Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Training Camp/Chile Squad Announced

• 08-05-2006 2:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought this deserves its own thread despite the Jason Byrne thread.

The full squad is:
    Goalkeepers: Shay Given (Newcastle United), Paddy Kenny (Sheffield United), Wayne Henderson (Brighton).

Defenders: Gary Breen (Sunderland), Ian Harte (Levante), Steve Finnan (Liverpool), Andy O’Brien (Portsmouth), Richard Dunne (Manchester City), John O’Shea (Manchester United), Stephen Kelly (Spurs), Joey O’Brien (Bolton Wanderers).

Midfielders: Liam Miller (Manchester United – on loan at Leeds United), Kevin Kilbane (Everton), Steven Reid (Blackburn Rovers), Andy Reid (Spurs), Damien Duff (Chelsea), Graham Kavanagh (Wigan Athletic), Jonathan Douglas (Blackburn Rovers – on loan at Leeds United), Liam Lawrence (Sunderland), Alan Quinn (Sheffield United), Michael Doyle (Coventry City).

Forwards: Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur), Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace), Kevin Doyle (Reading), Stephen Elliott (Sunderland), Jason Byrne (Shelbourne), Alan Lee (Ipswich Town), Aiden McGeady (Celtic), Terry Dixon (Spurs).

For me the one decision that is downright ridiculous is the inclusion of Terry Dixon. For one thing he has never played a senior game for Spurs, in fact to the best of my knowledge he has never even played a reserve game for Spurs and currently plays for their Under-18 side. Now what the hell is going on when a plyer like that is called up to a SENIOR INTERNATIONAL SIDE despite never having even played a reserve game. Joke decision by Stan.

Another thing to note is that Morrisson(unlikely), Miller and Douglas could be involved in the Championships playoff final which would rule them out of the squad. Because its a training camp I expect 6 or 7 players to be dropped from the squad anyway which may mean Jason Byrne being dropped from the squad.

I also think that McCarthy should have been included in at least the training camp squad. We dont exactly have great cover at centre back at the moment and need to start bringing in the younger players.

What do you guys make of the squad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Good to see Douglas, Quinn, and Michael Doyle getting the callup. Was hoping Gary Breen would have retired by now (liability). No idea who that Dixon chap is, so won't say anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Surprised that in such a large squad there is no room for Steven Hunt or Shane Long from Reading, and of course Wes Hoolahan is yet again overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

happy to see Quinn in there, i think he is a quality footballer, and also good for Lawerence to get another chance to shine as well, was thinking Stan might give Trundle a chance in the training camp but then realised that he will be involved in the play off's with Swansea. I thought Stephen McPhail might have been given a chance as he has been playing well with Barnsley, albeit in League One.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Surprised that in such a large squad there is no room for Steven Hunt or Shane Long from Reading, and of course Wes Hoolahan is yet again overlooked.

But yet Terry Dixon makes the squad :confused:

Kingp35 wrote:
    But yet Terry Dixon makes the squad :confused:
    The mind boggles alright. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Potential versus fat and crap. Thats why Dixon is in ahead of Wes Hoolahan. Just my opinion.

Also, its probably to encourage Dixon, who scored a lot of goals for the youth teams lately and been our best player.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Draupnir wrote:
    Potential versus fat and crap. Thats why Dixon is in ahead of Wes Hoolahan. Just my opinion.

Also, its probably to encourage Dixon, who scored a lot of goals for the youth teams lately and been our best player.

The only sound reason I can think of is because Dixon is English born and therefor Stan wants to make sure that he plays for Ireland. Surely the likes of Stokes, Trundle, Connolly, Long and even Michael Reddy are ahead of Dixon in the pecking order. Remember this guy has yet to even play a reserve game!

Fat and crap? :D

May I also ask how many times you have seen Terry Dixon play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm surprised no-one has asked where Lee Trundle is yet!? :D

Lemlin wrote:
    I'm surprised no-one has asked where Lee Trundle is yet!? :D

Playing for Swansea in the Play-offs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Thought Breen had retired. Would have liked to have seen Paul McShane in there.

Kingp35 how has Jonathon Douglas done at Leeds? Thought he had completely gone off the scene.

Kingp35 how has Jonathon Douglas done at Leeds? Thought he had completely gone off the scene.

Didnt have a great start but has really started playing well once Leeds started playing a 3 man central midfield with Douglas on the right side of that centre. There was uproar when Bakke was picked to start ahead of him on Friday night which tells you how highly rated he is by Leeds fans. KB has already said he is very interested in signing him permanently which can only be good for Douglas. Seems to be getting better the more games he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I've not seen Dixon play, or ever heard of him for that matter, however if he is deemed to be 'that good' to be picked for Ireland, then he is good enough to be blended into the squad environment for what is a training camp.

I'd far rather see players of the future being introduced into this arena for this type of game, than players who we know what they can (or can't) do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

That's good to hear. I always thought he was a potentially exiting player, but thought he had disappeared off the earth when he wasn't getting a look in at Blackburn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Walcott has started 13 first team matches in his career. There's a difference between making the England squad for the World cup and a 29 man Ireland squad for training camp. Walcott has not proved anything yet and it was Leon Best before him that was a star in Southampton's reserves.

The reason Dixon isn't a regular in the Spurs reserves is because of his age. If a 16 year old pushes a 20/21 year old out of the reserves than you might aswell write the 20 year old off. Barnard is 5 years older than Dixon so this season was always make or break for him. Dixon has played a few reserve games and should be a regular next season.

Spurs definitely rate him very highly. Every time he's away with Ireland Spurs only allow him to play a certain amount of minutes. This means that he usually starts on the bench and more often than not scores when he comes on. He must have the best goals/games ratio at Ireland U17 level in a long time and he has probably started about 3 games. Apparantly Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, PSG and Lyon were after him and he chose Spurs.

I think it's an excellent idea by Staunton to reward players at underage level with a callup.

"I've spoken with (underage managers) Sean (McCaffrey) and Don (Givens) and I want to reward at least one player in each squad who they felt were progressing."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think its a good choice aswell. I am sure he will be only included in the training squad and then cut when the proper squad is annoucned for the friendly.

Kingp35 - i find it strange that you give out so much about the inclusion on terry dixon becuase he is too young, then in your last paragraph you state your disappointment at McCarthy not being included and say that "we need to start bringing in younger players"

Kingp35 - i find it strange that you give out so much about the inclusion on terry dixon becuase he is too young, then in your last paragraph you state your disappointment at McCarthy not being included and say that "we need to start bringing in younger players"

There is a huge difference. When I said we need to bring through younger players I was specificallt talking about centre backs because thats where the squad is weak. In the case of McCarthy, he is regular starter in a senior side whereas Dixon doesnt even get a game in a reserve side and hasnt got anywhere near a senior squad in club football even. I think a call up to the Under-21 side is what Dixon deserves but not the senior squad. Surely there are players out there that are more deserving of a place in this training camp than Dixon.

McShane, Coughlan and Doherty all got Player of the year for their club this season. McCarthy made the top 3 at Leicester. All centre halfs playing in the Championship. Coughlan never gets a mention when he probably should have at least 1 cap by now.

Thats my point eireboy. We have some great young Centre Backs coming through but Stan seems to be overlooking them all. Gary Breen is past it, one or two of the young lads should be brought in to give them some experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i'd say as has already been posted that dixon is a case of claiming him as an Irish player lik the mcgeddy lad, play them young have them when they are older. i expect 5 mins before the end welcome to the game, full time, see you in 5 years TBH

no Wes shocking
    no Georgie shocking
    prefrer to see big nose hawkins ahead of breen TBH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What`s the story with Stephen Ireland, injured?

blu_sonic wrote:
    i'd say as has already been posted that dixon is a case of claiming him as an Irish player lik the mcgeddy lad, play them young have them when they are older. i expect 5 mins before the end welcome to the game, full time, see you in 5 years TBH
    I don't think that's the case at all. He asked McCaffrey who has been the most impressive player at U17 level and McCaffrey told him it was Dixon. He has called him into the squad for a training camp as a "reward".

As for Wes, considering the stick that Kerr got for calling up Doyle I don't think Stan could win whether he called up Hoolahan or not.

Ireland is still injured afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Lets face it it's just a case of getting Dixon tied down so he will never be able to play for anyone else, they will not play him for about 3 or 4 year which personally I thinks a bit unfair on the lad.

As long as his going into all this with his eyes open it's far game.

Not sure why people are talking about Trundle, I mean he was on the bench Saturday following a 6 game drought!!!! Until he performs in the Championship I think Stan is wise to steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

Why not bring Dixon into the training squad? I would much rather see him and Stokes there instead of Clinton. It is only a training squad and Stan wants to have a look at players who may be very important to Ireland over the next few years. In relation to Dixon, i will take bets that he will play at some stage of next year for spurs in the premiership. I have only seen bits of him and he looks very good and i have only heard good things about him too.

In relation to the defence, i am very surprised that Breen is still there. That is a joke as he had a mare all year. Would much rather see Coughlan, McShane or McCarthy get a run out. Watch out for Jason Gavin too as i reckon he will be back over in england before long from his performances this season.

Another couple of players i think should have made the training squad at least are Corks 2 midfielders. Both are very good and would definitely do a job in the championship.

Gavin has been linked with Reading. Wasn't up to much against Shels last Thursday tbqh.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Gavin has been linked with Reading. Wasn't up to much against Shels last Thursday tbqh.

He is a decent player but not sure if I would count him as Premiership standard which is what Reading should be looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree that bringing Dixon to a training camp is a different kettle of fish to bringing Walcott to the World Cup. No harm in giving the kids a taste of things. Which is why I'm shocked that Breen is in there ahead of the likes of McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

jason gavin was in the premiership with boro, he moved to bradford then to us and on the the drogs, he's good enough to make it imho

Advertisement