Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB in Douglas Cork down again.

• 08-05-2006 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Any one else having problems with their BB in the Cork region - most of the business connections in the East Village Douglas area are down, and so far I have received about 10 phone calls from customers in other parts of the city also with connection problems.

Any one here from Carrigaline - is that working? I might go work from home.

oh yeah and SCREW EIRCOM - Again. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Feckin eircon! Carigaline out too. I had no connection this morning , not even the 2 kbps upload crawling I had last time. Deffo going wireless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, but Chorus like!

Damien reckoned 021 was down, which implies another problem at Churchfield. That would make this the third major outage in Churchfield recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Back up now in Cork City.Was down since 9am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

My PPPoE session went down at 9:10am and came back up at 1:36pm. The DSL was up at all times so it wasn't a problem with the DSLAM's in the Douglas exchange but something going on in Churchfield once again where the BAS is, wholly unacceptable during a working day though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭zen63

Yes mine is up now also - fully unacceptable - this is getting quite frequent also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Hi Guys,

Yes - down for the morning - once again - here in Carrigaline. Worse than the last time though - Router would not even 'log on' to Broadband. DSL Sync on all the time though.

For those in Carrigaline Douglas looking to go alternative Wireless try -

www.novanetworks.ie

"With Nova their is no contact whatsoever with the eircom network – using the Cork City MAN and ESB Network to connect to the PoP in Dublin."

This quote from an email I got via a guy selling their products.

Maybe these guys are the answer?

Prices:

The installation cost is €145 with monthly rental of €89 for the 3Mb/3MB service, €49 for 2Mb/2Mb and €39 for 1Mb/1Mb.

Either a solution like this OR all back to 56K Modems and dialup :(

Cheers
    Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 abcd

Same issue with UTV. Still down at 2.10pm today. Rang UTV support and they told me Eircom had informed them that they are working on a "transmission fault" in the Cork area.

Wish I could get Nova but sadly it's not to be; had CPE here last week and didn't even get a hint of a signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Acerferrari3200

Eircom have had a large outage in the cork area Today. The issue has been localised to the quaker exchange.

• Advertisement

Allegedly and I am not joking, word is - from some calls I have got, that A JCB ripped up some cable around this exchange this morning. How true this is I am not sure ...
    Cheers
    Aidan

Hard to understand why Quaker Road would take out the entire city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Because the infrastructure builders and decisions makers are muppets who never thought to build in redundency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Damien reckoned 021 was down, which implies another problem at Churchfield. That would make this the third major outage in Churchfield recently.

Yeah it seemed to be more than one exchange at least. I'd have rung my buddies in eircom to give me the inside track except for some reason which I can't understand, I don't have buddys in eircom.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes, word from eircom to us was that a JCB had cut through fibre. Churchfield seems to be a single-point-of-failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

douglasman wrote:
    My PPPoE session went down at 9:10am and came back up at 1:36pm.

Ours went down in Midleton at 09:10am also, but just came back up at 16:00. Netsource told us that the **** hit the Quaker Road fan.
    Hope whoever cut those cables gets the ****ing chop. I actually had to work today! Where the hell is Quaker Road anyway?

Parallel to Douglas Street (bottom-right). I still don't understand how an issue at Quaker Road can kill the whole city. Churchfield, yes, sadly, but Quaker Road?

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Parallel to Douglas Street (bottom-right). I still don't understand how an issue at Quaker Road can kill the whole city. Churchfield, yes, sadly, but Quaker Road?

When I was a summer student* in Eircom, Cork in 1995, it was explained to me that all the exchanges south of the city connect into Quaker Road and then route from there up to Churchfield. I guess this is still the case.

* I only ever worked for them for that summer, never since!

Wasn't the northside down?

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Wasn't the northside down?

If the break was indeed at or near Quaker Road, then the northside should not have been affected at all. Anyone here on Churchfield exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LesMack

Hello all,

I'm in Donnybrook (Cork) and I've got UTV BB. I've been having intermittent problems for the past couple of months. Over the last 2-3 weeks or so things deteriorated, with my BB connection disappearing frequently for hours at a time, it was generally going around 5pm and then coming back around 10pm, but finally on Thursday last week it completely packed in so I have now been completely without BB the last 4 days.

According to UTV tech support (when I got through), there is a global ticket open with eircom but I get the impression that they are not pushing the case too strongly at all...they are certainly not keeping me up to date and I feel a bit like a mushroom (kept in the dark and fed sh*t).

I've got my sync light on the modem but the activity light is off when it should be flashing.

I got here on dial up. Anyone else in the same boat or know what's going on? Does anyone know is there any hope of this being resolved?

And as if things were'nt bad enough after no B/Band today earlier [ :) ] - Went down to the local in Carrigaline with the Bro in Law to find the price of the Pint of Guinness was now gone up by 20 CENT, jeez. Now €3.75 - thats the equivilent of £2.99 in old money. Ah Shur, I suppose Diagio looked at the fact that there sales were dropping so what else do you do but - PUT THE PRICES UP. Of course it makes marketing / fiscal sense. What a business ....

Cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Has the quaker road exchange come back yet for anyone? I'm on the douglas exchange and my broadband is back but my friend on quaker road can't get her connection back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

aidanodr wrote:
    And as if things were'nt bad enough after no B/Band today earlier [ :) ] - Went down to the local in Carrigaline with the Bro in Law to find the price of the Pint of Guinness was now gone up by 20 CENT, jeez. Now €3.75 - thats the equivilent of £2.99 in old money. Ah Shur, I suppose Diagio looked at the fact that there sales were dropping so what else do you do but - PUT THE PRICES UP. Of course it makes marketing / fiscal sense. What a business ....

Cheers
    Aidan

Ah well thats what you get for Drinking Dublin Slop water ;) Probably trying to make back all the money they've wasted on the Grab All Association!

center15 wrote:
    Has the quaker road exchange come back yet for anyone? I'm on the douglas exchange and my broadband is back but my friend on quaker road can't get her connection back.

I'm on the Quaker Road exchange and my UTV broadband hasn't come back yet as of 10am this morning.

I'm only guessing, but it seems like Eircom does actually have some bit of redundancy, and was able to reroute their traffic from other exchanges away from Quaker Road.

Now the question is how long it'll take them to repair the JCB damage....bets anyone?

Its back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

We're with BT, on the Quaker Road exchange. BB was working Monday morning at 8am, then noticed it was gone at about 1pm, and only came back sometime this morning (Tuesday). Some fella in a JCB... typical :rolleyes:

BT Customer Support was as vague as ever.... "Should be fixed again in the next few hours. Or could be days. If that's the problem." Ok thanks!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I wonder how many people will actually get that./

• Advertisement
Advertisement