Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The England Squad

• 08-05-2006 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

GK's:

Paul Robinson
    David James
    Robert Green

Defenders:

Gary Neville
    Rio Ferdinand
    John Terry
    Ashley Cole
    Sol Campbell
    Jamie Carragher
    Wayne Bridge

Midfielders:

David Beckham
    Michael Carrick
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Owen Hargreaves
    Jermaine Jenas
    Stuart Downing
    Joe Cole
    Aaron Lennon

Forwards:

Wayne Rooney
    Michael Owen
    Peter Crouch
    Theo Walcott!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

awful - my post in the theo walcott thread says somewhat more on my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Theo!! Im happy with the inclusion of Lennon as i think he's a very good player but SWP will be a little hurt surely. And what about Darren Bent?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sven has lost the plot, serious lack of strikers in the squad including a man with a broken foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Solid defesnsively, apart from maybe king instead of campbell....

lennon is a good choice too IMO, don't know if he'll make the final squad though (as SWP (not even on standby) has barely played this season and Lennon has been electric)...

Hargreaves seems like the utility man of the squad

and 1 of 4 strikers is an uncapped, 17 year old with no premiership experience and included (seemingly) off the back of a few decent championship games, hopefully he'll set the word on fire!

Can't believe that Defoe/Bent isn't there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Players can be replaced up to 24hrs before the first game. Plus, England haven't got a massively difficult group, so if Rooney is fit by the knockout stages all will be forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

The stand by players are :

Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

:eek:

Smack in the face to Bent and Defoe.

And no SWP as backup for Becks. Suprised there. Don't know anything about Lennon at this level. Maybe Gerrard gets moved to right wing if Beckham gets injured.

We don't have a diffcult group really no but with Rooney out of them (i imagine he will be) and Owen no where near match fit is is to be Crouch and Walcott up top in the group games or playing 4-5-1 with Gerrard/Lampard/Cole playing off Crouch?

Aso, how big an influence was McClaren in deciding Downing should go? I personally am glad both he and Lennon have been picked, proper wingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't know what Sven is up to. He left out a striker who has played consistently well for the U21s in the past and scored 20+ goals for a PL team in his first season for a teenager who has yet to start a PL game AFAIK.

I don't think Defoe deserves to go but he deserved to get the call ahead of Walcott. If I was Bent or Defoe, I'd refuse to play for England again, it's a disgrace IMO.

The stand by players are :

Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

I think Phil Neville was mentioned too! My bad, he's not in it, ur spot on Cruiserweight... AJ over Bent??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

very strong in defense and midfield but they are really lacking up front! suprised Bent didnt get in.... wasnt expecting defoe to make it! SWP must be rightly pissed off! his move to Chelsea ruined his chances!!

glad to see lennon and downing make the squad! 2 class players IMO and fully deserve thier chance!

Major gamble on Walcott! hasnt played a 1st team game for arsenal yet but could potentially make his england debut before his club debut! that doesnt happen too often!

would have liked to see wes brown in instead of campbell or at least on teh stand-by's instead of luke young! he's done really well for united all season!

Lemlin wrote:
    I'd refuse to play for England again, it's a disgrace IMO.

Bit extreme isn't it?

jobonar wrote:
    would have liked to see wes brown in instead of campbell or at least on teh stand-by's instead of luke young! he's done really well for united all season!

I would have liked to have seen Wes there too, can play at centre half or right back, more versatile than Young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Some strange inclusions. Well I think in Sven's last hurrah, he will go some way to shirking his conservative reputation. Lennon and Walcott are exciting inclusions, but you have to question the omission of SWP and Darren Bent in particular. I know Walcott is an unkown entity and has bags of potential, but come on, Bent has been a revelation this year and it's a travesty he's not even on standby! As for SWP, the Chelsea gravy train isn't looking as delectable now I'm sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

King should be in ahead of Campbell, but even if he wanted to keep Campbell he should have king instead of Hargreaves.

As for strikers. 1 with a broken foot, one injury prone , half (at most) fit recovering from a broken foot, one who has never played in the premiership and has no competitive football for months........................and Peter Crouch

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I would have liked to have seen Wes there too, can play at centre half or right back, more versatile than Young

exactly wat i was thinking! he'd be cover for neville if he were to get injured. thy have no other right back as such except carragher but he hasnt played there much! plus brown has been uniteds best defender this season by far! is luke young even gonna be fit enough to go if needed?? the last thing england need is another crock in the squad!

Darren Bent isn't even on standby ...madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Think its hilarious, just another example that Sven is an over rated twat of a manager who really hasn't a clue.

besty wrote:
    As for SWP, the Chelsea gravy train isn't looking as delectable now I'm sure!

Just think if he'd have stayed at city, probably had another blinding season with them and there would have been talk of him taking Beckham's place rather than making the squad !

BolBill wrote:
    Think its hilarious, just another example that Sven is an over rated twat of a manager who really hasn't a clue.
    You're going to say that without a ball even being kicked?

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    King should be in ahead of Campbell, but even if he wanted to keep Campbell he should have king instead of Hargreaves.

Agreed, he can play in more positions but like Sven said, he's injured at the moment and we already have anough doubts within the prov squad
    Stekelly wrote:
    As for strikers. 1 with a broken foot, one injury prone , half (at most) fit recovering from a broken foot, one who has never played in the premiership and has no competitive football for months........................and Peter Crouch

I'm very concerned about the lack of fire-power, even if Rooney plays he won't be as fit as he needs to be..like you say Owen isn't right either and i don't think Crouch will bang them in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    GK's:

Paul Robinson
    David James
    Robert Green

Defenders:

Gary Neville
    Rio Ferdinand
    John Terry
    Ashley Cole
    Sol Campbell
    Jamie Carragher
    Wayne Bridge

Midfielders:

David Beckham
    Michael Carrick
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Owen Hargreaves
    Jermaine Jenas
    Stuart Downing
    Joe Cole
    Aaron Lennon

Forwards:

Wayne Rooney
    Michael Owen
    Peter Crouch
    Theo Walcott!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Do you reckon he picked names out of a hat?

jobonar wrote:
    exactly wat i was thinking! he'd be cover for neville if he were to get injured. thy have no other right back as such except carragher but he hasnt played there much! plus brown has been uniteds best defender this season by far! is luke young even gonna be fit enough to go if needed?? the last thing england need is another crock in the squad!

as well as Carragher i guess Hargreaves can fill the right back role, as he has done before.

They've just said they're going to hear from Bent later on, he must be raging!

BBC:
    England omission disappoints Bent

Charlton striker Darren Bent will book an immediate holiday after being overlooked for this summer's World Cup.

Bent, the top scoring Englishman in the Premiership this season with 18 goals, was not only left out of Eriksson's squad but also the standby list.

"I am obviously really disappointed," Bent said on his agents' website.

"I wasn't taking anything for granted but I was very hopeful of being included. All I can do now is go away on holiday and recharge my batteries."
    Feel sorry for the guy. Guess its because he doesn't play for one of the big teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Just think if he'd have stayed at city, probably had another blinding season with them and there would have been talk of him taking Beckham's place rather than making the squad !
    I can't help but think you're right. Before he left, SWP was becoming Man City's talisman. Another season there would have seen him develop further into that role and be an automatic inclusion in the World Cup squad. His move from City was inevitable but I think he moved one season too early.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    as well as Carragher i guess Hargreaves can fill the right back role, as he has done before.

They've just said they're going to hear from Bent later on, he must be raging!

forgot aboit hargreaves but he's just aboit scrapped into the squad so i still think brown was a better option! yeah bent must be raging! 18 goals this season, highest scoring englishman in teh PL and loses his place to an uncapped 17 yr old who hasnt played a game in the PL yet! Walcott is probably the more talented of the 2 but bent has some experience of the england camp so that should have swung in his favour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

King would definitely be in ahead of Campbell if he was fit. Walcott is a bit of a joke. I don't know why Wenger was telling Sven to take him even though he hasn't played a minute for Arsenal yet. Leaving Wright Philips out however was the right call. He's hardly played this season and when he has he hasn't done much. Lennon is an exciting player and it's not like they're going to have to rely on him. Just something different from the bench. It's Wright Philip's own fault for going to Chelsea really. Everyone knew what was going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Stekelly wrote:

king is injured....afaik....

besty wrote:
    I can't help but think you're right. Before he left, SWP was becoming Man City's talisman. Another season there would have seen him develop further into that role and be an automatic inclusion in the World Cup squad. His move from City was inevitable but I think he moved one season too early.

He did move too early aye. I'm sure he's happy with his Premiership winners medal and all but the fact is that he's been a bit part player, getting 20 mins here and there (was he not subbed against Fulham after like 25 mins of sumthin?)...

He could have moved on to a bigger club after this world cup if he had have stayed at city, guaranteed a place in the squad then...Liverpool are in need of a right winger and he'd have definitely got into that team...could have been so different!

Feel so sorry for Darren Bent, can't understand why Sven keeps talkng about gambling (talking to Rooney perhaps :D ), if it backfires then England fan's will not be happy but sure he's leaving anyway so i guess he won't be too bothered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

ok, I've calmed down.

That is hilarious.

Hrmm Walcott over Defoe.
    Johnson over Bent

Scott Carson in the reserve list???!?!

Where are Nolan, Bullard, O'Neil, ?

My god, the man is clearly either an idiot or the most diabolical swedish espionage agent ever.

Looks like Nolan may be Irish after all ;)

jobonar wrote:
    f yeah bent must be raging! 18 goals this season, highest scoring englishman in teh PL and loses his place to an uncapped 17 yr old who hasnt played a game in the PL yet! Walcott is probably the more talented of the 2 but bent has some experience of the england camp so that should have swung in his favour!

your right, he has more experience, he did it all at under 21 level and a great first season in Prem... wasn't Walcott injured for a while too? hope it works out though!

King would definitely be in ahead of Campbell if he was fit. Walcott is a bit of a joke. I don't know why Wenger was telling Sven to take him even though he hasn't played a minute for Arsenal yet. Leaving Wright Philips out however was the right call. He's hardly played this season and when he has he hasn't done much. Lennon is an exciting player and it's not like they're going to have to rely on him. Just something different from the bench. It's Wright Philip's own fault for going to Chelsea really. Everyone knew what was going to happen.

Svens being watching Walcott at Highbury for last month. Apparently while watching cole and Campbell getting FIT, he noticed Walcott. Walcott is defo one for the future hes got pace. I suppose he didnt see anything in Johnson and Bent to make them shine in the world cup. Its a gamble, but england are fairly short of decent strikers. I have a sneaking feeling hell be playing Crouch up front on his own with Gerrard pushing up more if owen not fit.

It's Wright Philip's own fault for going to Chelsea really. Everyone knew what was going to happen.

I don't think you can blame him really...he wants to win things and Chelsea was the right option for that

as said before though, probably too early for him to go there!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    your right, he has more experience, he did it all at under 21 level and a great first season in Prem... wasn't Walcott injured for a while too? hope it works out though!
    Walcott hasn't had any injury other than perhaps a little knock here and there.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    I don't think you can blame him really...he wants to win things and Chelsea was the right option for that

has he made enough appearences to get a Premiership medal???. I suppose he could always try and but mourinhos from ebay!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That England squad looks very weak on paper.
    There are some players in that squad that are nowhere near international standard.
    They havent one decent keeper of the 3 chosen.
    They have only 1 right back,both left backs have played very little football this season.
    The midfielders are bereft of width,most of them are central midfielders,2 of whom (Jenas and Hargreaves are sub standard)
    As for their forwards,the 2 best are injured,1 has never played a Premiership match and the other guy is not international standard.
    England havent a hope in hell of winning the World Cup.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Walcott hasn't had any injury other than perhaps a little knock here and there.

I thought that was Wenger's justification for not playing him that much ( i saw him in a few reserve games but not many so thought he was injured)...then Wenger recommends him for England squad - ha!

May as well back Sven's decisions though, no point getting on his back without a ball being kicked. I hope it all works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SofaKing wrote:
    BBC: Feel sorry for the guy. Guess its because he doesn't play for one of the big teams.
    What like Andy Johnson does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Paul Robinson is a world class keeper!

the chances of them winning it have decreased alright.... wonder wat odd's ya'll get on them winning it now in the bookies now!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement

There are some players in that squad that are nowhere near international standard.
    They have only 1 right back,both left backs have played very little football this season.
    The midfielders are bereft of width,most of them are central midfielders,2 of whom (Jenas and Hargreaves are sub standard)
    As for their forwards,the 2 best are injured,1 has never played a Premiership match and the other guy is not international standard.
    They have a very good keeper in Paul Robinson, and the inclusion of Downing and Lennon means they have great width on either side.

The midfielders are bereft of width,most of them are central midfielders.

Someone had made their mind up already...i disagree with the squad on paper comment, we have some of the best players in the world - Gerrard and Lampard are 2 of the best midfielders in the world at the moment with the form they have

Beckham, despite what he has achieved, is still such an underrated player and Joe cole must be a very tricky player for any defender to play against, his goal against Utd for chelsea was absolute class!

Defnce is rock solid, cant think of many better defences than this one...don't agree with you on the keepers Robinson is class and it's unlikely he will need to be replaced!

It's only the forwards i have a problem with, Crouch is described as being "something different" and as we all kno Walcott is untried....it could turn out that Rooney and Owen are both fit and may lead the line, if not i reckon it will be a 5 man midfield, with Carrick holding and Lampard and Gerrard bombing on!

p_larkin99 wrote:

He didn't need to go to Chelsea. For a player like him the competition for places was too much. He could have gone to Arsenal. He could be playing in a champions league final and starting on the right for England, at least making the squad. I can't really remember but I'm sure more teams were after him than just Chelsea and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BaZmO* wrote:
    Paul Robinson is a world class keeper!
    What does World Class mean ? :rolleyes:
    I hear that expression creeping in alot over the last few months ?
    World Class ?
    Class of how many ? 20,50,100,500 ??
    He is a solid keeper but prone to making a few mistakes.
    The English team is solid but thats not enough to win a World Cup,nowhere near it.

He didn't need to go to Chelsea. For a player like him the competition for places was too much. He could have gone to Arsenal. He could be playing in a champions league final and starting on the right for England, at least making the squad. I can't really remember but I'm sure more teams were after him than just Chelsea and Arsenal.

Could Arsenal afford to pay that? they couldn't compete with Chelsea for his signature so he wouldn't have had the option of going there!

World Class ?
    The English team is solid but thats not enough to win a World Cup,nowhere near it.
    Well what does "decent" mean, as you claim England don't have one decent keeper in the squad.

"World Class" means he is one of the best at his job in the world, and as he is the undoubted Number One of one of the top 15 or 20 footballing nations in the world (or higher) I would imagine he isn't far off that.

What are the "few mistakes" you are talking about? I'm sure all goalkeepers have made mistakes but Robinson has made less than most from what I have seen of him.

the squad looks weak on paper but barring any injuries ,10 of the starting 11 are the best thy have but if there are any injuries or fatigue then i dont think thy have the dept to cover for the loses! q/f could be as far as thy go cos thy wont get thru the groups without at least 1 injury or an injury doubt!

i think robinson is a v.good keeper but the backup isnt great at all!

World Class ?

I can't think of too many just off the top of my head!

I seem to remember Greece not even being regarded as a solid team, it jsut shows if you have the right mix of players who play well together then you can succeed. The English team (the first 11) is definitely good enough to win a world cup!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Beckham, despite what he has achieved, is still such an underrated player

One of the most OVERrated players in recent years. He cant tackle, he cant beat players, he cant head the ball and he is as slow as a donkey.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    Could Arsenal afford to pay that? they couldn't compete with Chelsea for his signature so he wouldn't have had the option of going there!

I suppose so. Afterwards Wenger was complaining about Chelsea wrecking the transfer market, I think it was mainly because of that deal. But everyone I talk about football with thought the same thing as me, that what has happened would happen. Could he have just said he had no interest in going to Chelsea before the bidding war started? I'm guessing Liverpool and United would have been interested in his signature as well. What Chelsea paid for him was stupid money that nobody else was going to pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement