Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women crashing their cars

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Epicpriest wrote:
    I think it's just insurance companies stereotyping.

Out of all the fellas i know around their 20's who drive cars, maybe about 2 of them are boy racers. The rest all drive things like polo's and stuff. I also know a couple of girl boy racers (;-D) and they are just as bad. So i think that picking a small percentage of assholes and then painting everyone in that age range with the same brush is terrible.

Don't be so myopic. Insurance companies work with figures, and they base it on what they have to pay out each year.
    That's why a 20 year old from Louth pays a higher premium than a 20 year old male from Roscommon. Are the insurance companies picking on Louth people? No, they are looking at facts and past indicators. 4 of the 5 most dangerous roads in the country run throgh Louth, therefore the chances of the individual being involved in an accident are greater than the Roscommon male, as such the Louth male will ahave a higher premium.

The fact IS that males (young males) on average are more likely to be involved in a SERIOUS road accident, as such they have a higher premium.

maidhc wrote:
    Women from my experience are unable to forsee things like:

a) The fact the traffic lights will turn green now that the other cars have stopped
    b) That truck in front is only doing 20mph so pulling into the overtaking lane is a good idea
    c) The person in the merging lane is going to want to merge
    d) The person trying to change lanes would like to be shown the courtesy to be allowed to do so.
    e) Some people view their cars as more than appliances and are entitled to do so.

:D Very true but very few of these traits will cause a major accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ahh ... i believe a far higher percentage of women on the roads are incompetant drivers than men.

1. They always talk while driving .. they just can't stay quiet for 5 minutes
    2. Have you ever seen a man applying makeup while driving ?
    3. Their more interested in how the car looks, rather than, if the tires are bald or are the brakes working etc... I've seen so many with completely bald tires or sparks coming off the brake disks, or they get upset with the engine blows up because they didn't check the oil in 2 years .. and the response... oh i wouldn't do that, thats a mechanics job

ITS ON THE DRIVING TEST .. DONT GIMMIE THAT CRAP

Thats me done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

The fact IS that males (young males) on average are more likely to be involved in a SERIOUS road accident, as such they have a higher premium.
    Don't you think that the term male is a bit of a broadranging category that suits no-one barring the insurance companies? Its may be true that many more males cause fatal accidents but apart from their genitalia hanging outside instead of in, I would imagine I have nothing in common with most of them.

So why - despite driving nearly 10 years without a speeding ticket or an accident - do I still get penalised because of some other muppets have a d1ck??

Put it this way - if I were to claim that all men are better employees because, on average, they earn more than women I would be hailed as an idiot. You would rightly point out that there are external factors to be taken into account and people would actually CARE if I discriminated against women based on this "FACT".... why so don't they give a fcuk about your average male scapegoat when he gets discriminated against??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

maidhc wrote:
    I am proud to be a bigoted chauvinist
    yup, me too! aren't we great?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Beruthiel wrote:

Get over it. This is the motors forum, not the "personal issues" one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

Boggle wrote:
    Don't you think that the term male is a bit of a broadranging category that suits no-one barring the insurance companies? Its may be true that many more males cause fatal accidents but apart from their genitalia hanging outside instead of in, I would imagine I have nothing in common with most of them.

So why - despite driving nearly 10 years without a speeding ticket or an accident - do I still get penalised because of some other muppets have a d1ck??

Put it this way - if I were to claim that all men are better employees because, on average, they earn more than women I would be hailed as an idiot. You would rightly point out that there are external factors to be taken into account and people would actually CARE if I discriminated against women based on this "FACT".... why so don't they give a fcuk about your average male scapegoat when he gets discriminated against??

I think you should be interviewed or something before getting insured.

I am 25 and have a pretty good job, i have no intention of driving fast. When i have passengers i care for their well being and try to make the trip as smooth as possible. I don't race artound in a car worth 80 euros with an exhaust worth 300. I have a nice car that i'm proud of and i take care of it.

I don't discriminate against women because i love them =)

I'm just saying that each person should be quoted individually without taking other idiots into the equation

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Ahh ... i believe a far higher percentage of women on the roads are incompetant drivers than men.

1. They always talk while driving .. they just can't stay quiet for 5 minutes
    So all men are the string silent tyoe in the car. And what about talking on the mobile phone......
    2. Have you ever seen a man applying makeup while driving ?
    Have you ever seen a woman shaving while driving :rolleyes:
    3. Their more interested in how the car looks, rather than, if the tires are bald or are the brakes working etc... I've seen so many with completely bald tires or sparks coming off the brake disks, or they get upset with the engine blows up because they didn't check the oil in 2 years .. and the response... oh i wouldn't do that, thats a mechanics job

It takes a bit of education NOT for anyone to be told how stupid are you cos you can't recognise x,y and z. I did my driving test five years ago and was never asked any of that! When I started driving my parents wouldn't let me take the car out until I could change a tyre by myself. I know how to fill petrol, check oil, water, the distilled water in the battery and brake fluid. The brake pads get checked every 12mths by the mechanic (more often if I think there is something wrong). Bald tyres I had to recently be shown how to check them... but I know now what to look for.

I'm not afraid to ask but God help the man who ridicules me for asking!!

As for how a car looks.... HA! you haven't seen my 'tip on wheels'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

maidhc wrote:
    Get over it. This is the motors forum, not the "personal issues" one.

Get over what exactly?
    The fact that you see a few women make mistakes and tar us all with the one brush? I don't think I will, you don't know every female in this country, you have nothing to base your slanted comments on.
    Might I suggest that you get over yourself.

and what has PI got to do with anything? Are you suggesting that I don't post outside that forum? :rolleyes:
    Did I touch one of your sensitive male nerves?

This site has a large ratio of men to women, I have every right to point out what I see as nothing more than male ego boosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rogueish wrote:
    No, but I live in hope :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

To be fair to the women, I have 3 sisters who are fully licensed drivers and have never been involved in accidents, yet I have wrote off a car and a van and badly damaged a second car (belonging to one of my sisters :( ). About the van accident.....I was driving along happily when this women suddenly.....:rolleyes:

Beruthiel wrote:
    Get over what exactly?
    The fact that you see a few women make mistakes and tar us all with the one brush? I don't think I will, you don't know every female in this country, you have nothing to base your slanted comments on.
    Might I suggest that you get over yourself.

I merely base my observations on what I see. While women undoubtedly are involved in less *serious* accidents, they tend to be involved in more accidents and shunts. I think this is an accepted fact by most people who have posted here.

To say women are bad at something isn't being a bigoted chauvinist, it is an opinion. I said they are bad at certain aspects of driving, that is my opinion based on my observations. You may not agree, and you are well entitled to do so, but it still doesn't make me a bigot.
    Beruthiel wrote:
    This site has a large ratio of men to women, I have every right to point out what I see as nothing more than male ego boosting.

You have a right to say or post whatsoever you choose (although calling me a bigot strays into the definition of defamation). However the fact remains some people have an opinion women are worse drivers and they are entitled to that without getting a reprimand because it somehow upsets you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Rogueish wrote:
    So all men are the string silent tyoe in the car. And what about talking on the mobile phone......

It takes a bit of education NOT for anyone to be told how stupid are you cos you can't recognise x,y and z. I did my driving test five years ago and was never asked any of that! When I started driving my parents wouldn't let me take the car out until I could change a tyre by myself. I know how to fill petrol, check oil, water, the distilled water in the battery and brake fluid. The brake pads get checked every 12mths by the mechanic (more often if I think there is something wrong). Bald tyres I had to recently be shown how to check them... but I know now what to look for.

I'm not afraid to ask but God help the man who ridicules me for asking!!

As for how a car looks.... HA! you haven't seen my 'tip on wheels'

Actually i have seen a woman shaving while driving .......

And eh .. yes .. i would tell anyone to f*ck off and rtfm as i did .. get a haynes manual.

Get this one:
    http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=11629&langId=-1

Beruthiel wrote:
    The fact that you see a few women make mistakes and tar us all with the one brush?
    But apparently its acceptable to tar all males as dangerous because of the mistakes of a few... ???

Boggle wrote:

I'm not making excuses for insurance companies, I like you have never had so much as a speeding ticket or a scratch, but I'm still penalised for the actions of others, I don't think it's fair.

As I said earlier:
    A fairer system would be to give everyone a small premium and then anyone found to have caused an accident raise their premium through the roof. That would make people think a bit more before they go racing around the roads. Would probably go a good way to alleviating our road death problems also.

Also rewarding those who drive accdient free.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Grimlock wrote:
    A fairer system would be to give everyone a small premium and then anyone found to have caused an accident raise their premium through the roof. That would make people think a bit more before they go racing around the roads. Would probably go a good way to alleviating our road death problems also.

I've always thought that that would be much fairer system too. In the current system, you're "guilty until proven innocent", and start off with a massive premium which you have to work on to reduce over the years. Why not start off with the assumption that you're a good, careful driver, with affordable premiums, and then if you do make a claim that is your own fault, push the premium up sky high. Also allow a much higher number of years claim-free driving to contribute to your no-claims bonus instead of peaking at five like at the moment.

I would agree grimlock. Trouble is I don't see it happening.

Currently, most males REQUIRE a car as most have to drive to work. Pub trans is not an option. The insurance companies know this and take advantage of the wreckless male sub-culture to penalise all blokes. They could present a much more detailed analysis, breaking it down into much more than black or white (with males being blacklisted) but as the catchment group is so much bigger when all men are grouped together they prefer not to.

What makes it easier is that nobody cares when young men are penalised... penalise a woman unjustly and see how long it takes to get condemned!!

Boggle wrote:
    What makes it easier is that nobody cares when young men are penalised... penalise a woman unjustly and see how long it takes to get condemned!!

:)

I think though insurance has become much more reasonable in recent years. Although between my insurance and that of my female friends there is a difference, it is only a couple of hundred, rather than the couple of thousand it once could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was going to not bother my ass replying to this cos it's the same old ****e that gets posted every other week, but I feel a bout of tourettes coming on..
    The stats show clearly that men are more likely to crash that women

No they do not. Are you blind or just ****ing stupid? How many people in this very thread stated the complete opposite, even before you posted? The stats do not show men are more likely to crash - women have far more accidents and far more insurance claims than men. Most insurance companies even believe that the disparity is larger than the stats reveal, because most are of such a minor nature that they go unreported. Women are 10 times more likely to hit a stationary object than men. It's not ****ing chauvinism - it's a biological fact. Out brains work differentely.

I posted a long topic moaning about this years ago and what's changed? Nothing. I won't even use an exclamation point cos I'm not ****ing surprised. You can tell people 'till you're blue in the face and they'll still think women are better drivers because they pay lower insurance premiums. People are too ****ing stupid to listen to anything that doesn't concur with their preconceived notions about the world.

There has been a lobby group about this around for years, and what have they achieved? Insurance companies still make more profit off young male drivers than anyone else. Do you think they're going to redress the balance? You'd think the goverment would get a photo op by doing something about it but what do they care - people will vote the same useless ***** in anyway.

Well said Blitzkrieger... Actually wrote a letter to the EU equality thingy years ago and it was to be addressed but the bill was dropped due to pressure from vested interests.

Unfortunately, as long as blokes only passively complain and do not have the interest or energy to effectively turn dublin into a car-park then nothing will be done to rectify the situation. (Unless someone can afford a good solicitor to sue the planks!!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Grimlock wrote:
    I'm not making excuses for insurance companies, I like you have never had so much as a speeding ticket or a scratch, but I'm still penalised for the actions of others, I don't think it's fair.

As I said earlier:

That would indeed be the best solution but the problem is Insurance companies make a whopping 200Million Euro profit odd a year!! Now if that is not a good excuse to get premiums down then I don't know what is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

The bulk of the responses here are no surprise as it is after all a male dominated motoring (macho) forum.

It would be like a rangers fan applauding his team's winning in a Celtic crowd.

Gets the rest of the male population a bad name. :(

Heinrich wrote:
    The bulk of the responses here are no surprise as it is after all a male dominated motoring (macho) forum.
    Tell you what: Why not discuss the topic instead of putting down all blokes?? If I have said something you disagree with, please say so and why so that I can defend my case.

I'd much rather that than someone just throwing general statements that tar all members of a board as being macho - just because they are male....

Boggle wrote:
    Tell you what: Why not discuss the topic instead of putting down all blokes?? If I have said something you disagree with, please say so and why so that I can defend my case.

I'd much rather that than someone just throwing general statements that tar all members of a board as being macho - just because they are male....

Could I venture to use the gem under as an example?

Currently, most males REQUIRE a car as most have to drive to work. Pub trans is not an option. The insurance companies know this and take advantage of the wreckless male sub-culture to penalise all blokes. They could present a much more detailed analysis, breaking it down into much more than black or white (with males being blacklisted) but as the catchment group is so much bigger when all men are grouped together they prefer not to.
    1. There are many women who need a car to drive to work.
    2. There are many men who could easily use public transport to go to work.
    3. The insurance companies do have no claims bonuses.

Heinrich wrote:

All true, and meritorious statements, but where did you address:
    They could present a much more detailed analysis, breaking it down into much more than black or white (with males being blacklisted) but as the catchment group is so much bigger when all men are grouped together they prefer not to.

A male with a full NCB still pays more than a female, although thankfully it isnt as much as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This board is hillarious it should be called "lets generalize and make sweeping statements"

Who cares who crashes more, everyone has a bump at some point and if people put as much effort into paying attention on the roads as they have in this post, then we'd all have safer drivers. The men vs women driving argument has and will go on for years and it breaks down to this....

Women want a car to get from a to b, if it gets a bang, who cares, they can still drive.

Men want a car to look good, attract attention and get from a to b in 5 seconds... if it gets a bang, they flip out because their image is at risk so they get it fixed asap.

In doing this, more cars are reported damaged by men and because they're flashy cars they're expensive to repair and insurance goes up!

But just remember, 90% of statistics are made up so I'm probably talking bo**ox! As are the rest of you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

It's ALL men, not just yound men.

My Dad is 54, he pays more insurance then my 25 year old girlfriend, and he has never made a claim in his life. He is with the same insirance company as her.

Heinrich wrote:
    1: Didn't say they didn't. The point being most men (women too if you need me to co-gender every statement!!) need cars.
    2: If your lucky enough to live in dublin, on a decent pub trans route that gets you to work. And if your not a tradesman.
    3: Does this make it not discrimination?
    maidhc wrote:
    All true, and meritorious statements, but where did you address:
    Thanks maidhc!
    steve06 wrote:
    The men vs women driving argument has and will go on for years and it breaks down to this....
    I think the point should be that drivers should be judged on more than what sex they are or not at all.
    Women want a car to get from a to b, if it gets a bang, who cares, they can still drive.
    I know plenty of women who care more than a bit about their car.
    Men want a car to look good, attract attention and get from a to b in 5 seconds... if it gets a bang, they flip out because their image is at risk so they get it fixed asap.
    I know lotsa lads who can't afford to give a toss what their car looks like.

steve06 wrote:
    This board is hillarious it should be called "lets generalize and make sweeping statements"

Who cares who crashes more, everyone has a bump at some point and if people put as much effort into paying attention on the roads as they have in this post, then we'd all have safer drivers. The men vs women driving argument has and will go on for years and it breaks down to this....

In doing this, more cars are reported damaged by men and because they're flashy cars they're expensive to repair and insurance goes up!

But just remember, 90% of statistics are made up so I'm probably talking bo**ox! As are the rest of you!!!

Now that is talking sense! Bravo.
    :):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

steve06 wrote:

Is this not a generalised and sweeping statement:confused:

Advertisement