Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old House - not prewired for alarm, Help!

Options
  • 08-05-2006 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Our house is an old two storey stone house and was not originally pre wired for an alarm... as the house was built in 1886!

So i am currently looking for info on getting a good DIY wireless kit, as I dont want to go through the nightmare that would be laying cable all over the house.

I dont have a fortune to spend and the kits ive seen in woodies/argos etc look a bit dodgy to say the least.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

There is a good selection here insert Alarm systems in the search box. Home delivery is free. AEI have a solar bell box with is pretty nifty and is stocked by farnell. You will need to have some idea as to what you need though, before ordering.

The biggest deterrant is a visable bell box mounted on the outside of your house, you don't want to be the only house on the street without at least a bell box, that's an open invite. You can even buy dummy bell boxes from most alarm suppliers for about €30, I know Aritech used to sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

AdrianR wrote:
    There is a good selection here insert Alarm systems in the search box. Home delivery is free. AEI have a solar bell box with is pretty nifty and is stocked by farnell. You will need to have some idea as to what you need though, before ordering.

The biggest deterrant is a visable bell box mounted on the outside of your house, you don't want to be the only house on the street without at least a bell box, that's an open invite. You can even buy dummy bell boxes from most alarm suppliers for about €30, I know Aritech used to sell them.

http://ie.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=830554401&N=401

I installed this one 2 years ago. no problems. Easy enough to configure. Just need to place bell box below eaves so it gets sunlight to charge. I bought it from a different site, but similar price...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I got that same alarm (AEI solarguard) on ebay last year, not got around to installing it yet, but tested ok and has good instructions.

This guy had the alarms plus extra sensors, smoke detector etc...

http://cgi3.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=reddragonexpress

also FYI if you want to add glass break sensors, pressure mats etc... that aren't supplied with this alarm, it can be done. The door sensor has a 2 connection terminal block at the bottom, that can be used for any standard NC sensor.

also p.s. the most recent of these runs at 434 Mhz, you might see cheaper / older ones at different frequencies, but could be difficult to get replacement / extra parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the info!

So its not going to be as big a nightmare as I thought!

Advertisement