Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'How was your Exam?' Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

rain on wrote:
    no i'm not, i've just been inventing invigilation stories on this thread for the last two weeks.

serves me right for not readin' the rest of the thread! Damnit! I thought I'd gotten away with it....

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Just back from LAST day invigilating EVER. Weird feeling. :eek:

Was interesting though, B-K-DzR in first session sitting in my section.
    During that session, some poor kid asked the wrong( meaning not me ) inv for the score of the game....she didn't know and didn't care. Only asked me during tea break and when I went back in, the kid had already left. Might have been a little distracting though anyway ;)

And the next one was some civ eng drawing exam. Really interesting to watch them draw all this stuff. And they all arrived with loads of equipment (fancy typa rulers, etc).

I'm just soooo hungry now. Role on pizza!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

meowCat wrote:

And the next one was some civ eng drawing exam. Really interesting to watch them draw all this stuff. And they all arrived with loads of equipment (fancy typa rulers, etc).

I'm just soooo hungry now. Role on pizza!!! :)
    I was sitting that, worst time:work ratio out of all the exams! Only managed 2 out of 3 questions. Was easy otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Was interesting though, B-K-DzR in first session sitting in my section.
    glad to see someone finds me interesting ;)
    Dont think i saw ya but will dbl check the pics thread (if u got a pic there :p )

Btw, is there a max time u can be late? I know you got some time (was 10mins late before) but when that accident happened i started to wonder if there was a time when you would be just "too" late.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

half an hour is the official time i think. although the guy in the RDS is supposed to be sound enough as long as you're not bull****ting him.

• Advertisement

ah right, good to know. ty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Red Alert wrote:
    half an hour is the official time i think. although the guy in the RDS is supposed to be sound enough as long as you're not bull****ting him.

I think it's half an hour too, as no one's allowed out for the first half hour so you can't find out what's on the paper.
    Although, when my Dad was chief invigilator a few years back, people would turn up in the afternoon for a morning exam or things like that and were usually accommodated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Aha, that answers a question i had before. SO the chief invigilator position is held while you still keep your job then?

B-K-DzR wrote:
    glad to see someone finds me interesting ;)

:)
    B-K-DzR wrote:
    Dont think i saw ya but will dbl check the pics thread (if u got a pic there :p )
    nope, but that won't surprise you now any more. ;)
    B-K-DzR wrote:
    Btw, is there a max time u can be late? I know you got some time (was 10mins late before) but when that accident happened i started to wonder if there was a time when you would be just "too" late.

Have a look at the exams office's web page. They have the regulations up here.

It says:
    2. Except in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the invigilator-in-charge, candidates
    (i) will not normally be admitted to the examination hall if they are more than fifteen minutes late;

Honestly, from my experience, I think the important bit is: "at the discretion of the invigilator-in-charge". It shouldn't though. Strict rules would be a lot fairer for everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Pythia wrote:
    I think it's half an hour too, as no one's allowed out for the first half hour so you can't find out what's on the paper.
    Although, when my Dad was chief invigilator a few years back, people would turn up in the afternoon for a morning exam or things like that and were usually accommodated.

Half an hour is the official time, i thought, though i have seen a guy arrive 50 mins late - for a 2 hour exam! That bad enough but his phone then went off in the Simmonscourt exam hall. You don't get away with anything like that in Trinity. Really strict there.

And you can't leave in the first hour or last 10 mins, though few heed the latter.

I gotta admit, iv'e turned up in the morning for an afternoon exam, but i can't see them accomodating the opposite. (Though maybe you weren't not being that specific:) )

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    Aha, that answers a question i had before. SO the chief invigilator position is held while you still keep your job then?

Well maybe he wasn't chief invigilator, but was certainly in charge of one of the halls.
    I don't know exactly.

cast_iron wrote:
    Half an hour is the official time,
    no. Exams Office says 15min+whatever inv-in-charge allows.
    cast_iron wrote:
    hough i have seen a guy arrive 50 mins late - for a 2 hour exam!

which proves my point from above. And I'm not in the least surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yeah 50 mins is ridiculous to let people in. It's right during the time when people will have settled in, and probably be lost in a train of thought. To be disturbed during that by someone who is coming in late would be really annoying.

nope, but that won't surprise you now any more.
    Nope hehe :D
    If i was of the paranoid persuasion i'd think you did it on purpose so that us ickle 1st years cant embaress u by saying hi ;)
    Good thing im not :p

I don't usually get disturbed by people walking around but cos i lost my student card a while back i had to get asked for id today (and every other day during the exams) which lost me my train of thought and took about 5 mins to get it back. Own fault tho of course ;)

Last week after our programming exam (only one i have stayed to the end as it was only an hour exam)we were let go row by row as another group were still working away. Now if i was still working away the noise of a row by row exit of half the hall for about10mins would be a lot worse than an all at once exit for 3-4mins. Which hotshot thought up that rule? :)

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Nope hehe :D
    If i was of the paranoid persuasion i'd think you did it on purpose so that us ickle 1st years cant embaress u by saying hi ;)
    Good thing im not :p
    ah boo. Why would 1sties embarrass me! Ok, B-K-DzR...I will say hi (hmmmm, or meow) to you next time I see you. Where or whenever that might be!! We'll see who is embarrassed then :D
    B-K-DzR wrote:
    Now if i was still working away the noise of a row by row exit of half the hall for about10mins would be a lot worse than an all at once exit for 3-4mins. Which hotshot thought up that rule? :)
    I suppose the theory is, that if less people are trying to squeeze through one door, you avoid a bottleneck at that end and people will get out quicker. Also, if you have one big group of students, it's very likely, they will start chatting and not caring about the others still writing. Also, if you let them out row by row, meaning less people, we should be able to spot if they are passing on any information or material to any of those who are still writing.

Ok, so much for the theory. In practice...it's disturbing, annoying and it's not quicker and not easier to control and they all talk anyway.

We'll see who is embarrassed then
    Well if u say meow i'd imagine it would be you :D
    If ya going to the boards beers you can meow at me then (just be sure to give me some warning so i can get a crowd to watch )

I'd actually never thought of it from a bottleneck or note passing (then again if ur all leaving what good is passing a note. Here i got the answers for the test you just handed up. dont tell anyone tho!! :p ).

Anyways, time for bed. Its weird going to bed without having to do some last minute, before sleep, revision (some reason i remember stuff better if i do it last thing at night and a quick recap first thing in the morning). Joys of exams over, joys of job seeking start monday. Joy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah I'm gonna start looking for a job on Monday cos Saturday is mad in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

p_larkin99 wrote:
    his lectures were so funny, shame i didnt go enough this year

we didnt have james for EU this year, quite annoying, everyone in BCL said he is funnier than Paul :eek: he must be an absolute comedian then!

yea he is very funny, but i have a major soft spot for dermie.

james is 28???????? i find that v hard to believe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

biochem on a saturday morning in belfield = :mad:
    bullsh1tted my way through it so hopely managed a pass

did people check their provisional result dates?? 23rd June for me though last year i got them a week before the given date

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

23rd of June... just sounds so stupidly late. Though it's the day before my 22nd birthday, so if I pass then it's a double celebration! I remember looking up mine last year, just for the laugh, go getting a 7.8% average for the year! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

6th July. Ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah I'm disgusted with that too elmyra! it's so far away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ah ffs! 6th of July for us too by the looks of it. :o

I remember in first year I got my results on my 21st birthday. That was great.

It'd be excellent if you did well, not so happy if you failed something.

I'll be getting some of my results early.
    Connections ya know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i think its better to get ur results at the same time as everyone else. means u can all go out together and have a laugh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I'll be getting mine whilst still in college 19th of June - what fun! Rock on clinical placement.

1st years will have them by 30th june at the latest apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Cheesy Christ!

I'll have a masters and still be 21.

Old gray mare she ain't what she used to be, ain't what she use to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

B-K-DzR wrote:
    1st years will have them by 30th june at the latest apparently.

And probably earlier. Mine were out more than a week before they were due last year.

Stupid 2nd year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sangre wrote:
    Cheesy Christ!

I'll have a masters and still be 21.

Old gray mare she ain't what she used to be, ain't what she use to be...

Hehe...well I was over 5 starting school (mothers insistance on a certain primary school) did transition year, sat my Leaving Cert on my 19th birthday (French and History that day) and then bogged off to Australia for a year.

Meh...I'm happy to be this age finishing up. :)

Still though....1st year results on June 11th, second year results weren't too far away from that and now we have to wait until the 6th of July. Sucks.

Advertisement