Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd year politics exams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

stargal wrote:
    Sorry to drop in in the middle of this, but it is true that there's a 75% failure rate for 2nd year politics? My boyfriend's little brother is doing it, and he's been studying his ass off cos he's so worried about not passing it.

No there isn't. Thats just stupid. That figure came from last years repeat exams, in a particular course. Of the 70 odd people who did last years Human Rights Course (or maybe it was Democratic Theory, can't really remember), about half the class failed and had to repeat in August. So we are down to 35 odd people. Of this 35 people, something like 75% failed, which amounts to 27 people alltogether. 2nd Politics has over 200 people in it. A 10% failure rate isn't especially high in my opinion. If you actually attend lectures on a regular basis and do some work, you can pass easily. But isn't that the same with any course you do in life??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

GusherING wrote:
    No there isn't. Thats just stupid. That figure came from last years repeat exams, in a particular course. Of the 70 odd people who did last years Human Rights Course (or maybe it was Democratic Theory, can't really remember), about half the class failed and had to repeat in August. So we are down to 35 odd people. Of this 35 people, something like 75% failed, which amounts to 27 people alltogether. 2nd Politics has over 200 people in it. A 10% failure rate isn't especially high in my opinion. If you actually attend lectures on a regular basis and do some work, you can pass easily. But isn't that the same with any course you do in life??
    ya i agree with there, but i have been to 95% of my lectures this year and ive gotten a 2.2 in all my essays but i think that there is too much emphasis on the final exam, i really think im going to end up having to repeat in august but its not like ive been sitting on my hole doing nothing all year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Horizons pretty much solves the "emphasis" on the final exam what with modularisation and semesterisation as I'm sure you're aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'm dreading tomorrow. Help.

well i went over to the library to get the books yesterday and guess what......none there....so im ****ed!!! im pretty much goin to have to rely on internet stuff!!

• Advertisement

Yeah I cant get the non democratic regimes book. I was so desperate on friday that I bought the russia one... there's €19 I'll never see again...

At least you won't have to repeat!!

id say it will be grand tho, im just goin to go wikipedia stuff and google etc cause there should be a substantial amount on the net about non dem regimes and the russia one, did u do democratic theory??

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

Democratic Theory is horrible, im looking over the criticisms but cant make head nor tale of it. is there anything else I should try to cover here?

What you guys thinkin bout for Russia? and What kinda stuff can we ecpect on non democratic regimes?

Looks like I'm gonna have to put a lot of work into Democratic Theory in 2nd year.Gonna have to concentrate on that one because a lot of people have complained about that specific course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Those who are worried should use Blackboard.

Those who are worried should use Blackboard.
    `there is **** all on blackboard tho

tintinr35 wrote:
    `there is **** all on blackboard tho

There's useful stuff under Course Documents for Dem. theory.

I'm getting very pissed off studying for these. Power, Discourse and Political Action is ridiculously complicated, it's making my brain hurt. But what's annoying me most is that I just dont know what to do for Russia because he didnt tell us what sort of questions he'd ask. It's an easy course which is making this even more annoying!

do somthing on the constitution and ul be fine id say cause he spent F*UCKING ages on that,
    this democratic theory is a lotta cock

There's useful stuff under Course Documents for Dem. theory.
    they are only the lecture notes???

tintinr35 wrote:
    they are only the lecture notes???

So? If you haven't been to a lecture like myself then they're very handy. ;)

So? If you haven't been to a lecture like myself then they're very handy. ;)
    MNG, i know who u are by the way and, dont be talking scrap, uve been to the lectures!!!

You know who MNG is???? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jazzy_jeff

Beanyb have a look over perestroika too... it seems easy enough, thats what ive decided to do... look it up on wikipedia coz theres very little in the lecture presentations

• Advertisement

I've done economic reform. I reckon he cant not ask about the economy in some way shape or form really. Gonna have a quick look over the constitution. Ok, really need to get off boards and actually go do this!!

tintinr35 wrote:
    MNG, i know who u are by the way and, dont be talking scrap, uve been to the lectures!!!

I've never been to any of the Democratic Theory lectures.

I've never been to any of the Democratic Theory lectures.
    sure ;)

What a horrible paper. I think I managed to get through it ok, but I spent the first ten minutes freaking out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

It wasn't too bad in the end. Non-democratic reigemes was alright and Russia wasn't too bad. Power, Discourse and Political Action was a bit waffly though!

Bastard of a paper. I too freaked out at the start. I think I did alright after that but it was my worst paper so far.

Also, having to sit in that packed room before the exam didn't help matters. Why did they change things around? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Also, having to sit in that packed room before the exam didn't help matters. Why did they change things around? Ridiculous.

Whatsa goin' on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I think it's something to do with Trinity also starting there exams down there now aswell - bloody ridiculous - especially considering how many people were in for exams today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

I think it's something to do with Trinity also starting there exams down there now aswell - bloody ridiculous - especially considering how many people were in for exams today.

Ugh sounds like crap. Yep, my friend said he had an exam there wednesday (him being a trinner) and I was like :confused: but it must be true then. Don't think I'm gonna like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There was some guy there today who was from trinity looking for his exam on the list - he ended up asking the doorman. It was so frustrating down there today - so much noise and you just couldn't concentrate for love nor money.

Advertisement