Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women crashing their cars

Options
  • 08-05-2006 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking how almost every female I know (with the exception of my mother) seems to crash their car on a regular basis. By regular I mean once every year or two, or sometimes more than once per year. They are invariably fairly minor crashes not involving injury or death but still result in thousands of quids worth of damage or written off cars. Often the crashes are their own fault sometimes another party is fully or partly to blame

In contrast the males that i know drive higher mileages but seem to crash far less often. This seems to back up the insurance statistics that we hear about women crashing more often but men having more expensive crashes. However I'd say it's a certain group of males that are having the majority of these expensive crashes i.e. young, STUPID males out showing off on a Saturday night. Not young, fairly sensible and intelligent males who might go out on a sat night but dangerous driving isn't an integral part of the night's entertainment.

Has anyone else noticed this pattern among the males and female they know.

I have to say that women crashing so often is not really a surprise. Anytime I am in a car with a female I feel that they aren't in full control of the car and are on the verge of a crash at all times :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

BrianD3 wrote:
    I was just thinking how almost every female I know (with the exception of my mother) seems to crash their car on a regular basis. By regular I mean once every year or two, or sometimes more than once per year. They are invariably fairly minor crashes not involving injury or death but still result in thousands of quids worth of damage or written off cars. Often the crashes are their own fault sometimes another party is fully or partly to blame

In contrast the males that i know drive higher mileages but seem to crash far less often. This seems to back up the insurance statistics that we hear about women crashing more often but men having more expensive crashes. However I'd say it's a certain group of males that are having the majority of these expensive crashes i.e. young, STUPID males out showing off on a Saturday night. Not young, fairly sensible and intelligent males who might go out on a sat night but dangerous driving isn't an integral part of the night's entertainment.

Has anyone else noticed this pattern among the males and female they know.

I have to say that women crashing so often is not really a surprise. Anytime I am in a car with a female I feel that they aren't in full control of the car and are on the verge of a crash at all times :)

Yep, my wife consistently crashes MY car... last week she got stuck on a pile of pea shingle (we're getting the driveway covered), managed to reverse off and took the front bumper clean off the car (misjudged the gate)... prior accidents include the usual multi-storey pillar rear door crash, front headlight smash.. amongst others....the usual retort to my annoyance ? "Sure its only a car"....

I chipped the paintwork on her pushbike yesterday while transporting it.. she went mental !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

BrianD3 wrote:

So well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

DOWN WITH WOMEN DRIVERS

I'm gona get killed for saying that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

fatboypee wrote:
    I chipped the paintwork on her pushbike yesterday while transporting it.. she went mental !!

Deliberately? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You're right BrianD3 women always crash their cars - thats why I drive a bike! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

qz wrote:
    Deliberately? ;)

:D nope... (unfortunately).... honestly tho, the damage she's caused in her time is amazing... yet still I'm accused of being the dodgy driver :rolleyes: ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

never mind the miles that they drive as fatboypee was saying they can crash outside the door,my wife is driving 7 years now and never so much as a tip (touch wood) and she drives on the naas rd, red cow area every day which most people hate,i also never had a crash (touch wood) and like BrianD3 says i would consider myself a safe enough driver who doesnt take chances in my car like my wife even though my wife does in miles in 5 years what i do in 1 year.
    The stats show clearly that men are more likely to crash that women and cost the insurance more in redress so the best I personally do is not add to those stats and look after myself on the road and keep an eye out for the mad drivers on the road male or female

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

fatboypee wrote:
    Pfft, bloody cyclists :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i no a girl who's been driving about 12-14 months has had 2 cars! her 1st car she had 3 incidents! reversed into a wall, drove into a bollard and then went up the arse of a bus and wrote the car off!

She's now on her 2nd car and she has it about 5 month and since she got it it has accumulated severly scraps, a broken wing mirror and a pretty big dent(door was opened into the same bollard as the other she drove into)!

also no a bloke who's gone thru 4 cars in less than 2 years between crashes adn general damage to them! in debt up to his eye balls! his list is
    Corsa,Punto,BMW,Vauxhall Nova(which he is selling)

1)flipped the corsa,
    2)drove over something in the punto and wrecked the radaiator and damaged the engine and drove into a gate that was closed but he thought it was open
    3)clutch went on BMW, leaking oil and petrol and windows stopped working
    4)the nova's boot doesnt open, lights randomly go off and blew the head gasket on the engine racing in it!

everything that went wrong was because of him! he needs a bus pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭colincarnate

u ever see them maneuvering in reverse, they never know which way to turn the wheel the divils

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

What a foolish thread! There are moronic drivers of both sexes on the roads. Women are no worse or better than men.

Macho springs to mind. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

Heinrich wrote:
    What a foolish thread! There are moronic drivers of both sexes on the roads. Women are no worse or better than men.

Macho springs to mind. :mad:

Untrue. I work with lots of women, and any that i've been in the car with are terrible drivers. You'd swer they had been driving only a couple of weeks. Taking chances and sitting with their faces near the steering wheel, explaining to you what they're doing etc as some kind of defense mechanism.

My Girlfriend has had her full licence since she was 18 (25 now) and i have been driving only about 7 months. She has had 2 minor incidents, i have had 0. She went over a bike rack in the carpark, and then we were coming out of the underground carpark in wexford and she just ploughed into the concrete step that the gate was on. No damage, just some scraped on the front bumper and wheel.

It’s threads like this that remind you that chauvinism is still well and truly alive.
    What do you want to hear boys?
    That ye are all still vastly superior to women and this is your last bastion, the car.
    Is the need to cling to your manhood still that strong? lol

Beruthiel wrote:
    It’s threads like this that remind you that chauvinism is still well and truly alive.
    What do you want to hear boys?
    That ye are all still vastly superior to women and this is your last bastion, the car.
    Is the need to cling to your manhood still that strong? lol

No, but insurance should be the same. Why would an 18 year old girl be able to get insured on a car for half the price of a 25 year old man? Thats not equal rights is it? If insurance was the same across the board i wouldn't give a ****.

Beruthiel wrote:
    That ye are all still vastly superior to women...

Of course we are. Cars are but one manifestation, and this is the forum for discussing such.

Epicpriest wrote:
    No, but insurance should be the same. Why would an 18 year old girl be able to get insured on a car for half the price of a 25 year old man? Thats not equal rights is it? If insurance was the same across the board i wouldn't give a ****.

How exactly is any of the above a womans fault?
    If it bothers you so much, why aren't you all lobbying the insurance companies? those are the people who have put this policy in place.
    Or do you think that whinging about women drivers on this forum is going to fix it?
    maidhc wrote:
    Of course we are. Cars are but one manifestation, and this is the forum for discussing such.

:D
    it's as I always suspected!

Epicpriest wrote:
    Untrue. I work with lots of women, and any that i've been in the car with are terrible drivers. You'd swer they had been driving only a couple of weeks. Taking chances and sitting with their faces near the steering wheel, explaining to you what they're doing etc as some kind of defense mechanism.

My Girlfriend has had her full licence since she was 18 (25 now) and i have been driving only about 7 months. She has had 2 minor incidents, i have had 0. She went over a bike rack in the carpark, and then we were coming out of the underground carpark in wexford and she just ploughed into the concrete step that the gate was on. No damage, just some scraped on the front bumper and wheel.

So you are basing your viewpoint on the fact that your girlfriend is an incompetent driver! You must be a wonderful driver with zero accidents afte only 7 months. When you do have one, which will eventually happen, please reflect on what you are saying now!

My wife is an excellent driver who has driven hundreds of thousands of kilometers on narrow alpine roads in all weather conditions and her most serious mishap was reversing into a post outside the Botanical Gardens many years ago. The dinge was so serious that we covered it up with a small sticker...

Why don't you buy yourself a full length mirror and take up weight lifting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I find its pretty much more male drivers having accidents amongst the people I know. But then ones a taxi driver and most of the rest drive sports cars, and the most of the girls don't. The girls tend to be doing less driving overall. Maybe thats a factor. Depends on the driving we are doing.

If the insurance companies releases some details stats on accidents and claims it would end a lot of this moaning.

Heinrich wrote:
    So you are basing your viewpoint on the fact that your girlfriend is an incompetent driver! You must be a wonderful driver with zero accidents afte only 7 months. When you do have one, which will eventually happen, please reflect on what you are saying now!

My wife is an excellent driver who has driven hundreds of thousands of kilometers on narrow alpine roads in all weather conditions and her most serious mishap was reversing into a post outside the Botanical Gardens many years ago. The dinge was so serious that we covered it up with a small sticker...

Why don't you buy yourself a full length mirror and take up weight lifting. :D

Please don't wish that on anyone.

My girlfriend is a great driver. Very confident, but seems to lose confidence a bit when in small areas.

• Advertisement

Epicpriest wrote:
    Please don't wish that on anyone.

My girlfriend is a great driver. Very confident, but seems to lose confidence a bit when in small areas.

Do you help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Epicpriest wrote:

Because and 18 year old girl will, on average, only be involved in minor scrapes, as listed above fender benders in car parks etc. small accidents that for the most part insurance companies never hear about and never have to pay out on.
    Also, again as pointed out above, even IF an 18 is equally liable to be involved in the same number of crashes over a certain amount of miles as a 25 year old guy is then you have to take into account that the guy will, on average, cover more miles in a short period of time than the average 18 year old girl.

I know a lot more guys who have wrote off / been involved in (usually caused) major road traffic accidents, in their teens and early twenties.

Either way, I think it's unfair to be critical of female drivers on the basis of their insurance premiums.

A fairer system would be to give everyone a small minimum and then anyone found to have caused an accident raise their premium through the roof. That would make people think a bit more before they go racing around the roads. Would probably go a good way to alleviating our road death problems also.

I will however agree with, colincarnate, I'm never comfortable when I see a girl trying to reverse a car into a space beside my car.

If you want to look at insurance discrepancies between the sexes look at life insurance, women on average live longer and are more likely to have higher medical expenses (due to living longer and not being too proud (read pig ignorant) to admit that they are unwell. Yet there is little or no discrepancies in the cost of life assurance premiums between the sexes. go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

read in paper this morning that eight people died over the weekend - all were MEN! the looney bus driver on the naas road was also a MAN!!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I would agree that on my observation alone, women do seem to have more accidents (fender benders etc). Both my girlfriend and my mother have damaged my car while driving it. I would say a lot more of my female friends have had accidents than male. It beggards belief that the statistics show that male drivers are soooo much more of a risk.

I think that on whole men are riskier drivers, but would credit them with the edge when it comes to technical driving ability. This is a generalisation and the opposite is true in a lot of cases. Women on the other hand are smarter, safer drivers. Its subjective whick one you think makes a 'better' driver. I may get attacked by the PC thugs but I feel that is the reality as I see it. It has been scientifically proven that men are better at percieving spacial relations then women. Women are stronger in other areas. (Hence my girlfriend asking 'which way to turn the wheel' while reversing, something I had never even thought about).

While there are a lot of excellent female drivers around, go into town any day of the week and spot the cars having difficulty parallel parking etc, the vast majority are women. On the other hand if you are driving on a major road and see a car dangerously overtaking, more often then not a man is at the wheel.

On the insurance thing, I pay more becuase I'm in a riskier category fair enough. How come when I go for health insurance I am SUBSIDISING the elderly!!! Looks to me like we are getting screwed both ways. If we pay more for car insurance then people who are more likely to suffer ill health should pay higher health insurance premiums!

Grimlock wrote:
    Because and 18 year old girl will, on average, only be involved in minor scrapes, as listed above fender benders in car parks etc. small accidents that for the most part insurance companies never hear about and never have to pay out on.
    Also, again as pointed out above, even IF an 18 is equally liable to be involved in the same number of crashes over a certain amount of miles as a 25 year old guy is then you have to take into account that the guy will, on average, cover more miles in a short period of time than the average 18 year old girl.

I know a lot more guys who have wrote off / been involved in (usually caused) major road traffic accidents, in their teens and early twenties.

Either way, I think it's unfair to be critical of female drivers on the basis of their insurance premiums.

A fairer system would be to give everyone a small minimum and then anyone found to have caused an accident raise their premium through the roof. That would make people think a bit more before they go racing around the roads. Would probably go a good way to alleviating our road death problems also.

I will however agree with, colincarnate, I'm never comfortable when I see a girl trying to reverse a car into a space beside my car.

If you want to look at insurance discrepancies between the sexes look at life insurance, women on average live longer and are more likely to have higher medical expenses (due to living longer and not being too proud (read pig ignorant) to admit that they are unwell. Yet there is little or no discrepancies in the cost of life assurance premiums between the sexes. go figure.

I think it's just insurance companies stereotyping.

Out of all the fellas i know around their 20's who drive cars, maybe about 2 of them are boy racers. The rest all drive things like polo's and stuff. I also know a couple of girl boy racers (;-D) and they are just as bad. So i think that picking a small percentage of assholes and then painting everyone in that age range with the same brush is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

sandyg wrote:
    read in paper this morning that eight people died over the weekend - all were MEN! the looney bus driver on the naas road was also a MAN!!:D :D
    Apart from the woman run over by the looney man :rolleyes:
    And just cos they dies mean they were involved in the accident, doesn't mean that the drivers where the one killed.
    If you are looking at road death figure as an indicator between the sexes men on average put up more miles, all driving as an occupation are pretty much male dominated industries, bus, lorry, taxi, parcel delivery etc.
    So more time on the road mean greater chance of being involved in an accident.

Also bikers account for a large number of deaths and again most bikers are males.

Grimlock wrote:
    Apart from the woman run over by the looney man :rolleyes:
    And just cos they dies mean they were involved in the accident, doesn't mean that the drivers where the one killed.
    If you are looking at road death figure as an indicator between the sexes men on average put up more miles, all driving as an occupation are pretty much male dominated industries, bus, lorry, taxi, parcel delivery etc.
    So more time on the road mean greater chance of being involved in an accident.

Also bikers account for a large number of deaths and again most bikers are males.

They should ban men from driving. Apart from me. i'll give ye's all lifts if you need.

BAD WOMEN DRIVERS ARE THOSE WHO DRIVE LIKE THE MEN!

:D

Epicpriest wrote:
    I think it's just insurance companies stereotyping..

Why of course it is.
    Insurance companies don't base their decisions on profit, they just make stuff up by stereotyping

• Advertisement

Women from my experience are unable to forsee things like:

a) The fact the traffic lights will turn green now that the other cars have stopped
    b) That truck in front is only doing 20mph so pulling into the overtaking lane is a good idea
    c) The person in the merging lane is going to want to merge
    d) The person trying to change lanes would like to be shown the courtesy to be allowed to do so.
    e) Some people view their cars as more than appliances and are entitled to do so.

Advertisement