Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutters & Weeds Terraced Houses

Options
  • 08-05-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Does anybody know who is responsible for the top guttering on the terraced houses? We are in the Wood and as they are the first phase, the houses have been up for longer and there are a load of weeds & moss building up which will eventually cause damage. I am not getting up there, neither am I asking himself, but because it affects the full row, would anyone have any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

This was a duplication of my previous message

I was onto Wyse about that same problem. The accumulated dirt in the gutters above our decking was spilling out onto the decking making it unsafe to walk on it.

Their response was (not verbatim): "..we would have problems accessing some back gardens so we may allocate a budget for next year.." They refer to next year as being 2006. I haven't hounded them about it as yet, but I will very soon as the paint work on our window sills (upstairs front & back) are flaking away and showing the grey concrete.

I'm in the The Wood also.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wifey

Thanks for that, to be honest I hadnt noticed the back, it was the front that botherd me, but I will say it to wyse there is nothing stoppping them from getting to the front.
    Thanks

Let us know how you get on with Wyse.

I found the response from Wyse regarding the cleaning of the gutters. This was sent in Nov 2005. As I said in a previous post, 'there was no specific charge for gutter cleaning in the 2005 Charlesland Wood budget'

I have sent another email to them this afternoon regarding the same issue and waiting a response. I'll let you know what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Plenty wrote:
    I found the response from Wyse regarding the cleaning of the gutters. This was sent in Nov 2005. As I said in a previous post, 'there was no specific charge for gutter cleaning in the 2005 Charlesland Wood budget'

I have sent another email to them this afternoon regarding the same issue and waiting a response. I'll let you know what they say.

I think Wifey said this morning she was going to call them, but when I spoke to her a couple of minutes ago, she was up to her eyes.

I'll keep you posted.

Yes I have phoned at 9.09 they open from 9.30-5.30 and am still waiting to be called back. Our problem is that with all the rain lately, The topp gutter is overflowing and dripping dow, I think it has actually shrted our Alarm box, and there was a very evident "Wet Patch" on the facing wall as a result. As we all know this can lead to serious damp problems, & if I dont get a response from them I am going to kick ass & get back onto my Mate in Ballymore, they may think they can afford to mess us around but they cant afford to piss BMH off, thats were they get all the new estates from!!
    Am going to call agin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

thats the sprirt wifey well done! Let us know how you get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Wifey was on to them, she ended up having to call them again herself!

To cut a long story short, the person in Wyse seemed unwilling to offer any assistance until Wifey threatened to involve Ballymore. She is now going to find out what can be done and will revert with an answer.

Watch this space! Good on ya Wifey!

Still Waiting for that call back it's now 17.57!!...... as they close early,(Nice for Some) It will have to be tomorrow. she mentioned things about not in our management contract etc, but I said That it should be and an oversight on their part, I'm not taking responsiblity to have it done, and I am not relying on my neighbours either I said as it is for the whole terrace. If she is not careful I will put her name up on the boards and everyone can call her!! to be honest folks I am in a fighting mood ....

• Advertisement

The LVM this morning at 10 on my mobile, because we own the free hold, they are not responisble & we have to have ot done ourselves, so ..... I reckon it could be cheap enough if we get someone & share the cost across the terrace. Would this be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Wifey wrote:
    The LVM this morning at 10 on my mobile, because we own the free hold, they are not responisble & we have to have ot done ourselves, so ..... I reckon it could be cheap enough if we get someone & share the cost across the terrace. Would this be fair?
    Thats unbelievable! I would accept that answer if there was a drain outlet off the gutter at each house, so each resident could take responsibility for their oen gutters, but from what I can see there is an outlet off each end of terrace, which gets rid of the water for the 5 or 6 houses between them. Its therefore a communal gutter, and the purpose of the management company is to upkeep the communal areas...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

daveco23 wrote:
    Thats unbelievable! I would accept that answer if there was a drain outlet off the gutter at each house, so each resident could take responsibility for their oen gutters, but from what I can see there is an outlet off each end of terrace, which gets rid of the water for the 5 or 6 houses between them. Its therefore a communal gutter, and the purpose of the management company is to upkeep the communal areas...

I totally agree with you on that one... But not only that... The builders actually never cleaned them in the first place as there's loads of stuff in the gutters from when the houses were being built... :mad: (I'm in the Wood btw)

I'd say that if they would have cleared them in the first place there shouldn't have been any issues really, at least not for a few years, as none of the houses have any big trees close enough and therefor no leaves that end up in them. The only rubbish that might end up there is from all the crows and other birds that fly around... :rolleyes:

okay, point taken, daveco you are so right! I wasn't in a fighting mood today & to be honest, I was too busy in Wk. Anyway, if it is a general consensus, how do we go about it? Am I right in thinking that we are not even allowed to paint the front of our house a different colour, for asthetic reasons, and we are not allowed do so many things surely the Gutters are the same so will we all email & call to get it sorted, how do we construct our argument? Anybody any suggestions?:confused:

JanneG wrote:
    I totally agree with you on that one... But not only that... The builders actually never cleaned them in the first place as there's loads of stuff in the gutters from when the houses were being built... :mad: (I'm in the Wood btw)

I'd say that if they would have cleared them in the first place there shouldn't have been any issues really, at least not for a few years, as none of the houses have any big trees close enough and therefor no leaves that end up in them. The only rubbish that might end up there is from all the crows and other birds that fly around... :rolleyes:

If there is building rubble in them then take photos and send a letter off to Ballymore (or whoever built the Wood) and tell them to get rid of it.

Okay this is what I have decided to do, Further to Davecos remarks I am going to draft up a letter to Wyse & Send a copy to Ballymore on the issue. What I was thinking is that anybody who wants a copy let me know & I will email it to you directly. Because I don’t know specifically where everyone lives if we get one house from each terrace to visit their neighbours, explain & see if they would like a copy of the letter & Send it into Wyse.

If every house in every terrace says they want the management company to take responsibility for it & make sure Ballymore know about it as well, they will have to do something. Apart from anything else it will ensure the aesthetics of the estate are maintained, and also if someone moves, or have renters, not everyone is going to pay. As we all have to pay management fees, this is the most logical step??? By the way, I dont see why we have to pay extra either, it should have been taken into consideration in the first place. ( my thinking anyway)

It may take a couple of weeks (And the gutters could at that stage fall down with the amount of rain lately), but what would the general consensus be on this? Suggestions on a postcard please....;)

Wifey wrote:
    Okay this is what I have decided to do, Further to Davecos remarks I am going to draft up a letter to Wyse & Send a copy to Ballymore on the issue. What I was thinking is that anybody who wants a copy let me know & I will email it to you directly. Because I don’t know specifically where everyone lives if we get one house from each terrace to visit their neighbours, explain & see if they would like a copy of the letter & Send it into Wyse.

If every house in every terrace says they want the management company to take responsibility for it & make sure Ballymore know about it as well, they will have to do something. Apart from anything else it will ensure the aesthetics of the estate are maintained, and also if someone moves, or have renters, not everyone is going to pay. As we all have to pay management fees, this is the most logical step??? By the way, I dont see why we have to pay extra either, it should have been taken into consideration in the first place. ( my thinking anyway)

It may take a couple of weeks (And the gutters could at that stage fall down with the amount of rain lately), but what would the general consensus be on this? Suggestions on a postcard please....;)

Sounds good wifey - go for it.
    Don`t box me for this, but I don`t live in the wood, am in the grove and we are under a diff management company, plus I am in a semi and don`t have the communal gutter problem :o
    Might be worth mentioning to people if you are around on sat night in script..

Hi All I have finally drawn up the letter, sorry for taking so long just been manic in Work. for those of you who want a copy please PM me, also if you can let me know what block you are in, as some of us may have to knock on doors to neighbours, and give them a copy of the letter.

I have not posted it as it may be against the rules,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Great Work Wifey, I will PM you now. Im in the court 1, different Mgmt Co but no doubt we would receive the same reply you got. I will have a word with my neighbours on my block

Advertisement