Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will i get my deposit back?

Options
  • 08-05-2006 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi folks, I'm hoping to live in Dublin city for June, July and August. Originally I was looking for flats/apartments with a 3 month lease but unfortunately I was having no success. I was told I could sign a 6 month/1 year lease than just tell the landlord I want to leave at the end of August and give him one months notice- this is within my rights supposedly. But can anyone tell me if I'd get my deposit back or not???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

You might find it difficult, depending on the landlord. If you are only around for a couple of months, your best bet is to find a short-term sublet, or to find a place that doesn't have a lease (you are not likely to find that if you are looking at renting an apartment - a room in a house is probably a better bet).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭peteym

cool thanks for that, i dont know whether to chance it or not. Has anybody got any experience of this???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

TBH most leases I have ever signed state that if you leave before the end of the lease the landlord is entitled to full recompense for the months you were supposed to be there. I'm not sure how legal that is if it went to court, but I doubt you would get your deposit back.

If I was you I'd look to rent a room in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are not entitled to do this. You would be in breach of the lease. If you don't intend to adhere to the lease, don't sign it.

There is some room for discussion over the amount of damages that would be due to the landlord from you. It just depends. If he can't get it let, then he is certainly entitled to the lost rent and the agents' fees. If he has to rent it cheaper, you'd have to make up the difference for the year.

The landlord could get damages awarded against you by the Tribunal of the PRTB without much expense. You would then have to pay up or face action in the Circuit Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭peteym

right well, der goes that idea then. Anybody any help regarding getting a 1 bed apartment for 3 months??? anyhting i've found so far are just offering the 6 or 12 month lease. Surely there has to be students vacating places for the summer???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You're looking at the wrong market - no wonder you cant find anything. A 1 bed apt is the least likely thing to appear on a short term lease.

You are going to have to bite the bullet and find a house or flat share. Thats your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Due to the months that you're looking for... I'd say that you should look for student accomodation, as they wouldn't be around for those months, and the landlords would be losing money whilst the places stay empty over the summer.

Advertisement