Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Pub

Options
  • 08-05-2006 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Which pub in Galway do ye not like (even hate) going into?

For me, i would have to be Hole in the Wall

Comments

ah i love the hole in the wall!Its a kip but good craic.The pub that i hate is the western bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i hate sayin this but i detest Monroes so much right now, went in there last week with my housemate for a sunday morning fry, it took 10 mins to order the f'ing thing while the barwoman chatted to one of the off duty workers and then 2 or 3 nights ago was in there again for a quiet pint and a pizza, all was grand untill they started blaring really ****ty pop songs throughout the pub makin conversation damned near impossible (esp when one of the lads you're chattin to only has one workin ear).
    other than that i stay clear of all the shirts and skirt pubs and sallys, shame sallys has gone downhill so bad and so quick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I agree Monroes has really let itself go...
    Poor service...terrible pints and that ancient TV sitting on two seats is pathetic...

The other Pub I hate is The Front Door..I mean whats the point of having a Pub so jam packed that you can't move or get served. not to mention the fact that the iterior is very boring and cramped anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The other Pub I hate is The Front Door..I mean whats the point of having a Pub so jam packed that you can't move or get served. not to mention the fact that the iterior is very boring and cramped anyway.

best pints in Galway though tbh

danniemcq wrote:
    best pints in Galway though tbh

And it actually isn't all that bad.

Hrm, worst pub in Galway would have to be .. uhm.. hole in the wall, but only when it's overly busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pft, posh gits with yer pubs. Buckfast and a disposable BBQ up the river any day tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

ya monroes is atmosphere-less. dull and dark and generally a miserable place imo
    bar 903 is also pretty crap with no character of it own
    JohnCleary wrote:
    Pft, posh gits with yer pubs. Buckfast and a disposable BBQ up the river any day tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I think it would be Mixers ..... no actually that one blu!
    well maybe ..... Ah fcuk I'm trying to think of all the pubs and its hurting my head.

Perhaps a poll would add to this topic a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Mixers without a doubt. My local would be The Blue Note.

have to say i dislike the pretentiousness of the blue note...

Mixers without a doubt. My local would be The Blue Note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Should I mention your complaints to Mr. Gary Monroe? I should be seeing him on the weekend. I'm sure he'd appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

The other Pub I hate is The Front Door..I mean whats the point of having a Pub so jam packed that you can't move or get served.
    This is so true. I effing hate that one, and Living Room (same reason). They're ok in the evening before the "skirts and shirts" hordes get there.
    Why do all guys (except me) wear shirts that has the same pattern as my kitchen towels?

Monroes is ok, albeit it has a very american feel to it, think it's the open planning.

biko wrote:
    Why do all guys (except me) wear shirts that has the same pattern as my kitchen towels?

that is so true! I hate wearing shirts with a passion. Give me an awesome tshirt anyday!

I hate the Living Room when it gets overly busy, and you get all the poncy people in there.

The only real pub in Galway I like is the Kings head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The only real pub in Galway I like is the Kings head.

Yikes. King's Head. I'd hardly class that as a real pub.

Worst pub is Hole in the Wall.

Best pub - The Roisin Dubh

Neachtains is decent enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

PJ's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Worst Pub - Fibbers(worst pints ever!)
    Best Pub - Bier Haus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

Worst Pub - Any of the ones listed above .

Best Pub - Tough call . Maybe Taaffes or Bier Haus . Roisins is full of wannabe cool types and the "super" pubs are just crap .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Best for me used to be ...

Sallys ... Roisins ... Blue Note ... Stage Door ... McSwiggans ...

This of course was back when they had atmosphere ... (or was that smoke) hmm.. :)

worst now .. would have to be fibbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

PJ's, Roisins, Blue Note, Bierhaus, Massimo's. All great Pubs.

The worst ones - The Crane (the smell...), Neactains (full of weirdos, all the time), and all those noisy annoying "superpubs" (Living Room, Red Square et al)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

dont know if it'll come under "pubs" but i dislike the Skeff for some reason - not that i really hate it.

Best pub - Sallys.

• Advertisement

what? the crane bar. its nice pub. can't say i ever got a smell in it.
    also neachtains is not full of weirdos..you calling me a weirdo!
    neachtains has a mixture of regulars and tourists. can't say i ever seen any strange people there.
    massimoos and roisin are nice places as well though,agreed
    galah wrote:
    PJ's, Roisins, Blue Note, Bierhaus, Massimo's. All great Pubs.

The worst ones - The Crane (the smell...), Neactains (full of weirdos, all the time), and all those noisy annoying "superpubs" (Living Room, Red Square et al)

not going to argue, it's all about preference I suppose...;-)

I only ever met complete lunatics/psychos/weirdos in Neactains (somehow, they find me...) although it's nice in summer when (if) you can sit outside...

I also like BK's for a quiet glass of wine, or two...

Yikes. King's Head. I'd hardly class that as a real pub.

I know, but for a guy who doesnt go out drinking much anymore,its grand for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I drink in Blu nice barmaids!Not my Fav tho I like the front door from time to time and clearly hole in the Wall and Fibbers are the worst , Hole just bearable on rag week , Rabiits is nice on a sunny day I think the beer garden is nice and quiet not full and can talk easy nice Pints aswell!!Generally the pubs are grand, skeff is pretty crap all there seems to be is office parties hen parties birthyday parties etc I never went in here only for that reason.

I think Cellar Bar is pretty good at night! never get any hassle there some nice birds and the downstairs is pretty deadly all for free and if you get sick of downstairs head up and can listen to the tunes or talk up there.

Quays can be ok like drinking outside and see every one come down shop street and alwas full of americans so nearly alwas a bit of craic.

I stay clear of mixers all together dont like the crowd and I hate being called Mong etc

Sallys is good craic allright good music and pool table but its not for every one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Where is bier haus? Is this a new place? Or is it a new name?

The Bierhaus is on Dominick Street, opposite Stranos (down the road from Roisins). Nice selection of international beers, and usually a nice crowd. Can get pretty packed in there though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Worst Pub . The Lantern

Full Ack.

Does that horrible pub next to Supermacs in Lurgan Park still exist? That would be on my list also...

apologies, i meant to say all of that about mcswiggans not monroes. for some reason i always miss up the names of the 2 places.
    anyways i was only in monroes once but it seemed ok but as for mcswiggans ..why you little..
    MrJones wrote:
    ya monroes is atmosphere-less. dull and dark and generally a miserable place imo
    bar 903 is also pretty crap with no character of it own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

McSwiggans serves nice food though :):D

Advertisement