Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is water coming from?

Options
  • 08-05-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that water is running from the joint where the uPVC soffit meets the wall when it is raining. I don't think this is normal but cannot understand where it is coming from and in time, me thinks, will cause water damage to the wall. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

It could be coming from the membrane under your tiles.
    If it is you may have a few broken tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd be worried.
    If you have access and a ladder get up there with a the hose and have a look.
    Water pouring down the side of the house will lift your paint and thats the least of your worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

It has a brick exterior so no paint to damage. Does this defect need urgent attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well since its now summer (not that you would think so after todays efforts) its probably not an immediate concern.
    That said I wouldnt hang about, gutters do more than stop water dripping onto your head.
    Id get someone out to have a look if you cant check yourself.
    If its getting behind the soffit who knows where else its getting.
    Maybe if nothing else have a poke around in your attic...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd agree with Viking House - it may be getting under the tiles. A good look in the attic may provide some answers. Time for a torch and a ladder..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Water getting in under the tiles, tile headlap too small or chimney flashing leaking.

All water will flow to the back of the facis and most likely lodge there because the roofer or builder didn't fit a tilting fillet to support the felt which would allow the water to flow into the gutter instead of ponding.

Can it cause harm ? of course it can, you are just noticing it now how long has it been travelling down the wall inside the cavity ?

A broken tile or two is easy the rest get a good roofer ;)

Advertisement