Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote desktop into a windows 2003 server wont log off local user?

• 08-05-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Im am remote desktopping into a windows 2003 enterprise server with a windows xp pro machine, using the same user that is logged into the windows 2003 machine locally.

Basically i want it to log off the local user when i login using remote desktop.

Because at the moment when i log in using remote desktop it is in effect logging in a different user (even though it is the same username as the local user) and each user is running different programs..

When you remote desktop into a windows xp pro machine it logs off the local user... which is exactly what i want. is it possible to set windows 2003 sever so that only 1 instance of a user is logged in (wether it be loaclly at the machine or through remote desktop) and when when logs in it logs the other off.

Is it possible??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Dunno if it's possible to set Windows 2003 Server up like that - I would hope not!

Go to task manager and the users tab there shows you who's logged in. You can logoff or disconnect any user from there.

You can also connect to the (console) session if required.
    From a command prompt: mstsc -v:<computer name/IP> -console will connect you to the console session of the specified server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    Dunno if it's possible to set Windows 2003 Server up like that - I would hope not!

Go to task manager and the users tab there shows you who's logged in. You can logoff of disconnect any user from there

ah i know that, but it used to be sweet with win xp pro it just allows 1 instance of any given user, i would have though it would be the same with win 2003 :(

gline wrote:
    ah i know that, but it used to be sweet with win xp pro it just allows 1 instance of any given user, i would have though it would be the same with win 2003 :(
    I abhor that functionality on Windows XP Pro. FFS, you'd think MS would allow it to be remotely managed.
    It's hell having to force logoffs for people when you need to remotely manage their PC :(

WizZard wrote:
    I abhor that functionality on Windows XP Pro. FFS, you'd think MS would allow it to be remotely managed.
    It's hell having to force logoffs for people when you need to remotely manage their PC :(

yeh but with 2003 you have the problem of multiple instances of 1 user do
    ing all sorts and not knowing what the other is doing, it can cause all sorts of problems

so its not possible in 2003 to just allow 1 instance of a user only?

Multiple instances of a the same user aren't a problem in general, and should never be a problem in a managed network.

I doubt that it's possible, I know to get that functionality (i.e. one local, one remote user) in Windows XP Pro you have to replace a DLL so it would seem that it's not a system setting...
    I've never heard of anyone wanting to go the other way, back to one live login only. (I can't see the point of it...)
    You can limit remote simultaneous connections to one in the connections option within Terminal Services Configuration MMC, but this still allows one remote and one local login.
    VNC might be better for you in this instance than TS.

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    Multiple instances of a the same user aren't a problem in general, and should never be a problem in a managed network.

I doubt that it's possible, I know to get that functionality (i.e. one local, one remote user) in Windows XP Pro you have to replace a DLL so it would seem that it's not a system setting...
    I've never heard of anyone wanting to go the other way, back to one live login only. (I can't see the point of it...)
    You can limit remote simultaneous connections to one in the connections option within Terminal Services Configuration MMC, but this still allows one remote and one local login.
    VNC might be better for you in this instance than TS.

does vnc provide that functionality??? (1 instance of a user)
    it does cause problems, if a program only allows one instance open and the local user has it open, u log in with remote desktop and you cant open that program and you dont see that the other instance has it open... i thought there might be a work-around, obviously not :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

VNC shares the local desktop. If someone is logged in you can both fight to control the mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well you can stop 2 instances of the same user from logging into the TS Box

http://www.thinmanager.com/TechNotes/Microsoft/WindowsTips_main.shtml#multiple

Should help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

It takes over the console user rather than the TS user I think.. its been a while since i did this, but i think it kept the programs open as if i was the console user...

Ginger wrote:
    Well you can stop 2 instances of the same user from logging into the TS Box

http://www.thinmanager.com/TechNotes/Microsoft/WindowsTips_main.shtml#multiple

Should help
    I don't think that prevents the same login at the console though :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Or go into terminal services manager, right click on the console user and log them off ;)

Or go into terminal services manager, right click on the console user and log them off ;)

yeh what a pain in the a** ;)
    and wizz you are right it still allows 1 local user and 1 remote user

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Or take control of that session :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There's a group policy for win2k3 to only allow one login per username, you may need extra adm files to get it though, but its there.

so from what ive read here and elsewhere i guess it isnt possible to do what i need, logging off local user when logging in locally, so only 1 instance of a user is allowed.

i thought there might have been a registry hack, but i cant see that anywhere :(

I don't see how it's possible. As I've said, that functionality is enclosed in a terminal services DLL, and seems to be hardcoded (at least in XP).

Why on earth would anyone want that functionality. It's not server functionality you are looking for, it's workstation. And why would they include that in a strictly server product?

I mean, if someone tried to sell me a server OS and said that it would log off the console whilst I logged in remotely I would laugh him/her out of my office (cube :))

WizZard wrote:
    I don't see how it's possible. As I've said, that functionality is enclosed in a terminal services DLL, and seems to be hardcoded (at least in XP).

Why on earth would anyone want that functionality. It's not server functionality you are looking for, it's workstation. And why would they include that in a strictly server product?

I mean, if someone tried to sell me a server OS and said that it would log off the console whilst I logged in remotely I would laugh him/her out of my office (cube :))

but you should have the option to enable it as an admin IF you want

gline wrote:
    but you should have the option to enable it as an admin IF you want
    But then thing is that no admin using a server OS would want that.

WizZard wrote:
    But then thing is that no admin using a server OS would want that.

if a server is in a remote location
    you would usually use the local login to install hardware etc and do everything else with a remote login from another machine.

why would you need to 2 logged on at once then?? it would just cause problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Perhaps try the terminal service commands in a batch file.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html

quser to identify the users currently connected, session number etc.
    Using this info you have to determine which session is you.
    logoff to logoff other sessions.

change user /install
    to set your session to TS application install mode

Place in a startup script, and watch hilarily ensue as you and your colleagues keep kicking each other off.

+1 vote for "will cause more trouble than its worth", kicking off other admins when all you're doing is checking event logs or resetting a users password will just annoy everyone.
    Rarely is exclusive access needed.

• Advertisement

funny u should say that as there only will be one person using it and that is me, so no users to log off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Would you not download the adminpak.msi then go to your admin tools Remote desktops and log in with the same user it should log you into that session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

You can connect to the console in 2k3, that would only allow for one instance. I believe you add -console or /console to the rdp command line.

IDMUD wrote:
    You can connect to the console in 2k3, that would only allow for one instance. I believe you add -console or /console to the rdp command line.

ah .. now that would be interesting
    i must check that out

it is possible running the command
    mstsc -v:servername /F -console

Advertisement