Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'How was your Exam?' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

rain on wrote:
    lol. they had copies of poems with them.

idiots. you can totally get away with a lack of quotage in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

rain on wrote:
    i had my last invigilation shift today - first year english. four people caught cheating - morons. think i spotted a boardsie or two too.
    i was there anyway. cant see why anyone would cheat though, completely unnecessary. the assesment essay was worth 50%, if you did a half decent attempt at that you'd already have passed, plus you could just avoid the poetry quotes by doing the unseen poem. what're the repercussions of cheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

griffdaddy wrote:
    i was there anyway. cant see why anyone would cheat though, completely unnecessary. the assesment essay was worth 50%, if you did a half decent attempt at that you'd already have passed, plus you could just avoid the poetry quotes by doing the unseen poem. what're the repercussions of cheating?
    were you sitting in rows 1-10? if so i probably saw you.

dunno what the punishment is for cheating, in theory you can be suspended but i don't know if that happens very often. it's up to the exams office and the department really. personally i don't see how it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i was in 189, not sure what row that is though?:p

griffdaddy wrote:
    i was in 189, not sure what row that is though?:p
    towards the front of row 7 i think. you were in my section so.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

how did they catch the 4 people cheating? were they all togther or something? and how the hell did four people decided to do something so stupid - i mean it's not exactly easy to take a sly sheet out of your pocket look at it and put it back without being seen. and i presume you're asked to turn out your pockets before going to the toilets (although i wouldn't know as i've never gone to the toilet during an exam), so they hardly thought the invigilator wouldn't see it. idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Font22 wrote:
    u'll be ok larkin. as much as i hate rossa at times he seems to be a fair marker.

Hope so, and with criminal on monday thats an auto pass - mcdermott is a legend!

Red Alert wrote:
    how did they catch the 4 people cheating? were they all togther or something? and how the hell did four people decided to do something so stupid - i mean it's not exactly easy to take a sly sheet out of your pocket look at it and put it back without being seen. and i presume you're asked to turn out your pockets before going to the toilets (although i wouldn't know as i've never gone to the toilet during an exam), so they hardly thought the invigilator wouldn't see it. idiots!
    three people had poems and/or notes in their pencilcases. no, you're not asked to turn out your pockets but invigilators can randomly check your pencilcase i think - that's how they were caught. one girl was listening to stuff on headphones - i don't know how that works or how she thought she wouldn't get caught. there was another guy who kept looking at something in his pocket - the last i heard he was being watched, i don't know if he was actually found to be cheating or not. people are loons. me and my section head are both from the english department and we had a good tut tut over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Hope so, and with criminal on monday thats an auto pass - mcdermott is a legend!

god i love that man, i'd happily marry him. i was driving into the lib one day last week tho and saw him with a woman :(
    i used to love sitting tort or criminal cause the questions were so funny and it didnt feel like work!! have u had his bro yet for EU law?? another legend

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

earphones? that really does defy logic! they'd need an ipod or minidisc player with a remote hidden somewhere. sounds like a lot of work to organise!

what do ye do when you catch someone? do ye wait until the end of the exam or do ye nab them there and then?

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    earphones? that really does defy logic! they'd need an ipod or minidisc player with a remote hidden somewhere. sounds like a lot of work to organise!

what do ye do when you catch someone? do ye wait until the end of the exam or do ye nab them there and then?
    i think they're nabbed there and then, so to speak. if invigilators think someone is cheating we're not meant to say anything though, we have to point them out to the section head who says 'oi, stop that'. but i think they're allowed finish their exam and all, there's just an incident report filed for the exams office and they and the department take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Font22 wrote:
    god i love that man, i'd happily marry him. i was driving into the lib one day last week tho and saw him with a woman :(
    i used to love sitting tort or criminal cause the questions were so funny and it didnt feel like work!! have u had his bro yet for EU law?? another legend

his lectures were so funny, shame i didnt go enough this year

we didnt have james for EU this year, quite annoying, everyone in BCL said he is funnier than Paul :eek: he must be an absolute comedian then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Red Alert wrote:

That's a good idea, I actually got that idea before :D I don't think I'd risk it though, tbh... But it'd be easy enough...

Do invigilators ask people to take off hats? Cos if not, you could just record yourself reciting whatever it is you need to know, and have an FM transmitter on your mp3 player (like they use to play an iPod through the car radio), and have an earphone with a little antenna coming out of it. Cover it up with a beanie hat! It might look a little suss, but I'm sure it's workable ;) Or if you pretend you need a hearing aid, then you mightn't even need a hat! You could get a doctor to write a note if you know one.

hmmm :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

*Disclaimer* Don't do this. I'm not suggesting you should. It is very bold.

My cheating idea is to get someone else to sit the paper for you.
    Basically, make a fake exam card (subsitute your pic for your buddy), they sit the exam and 'forget' their student card. If it's a large class, the lecturer would have no idea who's in their class if they attend the exam.
    The person just has to be the same sex as you.
    Foolproof!
    Of course, I'd never do this for fear of being found out and thrown out of college.

Font22 wrote:

james? do you know he's apparently only 28 or somethin' despite the grey?
    Pythia wrote:
    My cheating idea is to get someone else to sit the paper for you.
    Basically, make a fake exam card (subsitute your pic for your buddy), they sit the exam and 'forget' their student card. If it's a large class, the lecturer would have no idea who's in their class if they attend the exam.
    The person just has to be the same sex as you.
    Foolproof!
    Of course, I'd never do this for fear of being found out and thrown out of college

I had actually thought of that. There's also nothing to stop you writing notes on your thighs, putting notes in your sock and going to the bathroom...I imagine there's a million ways to get away with it if you're deceitful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

ya know if u forgget ur id (of any sort) and they just make you initial that bit of paper. How do they know its u? Surely they dont memorise your face and check student card photos later on?

Anyways, final exam was today. Was a little worried i wouldnt get there on time. Bus was late and then said bus got hit by some dozy driver. I was on the top floor and i saw the car pulling out and thought " o bollox". Nothing happened for like 2 seconds and i thought i was wrong then the screeching. No one was hurt.

Front right of the car was fuxored and bumper hanging off. Bus had a couple scratches. Had to laugh at that :p

Exam itself was easy (u dont know how happy i am to say that. This was one of the two exams i was dreading) and shoulda done well enough in the exam to get me a pass after my crappy continous assesment performance. Guess that 12hrs of study without a break did the trick.

Overall 5 exams and 1 project. Think i passed all bar that maths. Wootage. Need to find something to do tonight tho, most of my m8s still doing exams.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    ya know if u forgget ur id (of any sort) and they just make you initial that bit of paper. How do they know its u? Surely they dont memorise your face and check student card photos later on?

Anyways, final exam was today. Was a little worried i wouldnt get there on time. Bus was late and then said bus got hit by some dozy driver. I was on the top floor and i saw the car pulling out and thought " o bollox". Nothing happened for like 2 seconds and i thought i was wrong then the screeching. No one was hurt.

Front right of the car was fuxored and bumper hanging off. Bus had a couple scratches. Had to laugh at that :p

Exam itself was easy (u dont know how happy i am to say that. This was one of the two exams i was dreading) and shoulda done well enough in the exam to get me a pass after my crappy continous assesment performance. Guess that 12hrs of study without a break did the trick.

Overall 5 exams and 1 project. Think i passed all bar that maths. Wootage. Need to find something to do tonight tho, most of my m8s still doing exams.

Nice cup of tea and a sit down? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The toilets in RDS use UV lights. So just cover your body in writing with a UV pen like bouncers have. No one will be able to see it until you're in the jacks and pull up your sleeves/pants leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

don't think they are gonna see pen on your thighs because they wouldn't be looking at your thighs in the first place

or are they strip searching now?

tywy wrote:
    are they strip searching now?
    i can think of a few students i'd like to strip search.. wha wha wha

sorry, it was crying out for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Sangre wrote:
    The toilets in RDS use UV lights. So just cover your body in writing with a UV pen like bouncers have. No one will be able to see it until you're in the jacks and pull up your sleeves/pants leg.

Brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

rain_on, I hope to god you aren't an invigilator!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm soooo tired. Having two exams on a saturday and missing the rugby should be illegal.
    Went okay, probably passed, better than i thought anyway!

tywy wrote:
    rain_on, I hope to god you aren't an invigilator!
    no i'm not, i've just been inventing invigilation stories on this thread for the last two weeks.

rain on wrote:
    no i'm not, i've just been inventing invigilation stories on this thread for the last two weeks.

LMAO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

rain on wrote:
    I knew it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Nice cup of tea and a sit down?

Was thinking more along the lines of getting rat arsed personally ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sangre wrote:

Would certainly help for any exams where you need to memorise formulae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sexuality and Society in Medieval Ireland.
    Wasn't too bad but wasn't as good as it should've been considering she practically gave us the paper.

One pretty good question, two not so great but not too bad questions.

ONE LEFT!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Pythia wrote:
    Would certainly help for any exams where you need to memorise formulae.
    I remember that happening for the leaving cert mocks. They let us bring in our own maths tables, and never checked them, so loads of people had stuff written in them. I didn't see the point in cheating in the mocks anyway, it's not like they actually meant anything.

They do write the time that you went to the toilet on the answer book though, so if a lecturer correcting it sees that you were doing crap, then went to the toilet, and came back and could suddenly add a load of quotes/formula that you didn't have before they might be a bit suspicious.

Advertisement