Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frameless bathroom mirrors

• 08-05-2006 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at some nice frameless mirrors in homebase, atlantic homecare etc that would be lovely in my bathrooms. However I'm just wondering has anyone here used them? How do you attach them to the wall??:confused: I've seen the packets of screws etc that you have to buy with them, but I still don't see any way of attaching the mirror to the screws - maybe I'm missing something. I'm new to DIY, so don't fancy the idea of me having to drill a hole in my mirror :eek: 7 years of bad luck in my new house - I don't think so!!

If anyone has put them up, I would appreciate any advice you have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I assume they must have some kind of fixing attached to the back of the mirror, presumably glued on, which hooks over screws you fix to the wall?

Alternatively there are mirrors with pre-drilled holes, which you just screw to the wall using so-called mirror screws. These are like normal screws except they have a small threaded hole in the top into which you screw a small chromed dome shaped thingy to hide the screw. Is this what you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The ones I was looking at had nothing on the back and no pre-drilled holes which was what confused me. Maybe I was missing something, but looked at a few different types in case I was missing something - maybe I need to look again. Oh and the instructions were on the inside of the packet of things to fit them - so you would have to open it to read it, so no chance of reading it there in the shop.

I know there are the alternatives that have the screws going through them or the ones that have something on the back to hang them up with. But I was just wondering how these worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

Why not use something along the lines of no more nails
    chuckles30 wrote:
    I've been looking at some nice frameless mirrors in homebase, atlantic homecare etc that would be lovely in my bathrooms. However I'm just wondering has anyone here used them? How do you attach them to the wall??:confused: I've seen the packets of screws etc that you have to buy with them, but I still don't see any way of attaching the mirror to the screws - maybe I'm missing something. I'm new to DIY, so don't fancy the idea of me having to drill a hole in my mirror :eek: 7 years of bad luck in my new house - I don't think so!!

If anyone has put them up, I would appreciate any advice you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

Whatever you do, my advice is avoid double-sided stickies. I used them for a mirror in our en-suite. On the second night after I stuck it up, I was woke at 1am by a very loud crash. Alas, no more mirror. I replaced it with oue with the screws and dome thingies - looks really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I put one up recently. I got four brackets (available in hardware shops) for attaching to the wall. Each bracket had a small piece which comes a few millimetres over the top and bottom of the glass. The mirror slides in from the side. (Some have spring loaded fixings which you pull up, insert mirror and then pull into place).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

oulu wrote:
    Why not use something along the lines of no more nails

The disadvantages with using No More Nails are (a) it needs to be 'spot on' first time and (b) the mirror would have to be broken to remove it if required at a later date (an unpleasant task and not for the superstitious).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

atlantic home care had lovely frameless mirrors and then had little bracket things to use.

basically you put two brackets at the base and one on each side so that you could slide the mirror from the top into the brackets. There was a very small overlap from the brackets to the front of the mirror- just a couple of mm's.

Atlantic are devils for not having things in stock so have a good hunt for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Litcagral wrote:
    The disadvantages with using No More Nails are (a) it needs to be 'spot on' first time and (b) the mirror would have to be broken to remove it if required at a later date (an unpleasant task and not for the superstitious).
    you should use proper mirror glue. No More Nails or gunoprene etc will damage the mirror backing over time.

I have put up 2 bathroom mirrors using glue, and have had no problems. It is possible to nudge the mirror around on the wall before the glue sets to get the alignment right. The only thing you need is a straight edge at the bottom for it to rest on while the glue cures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I've used soudal fix-all 300

says its good for mirrors, but yeah, taking the mirror back down is definitely a messy job involving a hammer, and probably a chisel too. (but these are fun toys that you shouldn't be scared of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The bracket things sound like what I'm looking for - either that or I'll go for the ones that have the pre-drilled holes for screws. At least with either of those options the mirror can be taken down at a later date without the hassle involved with the glue option. I think I'll just have to hunt around a bit more for the right fittings next time.

Thanks for the help all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got some really nice frameless mirrirs with lights in DPL (Kilmainham) a year ago...a bit pricey but well worth it..

Advertisement