Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The England Squad

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Knock yourself out. I love when United fans start having a go at Crouch, I’m sure he finds it chronically amusing too.
    Not United fans - its actually everyone bar Liverpool fans and even a good few of them I know don't rate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

TheMonster wrote:
    Not United fans - its actually everyone bar Liverpool fans and even a good few of them I know don't rate him.
    Get off your high horse - sure plenty of Liverpool fans don't rate him - most do however. He's not a striker, don't get me wrong though.

Plenty of Villa fans rate him too.

<edit>

Eriksson told [url]www.thefa.com:[/url] "If that case arises, we have lots of choices.

"We can continue with 4-4-2, with Crouch up top and one behind.

"Or we could play 4-3-3 with Crouch alone and two wingers, and we have lots of wingers.

"Or we could play 4-5-1 with Crouch up top and five midfielders, so we have options."

I think they're a bit misguided here though - surely Crouch shouldn't be in all Sven's scenarios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

evilhomer wrote:
    You mean like Paul Scholes?? :p
    At least he tries. :) Butt, Blomqvist, Neville or whoever else would usually always be in midfield when Keane and Scholes played. It was only when they both started getting on a bit that they began to play together in a 4-4-2. Keane went over 50 games looking for his 50th United goal which shows how different his role was. Maybe in a few years when Gerrard has been transformed into a holding midfielder will they be able to play together in a 4-4-2. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Stekelly wrote:
    He didnt score 21 goals this season by being a DM. Same with Lampard. Those 4 in midfield is too attack to play and win against most top teams (obviusly it would the odd time)

So what midfield would you propose?

Something like:

.........................................Robinson......................................
    Neville...............Ferdinand........................Terry..................Cole
    ........................................Carragher.....................................
    ........................Gerrard..........................Lampard...................
    .......Beckham........................................................Cole.........
    .........................................Owen.........................................

irish1 wrote:
    So what midfield would you propose?

Something like:

.........................................Robinson......................................
    Neville...............Ferdinand........................Terry..................Cole
    ........................................Carragher.....................................
    ........................Gerrard..........................Lampard...................
    .......Beckham........................................................Cole.........
    .........................................Owen.........................................
    .......Gerrard.........................................................Cole..........
    .........................................Lampard......................................
    .........................Crouch..........................Owen......................

would be closer to what I'd pick - not too happy with Carragher though, possibly use Carrick or King if he was in the squad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

After the stick he got last time for using it i can't see the diamond being re-introduced!

Maybe Walcott is the starting of a brave new Sven? not quite sure I'd play it as a diamond as such - Holding midfielder Carragher (or whoever) with Lampard pushing forward. Cole and Gerrard out wide, only way I can draw that is as a diamond :)

p.pete wrote:
    Maybe Walcott is the starting of a brave new Sven? not quite sure I'd play it as a diamond as such - Holding midfielder Carragher (or whoever) with Lampard pushing forward. Cole and Gerrard out wide, only way I can draw that is as a diamond :)

because that is the diamond formation basically, with 1 midfielder holding and the other attacking, then wit h2 other midfielders in the centre of the pitch!

p_larkin99 wrote:
    because that is the diamond formation basically, with 1 midfielder holding and the other attacking, then wit h2 other midfielders in the centre of the pitch!
    Suppose I could have drawn Lamps, Gerrard and Cole on the same line - tbh I don't think Sven is going to get it right...

Also my team leaves out Beckham and that's not going to happen however poor he's playing.

I can see Sven constantly changing formation from game to game (and not to counteract the oppostition).... i just hope we can get a good formula in one of the friendlies before hand and stick with it.....and yes no way will Beckham be dropped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

TheMonster wrote:
    As I said already plenty of Southampton fans rate him. Portsmouth fans rate him. The English management rate him. In fact any team that he has had a decent chance in he has done quite well, and those teams fans and the team management all rated him. So your allegation seems flawed, but then again I wouldn't expect anything else coming from you, particularly concerning anything Liverpool.

I'm also touched you felt the need to put that in your sig. I might get a video clip of the goal he knocked United out of the FA Cup with to put in mine :D He's got good feet for a big man you know ;)

As I said already plenty of Southampton fans rate him. Portsmouth fans rate him. The English management rate him. In fact any team that he has had a decent chance in he has done quite well, and those teams fans and the team management all rated him. So your allegation seems flawed, but then again I wouldn't expect anything else coming from you, particularly concerning anything Liverpool.

I'm also touched you felt the need to put that in your sig. I might get a video clip of the goal he knocked United out of the FA Cup with to put in mine :D He's got good feet for a big man you know ;)

And a touch bordering on the sublime some might say ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

SofaKing wrote:
    BBC: Feel sorry for the guy. Guess its because he doesn't play for one of the big teams.
    That's the funny thing, he plays for an average charlton side and still banged in the goals, which IMO proves he's worth at very least a standyby role....disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The thing about the Walcott over Bent argument is that as far as I was always concerned, when it came to international squad selection managers should always pick (in order of importance)
    1. Their on form proven players.
    2. On form players.
    and in extreme desparation cases, unknowns.
    Which in this case makes the Walcott decision unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

PHB wrote:

Don't compare this to Johnson, he is playing championship football and has had a poor season. Bent has been top class in the premiership for the entire season, he should be there ahead of some next wonder kid crap.

Johnson has scored 17 goals this season despite missing 1/3 of the games with injuries. He also is a proven top flight goalscorer having been the top english goal scorer in the premiership last season (in a relegated side)

He also has experience playing in a 4-5-1 formation which is what England are likely to play.

mike65 wrote:
    This Crouch=hoofing stuff is nonsense, if the critics on this thread actually watched Liverpool you'd know it. Just cos he's tall it does'nt mean he is Cascarino, Crouch has a first touch!

Mike.

But Michael Owen can outjump him. He is a 6'7" striker who can't score and can't use his height. I don't actually know what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

The fact he has scored 17 goals in a poor league is irrelevant, he needs to play at a top level consistently, you can't go from playing Crewe to Sweden!! just doesn’t work.

Bent and Defoe should be well ahead of him ON MERIT, I mean even Morrison looks good player in The Championship!

Mr Posh wrote:
    The fact he has scored 17 goals in a poor league is irrelevant, he needs to play at a top level consistently, you can't go from playing Crewe to Sweden!! just doesn’t work.

Bent and Defoe should be well ahead of him ON MERIT, I mean even Morrison looks good player in The Championship!

You don't suddenly become a bad player just because you drop down a division. The fact remains, AJ scores goals at whatever level he plays.

Lets not forget he had one good season and I admit if the World Cup was last Summer I would want him in but it's not.

I mean he has not even played a game for England all year he might as well picked Darren Huckerby scored more Premiership goals than Johnson but he plays in a poor league.

The one time he played for England Sven put him on the right wing of a 4-5-1, Sven just does som weird things.

Other wise I’m happy enough:0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

p.pete wrote:
    Maybe Walcott is the starting of a brave new Sven?

Leavign it a bit late to start tryign to be a good manager isnt he? What with him leaving in 2 months and all.

• Advertisement

Mr Posh wrote:
    he might as well picked Darren Huckerby

Crazy talk !

Stekelly wrote:
    Leavign it a bit late to start tryign to be a good manager isnt he? What with him leaving in 2 months and all.

Thats exactly right, he can take gambles now and if they don't pay off then he doesn't have to worry about it!

Anyone want try and second guess this crazy Swede?

Heres my pick from the squad

Robinson

Nev Terry Ferdie Cole

Carrick

Becks Lamps Stevie Cole

Owen

This give Lamps and Steve the freedom to play there natural attacking game.

Who knows what the man will do next!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Eriksson yet to see Walcott play

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has revealed he picked Arsenal teenager Theo Walcott for the World Cup despite never having seen him play a match.

The 17-year-old striker was the shock inclusion in the 23-man squad.

"I've seen him perhaps three times in training," said Eriksson. "At Arsenal training on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch.

"You can see how good the technique is because space is very small. And I saw him do some finishing."

The rest here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/4752671.stm

The mind boggles!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mr Posh wrote:
    Anyone want try and second guess this crazy Swede?

Heres my pick from the squad

Robinson

Nev Terry Ferdie Cole

Carrick

Becks Lamps Stevie Cole

Owen

This give Lamps and Steve the freedom to play there natural attacking game.

Who knows what the man will do next!!!!!!!
    Providing all bar Rooney are fit, I can't see the team being anything but that (bar possibly 4-4-2 against T&T).

I think it's long established that national teams aren't a meritocracy. Managers pick the players they feel will do the best job for them (and occasionally for other reasons... :p). I guess Sven feels Walcott can potentially do more in a handful minutes than Bent or Johnson or the likes.

Advertisement