Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Pub

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭eyedrenalin

galah wrote:
    Full Ack.

Does that horrible pub next to Supermacs in Lurgan Park still exist? That would be on my list also...

The Merlin is still there!

They did up the offie but the bar is still a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rabiits is nice on a sunny day I think the beer garden is nice and quiet not full and can talk easy nice Pints aswell!!
    I used to drink in Rabbitt's all the time before the refurbishment. It was a kip but had great atmosphere. These days it's a bit too quiet for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

After Chritmas Eve i would have to say The Crane.I thought all the crustys had left Galway years ago,obviously not.Upstairs was absolutley discusting,there was a serious smell and the condensation on the walls and windows was pissing down.Moved downstairs later and it wasnt as bad,but still loads of wasters.
    Although its a completly different crowd id still put it along the lines of Fibbers ,Foxes ,Mixers as a no go.Dont like Sallys either full of grumpy moshers that dont like the look of anyone.Personally i always like a few in An Tobar.
    Neachtains definitley doesnt have as many weirdos as it used to have its gotten alot better.Its pretty nice there on a sunny day sitting outside but next thing ya know its closing time and your wallets empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

galah wrote:
    The Bierhaus is on Dominick Street, opposite Stranos (down the road from Roisins). Nice selection of international beers, and usually a nice crowd. Can get pretty packed in there though...
    its actually henry street;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

since i live directly across from the hole in the wall i'd have to say that it has to be the worst. I have awoke on many the occasion to have people race kegs down eyre street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

The Merlin is still there!

They did up the offie but the bar is still a kip.
    and they get the ice from supermacs also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Worst pub is the Goalposts I do believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't have standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TabulaRasa22

Senritsu wrote:
    McSwiggans serves nice food though :):D

And they have recently got in free wi-fi. That makes it the best pub in Galway, by my reckoning! Ah the joys of a cool guinness and international performance art. And yes, thats what I'm calling it these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

do ye remember the place on prospect hill now called M T Pockets.
    That was some kip! it was only for crusties though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

MrJones wrote:

Was that O'Malleys ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

MrJones wrote:

It was called O'Malleys, and it was a great spot. The owner was possibly the rudest man I have ever met, his son was the second rudest, the place had no visible air conditioning, and yet I still loved the place. Never afraid to put on a metal gig, was O'Malleys.
    Sorely missed.

Rather be a so-called crustie, than a pink polo shirt wearing, CP's attending, Stereophonics listening, business studies student, slab of blandness and uniformity.

omalleys that's right. was in there myself a few nights.
    drum n bass nights.
    it was dirty though, filthy place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

The place beside the the goalpost... Central bar ? the hole in the wall is a kip, the walls seat and the music is too loud BUT it has a certain something, call it atmosphere for lack of a better word.
    Personal favourite is Taffees nice mix of tourists, auld guys and students and possibly other people as well. Lovely Guinness and can get a good trad session going.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

I really hate the skeff its massive and scary and has weird pictures on the wall and they give you cocktails that smell funny and are gone off. I agree about the hole in the wall and the kings head i think they're awful, cullinanes on eglington street is pretty grim too. my new favourite pub is rabbittes because they have thrones you can sit on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jezebel

I would definitely have to agree with Kevmy…the Central Bar worst bar none. Unless you like to be deafened by someone singing karaoke or to be chatted up by some 60 year old perv asking ya “have ya any knicker on”….that was my one and only experience in that bar…never again!!!

Loads of great pubs in Galway though, couldnt pick one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

The other Pub I hate is The Front Door..I mean whats the point of having a Pub so jam packed that you can't move or get served. not to mention the fact that the iterior is very boring and cramped anyway.

Bleh try working there! Lugging a bucket of ice up and down three flights of stairs and everyone dipping their manky hands in for some free ice cubes as if it was World War fscking 2 and there was a national Ice Cube shortage! Ah well, twas an experience.

But it's not a bad pub at all, well run.

If we're aiming for shíte pubs, has anyone ever been in that little green place beside Maguires pub on Dominick street. Their only redeeming quality is that the Ladies and Gents says "Mary" and "John"...... Just don't open the door

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jezebel wrote:
    …the Central Bar ... karaoke
    Mental note to visit CB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Obviously none of ye guys have ever been to "Branskys" or as its called now "Doc Watsons" in Westside, It makes The Merlin Bar look like the Ritz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Obviously none of ye guys have ever been to "Branskys" or as its called now "Doc Watsons" in Westside, It makes The Merlin Bar look like the Ritz
    Most wouldn't. A local bar for local people...

• Advertisement

have been, didnt stay long though for obvious reasons,its a kip.

Been in there a few times Branskys,pretty scary place.I wouldnt really call it a pub more a
    dodgy alleyway,like the lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Taaffes in my opinion is the best pub probably cause I like the mix of Trad, Folk and Rebel music especially on a Friday night. It's also got a graet pint of Guinness. It is sometimes a little too packed though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Jezebel wrote:
    I would definitely have to agree with Kevmy…the Central Bar worst bar none. Unless you like to be deafened by someone singing karaoke or to be chatted up by some 60 year old perv asking ya “have ya any knicker on”….that was my one and only experience in that bar…never again!!!

Loads of great pubs in Galway though, couldnt pick one

I remember wandering into the Central Bar on a Thursday night when I was in college. It was totally surreal. The rest of the town was heaving with people having a laugh and here was this place with a couple of old guys grumbling to themselves at the bar and nothing else going on. I've never been back but I can't imagine it has changed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

padi89 wrote:
    Been in there a few times Branskys,pretty scary place.I wouldnt really call it a pub more a
    dodgy alleyway,like the lantern.
    Used to have a drink in there on x-mass eve after work, x-mass would never be the same without seeing a good 'ol westside punch-up, you were always guarenteed one......aaahhhhhhhhh memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

Used to have a drink in there on x-mass eve after work, x-mass would never be the same without seeing a good 'ol westside punch-up, you were always guarenteed one......aaahhhhhhhhh memories

I'm from Westside and I wouldn't go near the place . Was home at Christmas for a few weeks and driving past Branskys (as it will forever be known) on Christmas Eve , there were about 30 minks gathered . It was like the children of the knacker corn . Been in there a few times and the only thing it's good for is getting late take out . Westsieeeede !

branskys, is that over near dunnes?

JIZZLORD wrote:
    branskys, is that over near dunnes?

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

IronMan wrote:
    It was called O'Malleys, and it was a great spot. The owner was possibly the rudest man I have ever met, his son was the second rudest, the place had no visible air conditioning, and yet I still loved the place. Never afraid to put on a metal gig, was O'Malleys.
    Sorely missed.

Rather be a so-called crustie, than a pink polo shirt wearing, CP's attending, Stereophonics listening, business studies student, slab of blandness and uniformity.

It was a great spot. I used to work there myself, and indeed, it was probably the crustiest place out, but many a great night was had there.

I'll never forget the time a band from Cork called Witch Hammer were playing, and they covered themselves in pigs blood, and threw a pig's head around. You should've heard auld Jerry cursing and fecking! Thankfully I was acting as bouncer that night, and didn't have to clean up the mess. :D

• Advertisement

padi89 wrote:
    Yup.

i lived out that way for a while, never was in the pub but visited the offie a few times and even that was rough, i rarely wentured further west...

Advertisement