Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Eyre Square is Lacking

Options
  • 08-05-2006 3:53pm

Okay, whilst walking around Eyre Square it has come to me that it is lacking a few different things. Excluding the obvious ones like bins, and lighting issues, something I have always felt it is lacking is some sort of restaurant/cafe/shop. The now-pedestrianised area around the Skeff would be excellent, and it wouldn't require much work either; what with Eyre Square Stores having closed down.

Possibly something reminiscent of what you'd find on Quay street would be excellent.. somewhere ya can get a cup of coffee and just sit outside with it. I realise the fact that there is the Bagel Bar near Supermacs, but I still think that this area would be perfect for it.

What do other people think?

Perhaps even the supposed Starbucks would be great there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

whats that stupid lookin thing with the fiber optic xmas lights on one side of the wall gonna be? they could sell coffee and stuff there i guess.

although vthat shop that uses to be beside the skeff is up for sale something could be done there

danniemcq wrote:
    whats that stupid lookin thing with the fiber optic xmas lights on one side of the wall gonna be. they could sell coffee and stuff there i guess.

although vthat shop that uses to be beside the skeff is up for sale something could be done there

I have heard rumours from taxi/hackney drivers that it is going to be a tourist information booth. I think someone actually bought up Eyre Square stores already, I could be wrong though.

suppose that'd make sense but to me it would seem like a waste seein that the main tourist office is only a minute away down forster street

danniemcq wrote:
    suppose that'd make sense but to me it would seem like a waste seein that the main tourist office is only a minute away down forster street

But alot of tourists don't actually know its down there. Which is kinda stupid, because it does stick out a fair amount.

When I first saw it, I thought it was going to be some sort of shop. And I hope that those people were wrong, but a tourist point like that would be good, though I can't see it lasting long til some eejit tags it.

But alot of tourists don't actually know its down there. Which is kinda stupid, because it does stick out a fair amount.

When I first saw it, I thought it was going to be some sort of shop. And I hope that those people were wrong, but a tourist point like that would be good, though I can't see it lasting long til some eejit tags it.

if it was tagged proper it might look kinda cool. isn't the tourist office down beside where all the tourist buses come in? or have they moved?

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote:
    if it was tagged proper it might look kinda cool. isn't the tourist office down beside where all the tourist buses come in? or have they moved?

It's moved up by the blue house in Eyre Square. Well at least the City Link buses have for sure, not sure about the others.

huh maybe a tourist office then but i know it's a major tourist atraction but havin a box in the middle of a park lookin like that may give the area a cheap look in my opinion

danniemcq wrote:
    huh maybe a tourist office then but i know it's a major tourist atraction but havin a box in the middle of a park lookin like that may give the area a cheap look in my opinion

Perhaps. It might be turn out to be a shop in the end. Though I doubt it will be selling coffee, as there doesn't appear to be adequate seating facilities around it, and even bins for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Eyre Sq store has been sold, and is now up for rent, 3 floors. It would a be a savage investment for a good shop with seating outside and snacks/hotfood.

Anyone have a 60-70,000 euros lying around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

it would be ,especially now with eyre square all pedestrian ized and looking so good, you could have a place there that is the centre of it all...
    i have 50 euros!
    Eyre Sq store has been sold, and is now up for rent, 3 floors. It would a be a savage investment for a good shop with seating outside and snacks/hotfood.

Anyone have a 60-70,000 euros lying around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

A water feature is needed.

SyxPak wrote:

It has a semi-water feature.

As far as I know where the fountain used to be there is now these spurts of water, which are designed to be used every-so-often, and the lights around it will shine against these jets. It probably wont be used til the summer, but will probably look really nice.

Lets get a donation from each person here and rent out Eyre Square stores.

Who's with me?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

SyxPak wrote:
    But an interesting one. Like me, with a six of Tuborg on board firing a Karcher powerhouse at passers by.

Robbo wrote:
    But an interesting one. Like me, with a six of Tuborg on board firing a Karcher powerhouse at passers by.

or the usual array of drinkers will surely provide their own unique style of "water features"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ice scuptures that are replaced every day. Possibly of galways citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ripclaw

looking out of the window, wouldnt a roof be a cool water feature?

ripclaw wrote:
    looking out of the window, wouldnt a roof be a cool water feature?

a water roof? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

A Floozy in a Jacuzzi...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

a 2 storey underground car park would be handy,
    apparently 2 different building firms along with Pat mc Donagh approached the corporation with a view to refurbishing the Square at their own expense if they could buuild an underground car-park, keep it for 10 years, then hand it over to the corporation.but the idea was rejected, apparently, the city fathers thought it wiser to waste 14 million euros of tax payers money instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

A prostitution booth.. open 24 hours a day!

Imagine the business it would do on a Friday and Saturday night after the clubs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

A prostitution booth.. open 24 hours a day!

Imagine the business it would do on a Friday and Saturday night after the clubs!

no need for it theres plenty of whores in the clubs around town and they dont cost a penny.

padi89 wrote:
    no need for it theres plenty of whores in the clubs around town and they dont cost a penny.

Ah... the pathetic bluff of a fellow, who believes there is no life outside the internet

No offence of nothin!

padi89 wrote:

Thats not entirely true. You still have to buy em drinks.

Ah... the pathetic bluff of a fellow, who believes there is no life outside the internet

No offence of nothin!

No offense taken as i have a very active social life and do alright with the ladies,wouldnt or have never need to pay for it,but have been tempeted.Boredom makes me post not inactivity and lately too much free time.

Thats not entirely true. You still have to buy em drinks.
    Not at the end of the night you dont:D The decent ones are usually taken at this stage so you have to go for the slim pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

What's similar between pulling in a club and a box of chocholates?
    If you arrive late all the nice ones are gone. Left are only the ones in the corners, full of liquer :D

padi89 wrote:
    No offense taken as i have a very active social life and do alright with the ladies,wouldnt or have never need to pay for it,but have been tempeted.Boredom makes me post not inactivity and lately too much free time.

Hahaha.. okay mate!

No need to explain yourself.. i was just making a pretty lame dig!

Advertisement