Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jason Byrne gets Ireland recall

• 08-05-2006 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=343

A big squad, but great to see him in there. Hopefully he gets a proper run out this time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Jesus Christ, he's not even been Shels best striker this season. Still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Big squad, but great nonetheless! He's a great talent, and should be well motivated, if he gets a game he'll play well!

Might kick him into some good form aswell, or re-interest him in running! :D

Well done Jayo!

Gary o'Neill for Ireland!

Indeed! :D I think we may see Jayo in inspired form this evening, its worth it for that if it pulls through... :)

Certainly hope so. The Bohs game originally scheduled for the 19th was changed to the 20th because of Wards call-up to the under 21 squad, so I'm wondering whether it will be changed again or not...

• Advertisement

Fintan says on the official site it'll probably go back to the Friday 19th, as Ward has withdrawn injured I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Happy for Jayo but a little surprised as he hasnt been performing too well this season at all. Also the Spurs youngster Terry Dixon has been called up as well for his first tatse of senior action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Although he hasnt played well this season, he is a goalscorer and Ireland don't have that many.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Very surprised with Jayos inclusion because he hasnt been great at all this season. I wonder why he has been included now when he has played much better in the past. Its a strange one but at least Stan has now proved he isnt afraid to pick players from the EL.

By the way the full squad is as follows:

S Given Newcastle
    P Kenny Sheff Utd
    W Henderson Brighton
    G Breen Sunderland
    A O'Brien Portsmouth
    R Dunne Man City
    J O'Brien Bolton
    I Harte Levante
    S Finnan Liverpool
    L Lawrence S'land
    S Kelly Tottenham
    J O'Shea Man Utd
    S Reid Blackburn
    A Reid Tottenham
    J Douglas Leeds
    G Kavanagh Wigan
    A Quinn Sheff Utd
    A Lee Cardiff
    M Doyle Coventry
    D Duff Chelsea
    L Miller Leeds
    K Kilbane Everton
    S Elliott S'land
    A McGeady Celtic
    K Doyle Reading
    T Dixon Tottenham
    J Byrne Shelbourne
    R Keane Tottenham
    C Morrison Palace

A surprise inclusion for young Terry Dixon and im delighted that both Douglas and Miller have kept their places in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Disgraceful.

He shouldnt be called into the Ireland squad

If he were good enough, he would be playing in England

An insult to the aspiring irish internationals playing in the conference

I support an English team because the eL isnt worthy of my support.

Other silly slogans

Staunton OUT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

gimmick wrote:
    Disgraceful.

He shouldnt be called into the Ireland squad

If he were good enough, he would be playing in England

An insult to the aspiring irish internationals playing in the conference

I support an English team because the eL isnt worthy of my support.

Other silly slogans

Staunton OUT.
    you gave me a fright there at first i thought you were being serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Hes not good enough. I don't support any English team but I think this is a ploy by Pat Devlin to get him shipped off - remember Pat Devlin is his agent. George O'Callaghan is good enough and boy is he needed, can't see how they can ignore him. Young Wes deserves a chance too - Im a big fan, although moving to Scotland was aa dreadful move. Its a bloody step down for him playing for a pub team.

finnpark wrote:
    Hes not good enough. I don't support any English team but I think this is a ploy by Pat Devlin to get him shipped off - remember Pat Devlin is his agent. George O'Callaghan is good enough and boy is he needed, can't see how they can ignore him. Young Wes deserves a chance too - Im a big fan, although moving to Scotland was aa dreadful move. Its a bloody step down for him playing for a pub team.
    It was more of a stepping stone for Wes, he's almost certainly moving to Hearts/Aberdeen/Rangers:D this summer.

How is Byrne not good enough if he has been top scorer in the EL for the past three seasons?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It was more of a stepping stone for Wes, he's almost certainly moving to Hearts/Aberdeen/Rangers:D this summer.

How is Byrne not good enough if he has been top scorer in the EL for the past three seasons?

But he has been reletively poor so far this season which i why I dont understand why he has been included now. Anyway he has only been included in the training camp squad and could easily be dropped from the squad for the actual match.

Kingp35 wrote:
    But he has been reletively poor so far this season which i why I dont understand why he has been included now. Anyway he has only been included in the training camp squad and could easily be dropped from the squad for the actual match.
    Form is temporary though, class is permanent. Jayo has been top scorer in the league for the past three seasons and is on his way to making it four. This despite playing quite poorly this season. He really does infuriate me at times but you can't argue with his results.

He deserves the call for consistently scoring goals, although I do think Pat Devlin had more to do with than Jayo's goals have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    although I do think Pat Devlin had more to do with than Jayo's goals have.

Exactly my point, hes going to line his pockets if Byrne gets a transfer out of this this. :eek:

Disclaimer: These are only views and are not actual fact.

finnpark wrote:
    Exactly my point, hes going to line his pockets if Byrne gets a transfer out of this this. :eek:

Disclaimer: These are only views and are not actual fact.
    Yeah but I still think Jayo is good enough to earn a place in the squad on merit. Plus I seriously doubt Devlin is making any money out of Jayo being called up to the Ireland squad. The only way he will make money is if Byrne moves away from Shelbourne, and being called up for a "training match" is hardly putting him in a shop window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

With Jason not being in the best of form this season so far, this smells of (yet another) EL player picked soley for PR reasons. And judging by the comments on this thread so far, its worked a treat.

I'd love Stan to prove me wrong and give Jason a proper run, but I'm not holding my breath....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

MrJoeSoap in the Pat Devlin thread:
    Call up for Jason Byrne on the cards?

Big Ears wrote:

:D

Well spotted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Complete joke picking byrne i think. Hes painfully obvious hes not good enough at international level, specially going on his form this season.

I wonder who will be the token EL player in the next squad? Glen Crowe possibly?

Big Ears wrote:

While we're on the subject... check this out (the last line). That was almost 5 months before he even made his first-team debut! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Complete joke picking byrne i think. Hes painfully obvious hes not good enough at international level, specially going on his form this season.

As the old saying goes, if Clinton Morrison, Gary Doherty and Alan Lee can....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As the old saying goes, if Clinton Morrison, Gary Doherty and Alan Lee can....................

Clinto morrision is better then jason byrne.

So your arguement is for byrne being in the squad is " sure we picked **** players in the past, so why stop now?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Clinto morrision is better then jason byrne.

:D:D:D:D:D
    So your arguement is for byrne being in the squad is " sure we picked **** players in the past, so why stop now?"

Jason Byrne isn't sh!t. Sure he isn't world class but for hell sake he pisses all over the players I mentioned. Byrne's inclusion may be a token gesture but it's a token gesture for the right reasons. If Byrne played in England he would have already won at least 10 caps under his belt and there isn't a question about that. His place is deserved on merit. Well done to him and I hope he earns his second cap against Chile... better be more than 2 minutes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Morrison is awful, i would just say hes not a pro footballer and leave it at that.

Byrne is off form and DOES NOT deserve a call up which is what call ups are based on form, Byrne is off form and is only being picked as the token EL player.

Players shoudl be picked on Form and if that was the case, who would be the token EL player? I would even say Jayo eats the dinner prepared in the hotel 1st hes that much of a token, hes prolly not even gonna be staying there.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Should have been Georgie, in all fairness his been playing really well for awhile now, his temper seems to be getting under control and is a confidant player. Him playing with doyle again, we ELers know what they can do together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Morrison is a headless chicken.

Great to see Jayo in there, but when a muppet like Connolly picks up 40+ caps for Ireland, it totally devalues playing for your country. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Zebra3 wrote:
    Morrison is a headless chicken.

Great to see Jayo in there, but when a muppet like Connolly picks up 40+ caps for Ireland, it totally devalues playing for your country. :(
    Up until, say the World Cup, I always though Connolly was worth his place in the squad. Half his caps came from the bench anyway and he has a better start to him international career than Robbie Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

O Callaghan isnt fit.

kdjac

Advertisement