Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year politics exams

Options
  • 08-05-2006 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

OK the 2nd year politics exam is tomorrow and there's one again on Thurday. Anyone have any tips on what to go over? Anything that's worth looking over for those who have left things to the last minute? (ahem)

The similar thread on history really helped me out so hopefully someone out there has some nuggets of wisdom to impart!

I'm looking at you beanyb cos I know you do politics. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Ok, I hope I can help! So much pressure! :)

For tomorrow I've covered Machiavelli and Locke. If you're doing Machiavelli know the corruption stuff pretty well, because every year there seems to be a question that can be twisted to corruption if it's not on corruption specifically.

With Locke I just read through loads of it and it's pretty easy really. If you're really screwed read his section of the power of the legislative and it should get you through, hopefully!!

For IR, I've covered neo-realism, dem peace theory and interdependence. DPT and interdependence are really easy. Dont just learn neo-realism because he kind of told us that it wasnt going to be on it. I just learnt it because I'd done my essay on it and it's good for criticisms of the other theories.

Thursday, though it's a horrible subject the exam should be fairly ok because he told us what was coming up. Ontology, epistemology and methodology for the 3 main schools, though personally I'm staying away from that one! I did an essay on anti-naturalism vs naturalism and he said that'd be there too. Other things were structure vs agency and institutions vs ideas. I think that was all anyway.

For the second section he pretty much told us the question. Is the distinction between qualitative and quantitative a false dichotomy? There's a section in the book on it and it's fairly easy. If it doesnt come up I'm screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Zephead

Theory
    Freedom or corruption for Macheavelli

Hobbes- State of Nature or the social contract

IR
    Democratic Peace Theory
    Theories of Aggression
    Integration Theories

Research
    Naturalism vs Anti Naturalism
    Structure vs. Agency
    Qual vs. Quant
    Research Design

Comparative
    Cleavages
    Families of Parties
    Parliament

Best of luck with the exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thanks beanyb but just one question - I'm pretty good when it comes to Hobbes so I'd prefer to focus on him. Is he going to be on the exam for definite?

Oh yeah, there's 2 questions on every theorist.

Thanks again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

Does anyone have any ideas on what would be good to study for the Post communist Russia and the non democratic regimes papers?? I keep telling myself i work better under pressure...

Yeah those courses are really annoying alright, not to mention power, discourse and political action! Really wish I hadnt picked that one...

For non-dem regimes I've so far done totalitarianism and authoritarianism. I might do the future of non-dem regimes too but I'm not sure yet.

For Russia I really dont know, I might email him and ask because I'm totally confused about it, even though it's such an easy course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Really off-topic, but here's my courses/results from 2nd Politics, Autumn 2005:
    Political Theory and International Relations = 59%
    Political Research = 48%
    Comparative Politics = 53%
    Democratic Theory = 5%
    Power, Discourse, Political Action = 45%
    British Politics = 56%
    Tutorials = 27%

Overall Grade = 44% PASS

Anyway, without basking to much in the glow of gettin just 5% in an exam and somehow passing the year, this is what I crammed - I mean, studied.

Political Theory:
    Locke, Hobbes, Rousseau

IR:
    Neorealism

Political Research:
    Naturalism vs Anti-Naturalism
    Structure vs Agency
    Qualitative vs Quantitative

Comparative:
    Lipset&Rokkan
    Electoral Systems
    Party Systems

Democratic Theory:
    You wouldn't take the advice of someone who got 5% in this, would you?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

seem to have covered the same stuff as u Beanyb....ugggghhhhh im still kinda ****ed tho..its goin to be a long night ill tell ya that!! if i dont see u tomorrow best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

I was under the impression that Tobias would have a question comparing/contrasting DPT and Neo-Realism. Neo-Realism definitely won't be on its own though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said it'd be useful for criticisms. Hopefully he does because that would be the world's sweetest question!

ya he mentioned it about 4 times in the last lecture alright, if it doesnt come up im screwed cause its all im doin!!

I thought today's exam was grand. I was delighted with how I did. Beforehand I was worried about not coming up with anything to write but then I saw me oul' mate Tommy Hobbes on the paper and I was away. I was surprised at the range of choice offered this year too.

That neorealism question was handy eh?

I'm dreading Thursday though. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

^ eh that's two exams in a row you've done well in Mr. ''I'm going to fail all of my exams'' Guy.... you're not living up to your reputation! ;)

^ eh that's two exams in a row you've done well in Mr. ''I'm going to fail all of my exams'' Guy.... you're not living up to your reputation! ;)

I'm trying to not get too excited about things because I'm sure I'm going to be marked badly for attendance, essays etc. but I must say I'm surprised at how I've done in the actual exams. The advice given on here has been most helpful. If I am to fail at least I will have went down fighting. ;)

ya that was a really fair exam everything i had preped came up....could have done really wellhad i studied more.....story of my life!!!

Does anybody know what layout the research paper on thursday will be? is it going to be like last year with 1 long question from section A and 3 short from section B? Or like previous years with one long question on each section?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Two sections. Answer 1 from each. Section A is on the theory, eg. ontology, epistemeology, methodology, the different paradigms (eg. Rational Choice, Structuralism etc.), Strcucture-Agency etc.

Section B is on methods: quantitative and qualitiative, triangulation, false dichotomy etc.

Todays exam was grand. I had Neo-Realism well prepared but I thought the Political Economy Essay was just too easy and tempting so I aced it!! So glad I covered it.

It's 2 essays, one from each section. There are sample questions on blackboard.

Today's exam was pretty good alright! I did the neo-realism one, was pretty good!

What can I say? I'm delighted with how today went. Chuffed to bits. I studied Structure vs Agency and quantitative versus qualitative and both were there. I just kept writing and writing.

I'm trying not to get too carried away with things as I know I left myself with an uphill batle through my lack of essays and tutorial attendance but I feel like I'm still in with a chance of avoiding failure with these exams.

Thanks again to the people on this thread for their tips, particularly beanyb.

Keep hope alive! :)

• Advertisement

Wasnt it a great paper? I was so afraid before we got it because it could have gone so badly wrong, but it went brilliantly!!

ya i mean i had two things studied the naturalism/anti naturalism debate and the quants and qual thing!!

they have been really fair so far no complaints anyway!!

So... any hints for paper 3 anyone?

Electoral System
    Votor Volatility and Voter Alignment
    Clevage structures and electoral change (lipset and rokkan etc)

How hard was that exam today? Janey Mac. :eek:

really, everything i said in my previous post came up!!! i heard a load of people say it was really hard but i didnt think it was that bad!!

what u all doin for P4??

Yeah I didnt think it was that bad either. It's pretty much the same paper every year. My answers were pretty waffly at times though.

I'm absolutely dreading paper 4. Have no idea what to study for Post-Communist Russia even though the course was so easy. He gave no real info on what the hell kind of things he'd be asking. I even emailed him looking for a bit of help, but he was just as unhelpful! Most of Power, Discourse and Political Action went totally over my head too, so I'm kinda lost on that front too. ARGH!!

Can you get notes for P4 in the Student Union? I'm thinking of going in to UCD tomorrow so I might see what I can get. I too am dreading P4.

in the Post communists Russia one im going to do somthing about presidential power and the constitution cause he spent ages on that one!!

Democratic theory haven a clue

Non democratic Regimes: Military dictatorships, authoritarinism vs totalinarism

im kinda ****ed too tho as ive an exam today and saturday so dnt really have time to study for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Sorry to drop in in the middle of this, but it is true that there's a 75% failure rate for 2nd year politics? My boyfriend's little brother is doing it, and he's been studying his ass off cos he's so worried about not passing it.

Advertisement