Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uk supplied gas cooker

• 08-05-2006 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

I just got a new baumatic gas cooker with electric oven , but my pumber said he cannot connect up the gas , as the oven does not have a fail safe ( required under some irish legslation ) - has anyone had this experience

he says we have to get the supplier ( in the uk ) to connect it , but surely this is ridiculous ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Hi,

It sounds like your plumber is fobbing you off, but I could be wrong.
    Find the number for Calor Ireland (I found it by Googling before) If you ring them I'm sure they can advise you, they can also give you contact numbers for approved calor installers near you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ok, I found out more :

EU PASSED A LAW - All gas cookers have to have built in failsafes on each burner - we are the only EU countryto implement this law so far ( of course cos we have such a dumb gov ) - this was passed in sept 2005 .

this means if anyone buys a non irish gas cooker or appliance ( from a web site like i did cos its way cheaper ) then you may end up with a cooker that cannot be legally connected in ireland , but can be in any other eu state.

registered plumbers WILL not connect them , as they would be struck off.

so be aware of this if you plan on buying from sites such as

http://www.tradingpost-appliances.com

I am now talking to these crowd , and they are trying to deny its their problem - fact is they have admitted selling 70% of their sales to ireland so they are well aware of this , and are in fact selling products of non merchantable quality to irish customers.

will update on progress , but they will be sued and I will set up a website
    hi lighting these facts if they do not sort out this problem.

id like to see there sales record when this gets out in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just a question, but just because Ireland is supposedly the only country to make this law, doesn't mean that it isn't already incorporated into the hob you have. In fact, any gas hob I've had in recent years has had this feature. I.e. there's a small bi-metallic strip or something that cuts of the supply of gas if the flame goes out. You also have to hold the gas knob on full for a few seconds after lighting it to give the little strip time to heat up. If you release the knob too quickly it goes out. In fact, I'd be very surprised if it didn't have this feature, but you could always give Baumatic a quick call to confirm. talking about suing and setting up a website seem a little extreme at this stage, I'd say.

In fact see this ... http://www.baumatic.co.uk/functions.php?qid=5#answer.

I'd say your plumber is telling you porkies.

Alun wrote:
    Just a question, but just because Ireland is supposedly the only country to make this law, doesn't mean that it isn't already incorporated into the hob you have. In fact, any gas hob I've had in recent years has had this feature. I.e. there's a small bi-metallic strip or something that cuts of the supply of gas if the flame goes out. You also have to hold the gas knob on full for a few seconds after lighting it to give the little strip time to heat up. If you release the knob too quickly it goes out. In fact, I'd be very surprised if it didn't have this feature, but you could always give Baumatic a quick call to confirm. talking about suing and setting up a website seem a little extreme at this stage, I'd say.

In fact see this ... http://www.baumatic.co.uk/functions.php?qid=5#answer.

thanks for the info ,

thats the problem , it doesnt have these fittings , as we got it from a uk web site uk doent need them as of yet ,

im only talking about legal action if they avoid the issue.

I bought a cooker in N. Ireland, It doesn't have a cut off valve for when the flame goes out. A calor approved installer connected it for me last November no probs.

• Advertisement

thanks adrian , are you on gas mains , or cylinder ?

We use a cylinder, the cooker came with an LPG conversion kit which the installer converted over to. I would imaging that the regulations are the same for LPG or Mains.

If you are using a cylinder it's worth getting set up for the large cylinder, it's the equivalent volume of 4 small ones but the equivalent cost of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

Sorry for your trouble, but glad this came up as I am/was thinking of buying a Cannon range cooker.

I tired locally and was told that it can't be got because of fail-safe cut off valve. Really wanted this one, as it has a good spec at a nice price.

Now I don't know what to do?
    Will I be able to get it connected?
    Will it be safe?
    If I do get it connected and something happens, will I be covered by my house insurance?

http://www.trade-appliances.co.uk/_1002627_Cannon_10456G.html

No doubt it would cost over €2K down here :mad: .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

We ran into the same difficulty when sourcing a cooker for our new kitchen. We wanted a 7 ring double oven with gas hobs and electric ovens. Irish prices were very expensive and range was limited. We found three that we liked in the UK but were advised by all UK suppliers that they would need to be converted for use in ROI which would add substantially to the cost (they knew all about it without needing to check).

In the end we found one in Power City that was already right for Ireland for a little more than €100 of the UK shipped price. The sticker price on the oven in Power City was €1600 but we got it in the end for €1450 after a bit of haggling. UK price was £900 delivered to our door.

• Advertisement

well, so far the makers of the cooker have advised this cooker should not be sold in ireland , and that fitting a kit would cost approx 500 euro .

no plumber whatsoever will touch it .

we are getting screwed to the wall price wise in ireland , and then we are getting scammed by online shops. never fecking ends in this country does it ?

I have contacted euro consumer center for advice , and the seller isnt responding but it looks like I can only chargeback , or sue .

If this is the case , I will make it my goal to destroy their online business in ireland - website, gerry ryan , newspapers the lot .

beginning here :

DO NOT BUY FROM http://www.tradingpost-appliances.com !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 9"solids

when inquiring about a gas cooker from a uk website I was told similar --ie no flame cut-off.

So am I right in saying the rest of Europe is in danger and we are safe with these fail-safe devices fitted for our cookers ??

I will still be ordering mine and connecting it myself.

I will do an gas certified plumbing course if needed.

Irish legislation -- is this the same leg that builders, shop keepers and politians use -- more rip-off Irish scare-mongering.

I know I will get the insurance angle on this but does a fail-safe device warrant a 600+ euro increase in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you look on the Baumatic website, you'll see that many of their cookers do indeed have this facility, mainly the higher end models. I wouldn't be at all surprised if other manufacturers had it too, and as I pointed out, every gas cooker I've used in recent times has had this feature ... EU regulations or not.

Concerning the price .. whilst it may cost €600 to retro-fit something like this onto an existing coker, that doesn't necessarily mean that the price differential if it was fitted in the factory would be the same. That isn't the way these things usually work.

On the face of it though, cries of "nanny state' notwithstanding, it actually *does* seem like a good idea, don't you think? Especially if the cooker is in a position where a draught could blow a flame out.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The failsafe device is a good idea IMHO. It's just a pity that the whole of Europe don't use it. Because of this, the range of gas appliances in ROI are smaller than UK, for example, and prices are supposedly higher because of the devices.

From what I have gathered, it seems that certified gas installers are instructed by law that they must not install gas appliances without the devices. If they did, it could possibly land them in trouble, should, God forbid, something should happen with the cooker/user
    Of course, if the extra cost could save somebody's life, it's probably worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

Any update?

Advertisement