Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor signal strength

• 08-05-2006 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there guys.

I recently bought a new pc, its a real animal. But it didnt come with a wireless lan card, so i went out and picked up a belkin one, 802,11g is the number on it. I installed it grand and away it went picking up the signal and i could surf the net.

But I didnt notice until today that the signal strength is only being picked up at 40%. I have another pc in the room next across the way maybe 10ft and it picks the strength of 90%, the source of the signal is next door(no illegal scams bought two houses and made em into one)

The pc picking it up at 90% is using a usb adapater from 3com, not the little usb sticks but a kinda box plugged into the usb port with an antenna. I'm using a card at the back of my pc for the weak signal.

Is there anyway to boost this signal streggnth caue it is causing major lag in games that i cannot stand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I think I saw the word BELKIN in there somewhere, I'm afraid you've sealed your fate pretty much to low signal hell,there's a reason they are so cheap, they're cr@p!

Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well there was a linksy or something one, it was more what i wanted, it was a usb adapater but not like a usb mem stick it was a big box and what looked powerful, double the price but that would get me a better signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Heres my experience:

In terms of Signal Strength, I have the following wireless adaptors:

USB Netgear ME111

Belkin PCI Pre-N Mimo Card

Sitecom Mimo XR card

Dell 802.11b inbuilt card

Netgear PCMCIA Pre-N Mimo Card

Buffalo PCMCIA 54g

Of the above, both the Belkin Mimo and Netgear Mimo perform the best. I'd get 70% signal strength from both, approx.

I have a netgear rangemax router, WPN824

The USB Netgear does well, but will drop out occassionally.

The Sitecom MimoXR is ok, though not as good as I'd hoped, and will occassionally drop out. I even plugged in 3 x 15inch 9dbi antennae into it, which helped but not enough to get minimal packet loss for VOIP. I'd get 40-50% signal strength.

The Dell one barely works in the same room as the router...

The Buffalo was quite good in my last apartment, and I haven't used it in comparison to the other cards.

So now I'm going to order a Linksys WRG54GX with desktop antennae, and plug in 3 x 9dbi antennae, in a quest to get optimal wireless performance. If that doesn't do it, then I'll either get a 39DBi antennae, or I'll run an ethernet cable through my apartment.

This is so, going through three internal walls in a Georgian building, I have sufficient signal strength to get great quality VOIP reception.

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

well there was a linksy or something one, it was more what i wanted, it was a usb adapater but not like a usb mem stick it was a big box and what looked powerful, double the price but that would get me a better signal?

Would reccomend swopping the Belkin for the Linksys as the Linksys have better radios and are better supported. You can be lucky with Belkin gear but more often than not you end up frustrated and confused because it works, it doesn't work, it works... etc and with no obvious reason.

Munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe the fact the little antenna is hidden down behind your pc with the weak signal isn't helping , try turning the pc back to front as a test to see if the signal improves.If it improves enough ,go get an antenna with a cable for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement