but the noise in Castleforbes is driving me completely mad!

Alarms were going off again for ages again on Saturday. I though legally that apartment and house alarms were menat to automatically silence themselves after 15 minutes?

After living in Ringsend on an incredibly busy road (Pearse st), directly opposite a Pub (Ocean Bar) and adjacent to the Ringsend Bus depot for the last 5 years i thought i had become impervious to noise!

However between the:
    Builders, Readymix Lorries, Pile Driving, Bin Men, Insomniac DIY'ers, Sat/Sun Morning DIY'ers, Street parties, Balcony Parties, Joy riders, 100MPH Trucks, Screaming Children, Police Helicoptors/Sirens, Car and house alarms... I am going DEMEMTED!

I feel like i hav't slept in 3 months! Was even considering hiring a hotel room for a next weekend... Just to get away from Castleforbes!

Hopefully when this warm spell passes and people start closing their windows things will improve... if not we could be in for a "Falling Down" type scenario... not just from me... but also from others that i have talked to!

If anyone is talking to Johnny Cullen can you ask if the builders are def taking holidays soon... at least then we might get some sort of break!

geecee wrote:
    Sorry to harp on about this... but the noise in Castleforbes is driving me completely mad!

Alarms were going off again for ages again on Saturday. I though legally that apartment and house alarms were menat to automatically silence themselves after 15 minutes?

After living in Ringsend on an incredibly busy road (Pearse st), directly opposite a Pub (Ocean Bar) and adjacent to the Ringsend Bus depot for the last 5 years i thought i had become impervious to noise!

However between the:
    Builders, Readymix Lorries, Pile Driving, Bin Men, Insomniac DIY'ers, Sat/Sun Morning DIY'ers, Street parties, Balcony Parties, Joy riders, 100MPH Trucks, Screaming Children, Police Helicoptors/Sirens, Car and house alarms... I am going DEMEMTED!

I feel like i hav't slept in 3 months! Was even considering hiring a hotel room for a next weekend... Just to get away from Castleforbes!

Hopefully when this warm spell passes and people start closing their windows things will improve... if not we could be in for a "Falling Down" type scenario... not just from me... but also from others that i have talked to!

If anyone is talking to Johnny Cullen can you ask if the builders are def taking holidays soon... at least then we might get some sort of break!

its very bad alright - i am lucky enough in that my apartment faces the courtyard in block D and thus is away from the street noise.however the pile driving is getting 10 mins earlier every morning. they started at 7 this morning.however i spent 3 bucks on earplugs because i was in bed sick today and they did the trick - slept like a log

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

I'm about to move into castleforbes in the next few days.... doh :D

Hi Plenderj
    Don't mind my whinging about the noise...
    It can't go on forever (I hope)

As for the pile driving looks like this is whats happening on that site:
    http://www.sca.ie/pages/projects/lt1.htm

LIFFEY TRUST ENTERPRISE CENTRE
    SHERIFF STREET, DUBLIN.
    2002 -

The Liffey Trust was set up in 1984 as a Charitable Trust with the primary objective of creating employment in areas of the inner city where there was 75% unemployment. In order to carry out their objectives The Trust was given a 2 storey building by Merchants Warehousing on Sheriff Street, in Dublin's Docklands. These premises were destroyed by a fire on the 2nd November 2003 and this scheme is to replace the original building with a new mixed use development on the same site.

A nine storey over basement purpose built building is proposed which will incorporate the current enterprise use of The Liffey Trust and in addition include start-up office premises, a designated Performing Arts School and residential accommodation which will fund the centre. All of the public spaces will occupy an extensively glazed two storey podium which will provide a strong visual presence to the adjoining streets. Three courtyards are cut into this podium affording light, ventilation and private open space to the enterprise centre.

The ground floor is seen predominantly as a combination of workshops, food units and an open market where the tenant businesses can produce goods and have them on sale in designated outlet areas. It is intended that the public will be free to move through the ground floor and have use of a bar, café, gallery and various outlet shops.

The Performing Arts School and the office areas are situated on the first floor. Both of these areas have designated access points from the ground floor and can thus be autonomous in use.

The residential element of the project is contained in two six
    storey finger blocks that sit on top of the podium. Access to the units is by means of circulation decks leading from three vertical cores and across planted bridges at each level. The apartments are all dual aspect East-West units and have generous floor areas and balconies. There is a private landscaped garden at second floor level for the residents use; it can be accessed from the street by a large external staircase or through any of the residential access cores.

This hybrid building with its intense mix of uses will act as a catalyst for future development in this run down area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Thereyago

Hi, Just about to move into Castleforbes. Was wondering if anybody has had anymore updates about when or if NTL will be available in Castleforbes?

I was speaking to Johnny the other day when I got the keys and I he said that Sky Conway was doing the telly stuff etc.
    I asked if NTL would be out and he had a look of near confusion or shock and said that the place would have to be wired for NTL et al to come out.

Magnet are looking into it at the moment too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MHJB

Hi All

Does anybody know the official way of writing our address? I know it would look something like this:

999 Castleforbes Sq
    Dublin 1

but, do we need to add anything else like "Docklands" or "North Wall Quay"? Just curious, thats all.

Cheers.

I've been writing:

xxx Castleforbes Square
    Dublin 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 userid

XXX Castleforbes Square
    Castleforbes Road
    Dublin 1

gets everything to me.

I took great comfort in reading about others having similar problems in trying to get a phone/broadband. Like some of you I have been given a phone number by BT but when i plug the phone into the wall I hear nothing! Eircom's problem apparently - I got the cabling story. 4 months of arguing with BT customer care... beyond frustrated with them at this stage. And - wait for it - I've been billed by them for installation and rental...arrgh!!

Otherwise loving living at Castleforbes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Thereyago

Just spoke to Brian Dowling from NTL.
    Apparently Danninger are allowing NTL to wire up all new developments including the new phase in Castleforbes. NTL also put in a proposal to retro-fit the existing Danninger developments (including Castleforbes Block D & E) but Danninger refused it stating that existing developements must stay with sky conway.

Seems strange to me that Danninger can dictate to residences what services we can receive.

Brian Dowling suggested that castleforbes should have a residents commitee to get to the bottom of these issues and apply some pressure with a voice for the residence.
    He also said that if Danninger have an exclusive aggreement with sky conway it may be illegal....

Sounds like a residence commitee would be a good idea. Anyone been on a residence commitee before? Anyone know how or want to get the ball rolling?

As far as i know... There can't be a residents committee until the developer has sold the last unit in the development and handed it over to the management company.

Once the management co take control of the devolopment they set up the residents association.

In my bosses development in the IFSC, they developer kept 1 unit and never handed over the development entirely... and they had to set up their own "private" committee in oirder to get things done...

ON a brighter note...
    My DSL light is Bright Green this afternoon
    This menans once BT activate my account in the next few hours... mu lovely 3MB connection will be up and running!

I have also cancelled my clearwire... they collected my modem within 45 mins of me cancelling. And are not charging me any cancellation fee.... (were just glad to get rid of me and my moaning!)

Special thanks to SpongeBob for all his help and tips in pusing the right buttons in rder to expediate the eircom installation

We could all just sign a petition or something and give it to both NTL and Danninger and tell them to get their fingers out and do something.
    Whether the building has been handed over or not, we own the vast majority of it, so should be able to dictate what we want done with our own apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should be able to have more than one provider, although neither will like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whatsat

just wondering what thoughts anyone has on safety in the area - would you walk home after dark? are there ever dodgy types hanging out nearby? how safe are cars parked on the street?

whatsat wrote:
    just wondering what thoughts anyone has on safety in the area - would you walk home after dark? are there ever dodgy types hanging out nearby? how safe are cars parked on the street?

hey I'm in Block D now about 4 months and I have walked home on a good few occasions, usually when there isn't a taxi in sight in town. I've had absolutely no hassle. Walk along the quays and for the first part your walking with tourists heading back to the hotels. Although it is very quiet as there is nothing but warehouses yet around the area i've never had any issues or worries. I've also had friends over parking their cars on the street and touch wood nothing has ever happened and it appears very safe.

ryan27 wrote:
    hey I'm in Block D now about 4 months and I have walked home on a good few occasions, usually when there isn't a taxi in sight in town. I've had absolutely no hassle. Walk along the quays and for the first part your walking with tourists heading back to the hotels. Although it is very quiet as there is nothing but warehouses yet around the area i've never had any issues or worries. I've also had friends over parking their cars on the street and touch wood nothing has ever happened and it appears very safe.
    totally agree - never had any issues myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whatsat

sounds good, I'm about to sign contracts for an apartment in Block C and was starting to worry about the "neighbourhood" as it did seem very quiet on a couple of evenings when I was there. I'd hate to think I wouldn't feel safe walking home from work in the Winter...

Advertisement