Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most Pointless cars on sale

Options
  • 08-05-2006 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Some cars you just have to say, what is the point of this car, when you could have xy instead!

I reckon the following are such cars! (I stand corrected though!);

-Ford Fusion- an ugly, taller Fiesta for more money
    -VW Golf Plus- same as above re standard Golf
    -Hyundai Sonata-I know theyre relaible, but matches, petrol and money spring to mind!
    -Fiat Croma- who is going to pay 30grand for this lump when you can have a nice new Passat/Avensis for the same dosh?
    -Opel Signum- the above also applies!

Anybody else got other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

mfitzy wrote:
    Ford Fusion- an ugly, taller Fiesta for more money

I have to agree, Im driving one temperarly right now and I hate it, no power, sounds awful although the new model has tinted windows and alloys :D woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

mfitzy wrote:

I have to disagree with this one.

I like this car, and i dont like big boots on cars like the one on the Vectra so I would have this car over the Vectra and thats why I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have to disagree about the hyundai Sonata too -- the new model anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rodius :eek:

Pointlessly ugly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Not really on sale at the moment but the Rover Streetwise. A Rover 25, on stilts, with plastic bumpers to look a bit like an off roader. It makes you wonder were they deliberately trying to ruin the company in the end.

And the BMW 1-Series, in general but in particular in 116i poverty spec. It's not even vulgar enough to be considered arriviste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Robbo wrote:
    Not really on sale at the moment but the Rover Streetwise. A Rover 25, on stilts, with plastic bumpers to look a bit like an off roader. It makes you wonder were they deliberately trying to ruin the company in the end.

And the BMW 1-Series, in general but in particular in 116i poverty spec. It's not even vulgar enough to be considered arriviste.

The Streetwise, I secretly liked the look of but for 17,500 grand just who in their right mind was going to buy it!!The 15 year old Honda underpinnings were also less than appealing.

Ah the 1 Series; for those who can't actually afford a BMW yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kluivert wrote:
    mfitzy wrote:

I have to disagree with this one.

I like this car, and i dont like big boots on cars like the one on the Vectra so I would have this car over the Vectra and thats why I like it.

The Signum and Vectra are the same car. The Signum was designed as an different alternative to the now dead Omega. The thing is though GM never considered how many people would actually pay big money for the Signum that looks too similar to it's medium rep mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bazz26 wrote:
    kluivert wrote:
    mfitzy wrote:

The Signum and Vectra are the same car. The Signum was designed as an different alternative to the now dead Omega. The thing is though GM never considered how many people would actually pay big money for the Signum that looks too similar to it's medium rep mobile.

I don't disagree that its a nice car but for the kinda money you have so much more.The Omega was a great old car in it's day, it was genuinely slogging it out with the 5 Series.
    Its not even a proper 5 seater, you'd be much better off with the Vectra.Buyers obviously agree, I can count on one hand the number of Signums i've seen, whereas the Omega was quite popular in its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Other cars that I see as pointless:

Porsche Cayenne: Totally pointless imo. Built and designed as a pointless marketing venture.

Porsche Boxter: Nice car but it tells people that the owner cannot quite afford a 911. :D

Luxury executive hybrid cars like the Lexus H450 GS (mentioned in another thread) with large powerful thirsty petrol engines in conjuction with an electric motor. Why?

BMW X3: Not much cheaper than the X5, no good off road and cheap interior.

Merc B Class: How many small MPV like cars do the guys at Daimler Chrysler need?

VW Phaeton: Why bother when they already had the Audi A8?

Toyota Yaris Verso: Pretty self explanatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:
    Other cars that I see as pointless:

Porsche Cayenne: Totally pointless imo. Built and designed as a pointless marketing venture.

Porsche Boxter: Nice car but it tells people that the owner cannot quite afford a 911. :D

Luxury executive hybrid cars like the Lexus H450 GS (mentioned in another thread) with large powerful thirsty petrol engines in conjuction with an electric motor. Why?

BMW X3: Not much cheaper than the X5, no good off road and cheap interior.

Merc B Class: How many small MPV like cars do the guys at Daimler Chrysler need?

VW Phaeton: Why bother when they already had the Audi A8?

Toyota Yaris Verso: Pretty self explanatory.

I'll be contraversial and totally disagree with the above!

Porsche Cayenne: The fact that they sell huge numbers of these in the US means it isn't exactly pointless!

Porsche Boxter: As small-ish sports cars go, the Boxter has to be worth a look. Just because someone drives a 3 series, doesn't mean they can't afford a 5 series. the Boxter is a good car in its own right.

Luxury executive hybrid cars like the Lexus H450 GS. there's nothing as uncool as an executive barge with a diesel engine.

BMW X3: you might have a point on this one! although it isn't that much more expensive than a Santa Fe 4WD.

Merc B Class: To use the argument "How many small MPV like cars do the guys at Daimler Chrysler need?" is a bit like saying "VW should ditch the Octavia, Leon, and A3, it already has the Jetta."

VW Phaeton: The Phaeton served one purpose, that was to catch peoples attention, and get them to buy the Passat.

Toyota Yaris Verso: This (out of production for 9 months) car is about as useless as a Berlingo Multispace or any other van derived cars. The Verso is sold as a van in other countruies. so that might explain its odball looks.

yarisversovan_02.jpg
    see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

actually, the Yaris Verso ...once someone helped you inside and you have taken the blindfold off ...isn't bad at all.

My parents have one and I have sat in it in all seats and driven it over longer distances as well ...extremly roomy and quite comfortable ...maximum use of a small footprint.

If it just wasn't so buck-ugly ...

on pointless cars

ALL and sundry pretend 4x4s (HRV, Tucson, Santa-Fe, et al) with 2WD only ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i really hate the vw golf plus.it looks disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

peasant wrote:
    ALL and sundry pretend 4x4s (HRV, Tucson, Santa-Fe, et al) with 2WD only ...

Actually the HR-V (model 03-) all are 4WD. But not a cross country vehicle either... :o

I suppose if they had 4 wheel drive and the owners never used, THAT would be pointless......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Hybrids in general, why bother paying alot of money for something more complicated when a diesel is just as good, if not better in many ways.

Diesel's carsanogenic, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Every car is pointless in its own way really. They're either not big/quick/economical enough etc. There'll always be someone to buy them and make the company money. In that sense the Veyron, VW lose money on every one, a car is made to make the company money, in all cases bar a select few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

colm_mcm wrote:

So is petrol, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Fiat multipla!!

what the hell is the point in making a car look like this!

Any one who says a Boxter is for someone who cant afford a 911 is just a jealous begrudger! maybe they cant afford a 911, so what, but they do have a Boxter!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:

And cars are perfectly safe apart from that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

The Renault Vel Satis. Looks like an overpriced radiator with an attitude problem. I also remember pointing and laughing at the odd person here and there who actually bought a Safrane, IMO the ugliest cars ever built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

mfitzy wrote:
    -VW Golf Plus- same as above re standard Golf
    I feel compelled to reply seeing as I own one! - But I almost agree with you, the Golf Plus has a very focused market - I must be one of the few people who having done a Goldie Locks rountine around a pile of dealers looks at the Golf Plus and says "Just Right". For me it had all the things I wanted in package that wasn't too big (I just couldn't face the Touran etc, they just seemed too big).

As for looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that - I like the look of it!

Paddy

PS Whatever about the Boxster having a point, why, oh, why build the Caymen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

Fiat multipla!!
    QUOTE]

6 seats that's why... i think....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

actually the more I drive the Fusion the more I hate it. Its turning me into some old slow sunday driver. The car seems to hypnotise me everytime I get into it, before I know it I have 3 or 4 cars wanting to pass me because Im so slow :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

When I saw the name of this thread I thought - Fiat Chroma! Followed by the Mercedes B-class. Have seen a few and they are FUGLY. A real "Whoops" moment for Merc. What have they done with the A-class, wasn't that enough to keep people happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Fiat multipla!!

what the hell is the point in making a car look like this!
    ^^^^^^^
    Fully Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its got to be the Rover street wise , and the Renault Scenic done the same way (plastic bumpers etc called the Rcx, is it??) - any moron who walked into a showroom and walked out with the keys to a Streetwise should be shot...or handed a cane and a guide dog.

Max_Damage wrote:
    So is petrol, apparently.(carcinogenic)

Diesel exhaust fumes contain carcinogenic particulates which in turn contain around 40 known carcinogenic substances

When particulate emissions are considered, the carcinogenic effect of one new diesel car is equivalent to 24 new petrol cars

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    When particulate emissions are considered, the carcinogenic effect of one new diesel car is equivalent to 24 new petrol cars

Perhaps true in the past, but that statement is now completely outdated. Latest generation particulate filters (as standard in e.g. most BMW diesel cars) capture up to 100% of all particulates. A diesel car with a particulate filter like that is much more eco-friendly than any equivalent size petrol or indeed hybrid

sorry for O/T

• Advertisement

I think you're not giving hybrids a fair go, the next generation Prius will use Lithium Ion batteries in place of the existing metal hydride batteries, meaning that it will be more powerful, more efficent, and lighter. GM and Ford both have their own hybrid programmes, and as the technology becomes more commonplace, prices will fall.

BTW a prius emits about 30% less CO2 than a BMW 320D

Advertisement