Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women crashing their cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Heinrich wrote:
    Now that is talking sense! Bravo.
    :):):):):)

I was under the impression that Steve was being ironic given that the opening line of his post expressed amusement at the generalistions in many posts, and then the rest of his post consisted purely of that???

Maybe I was wrong though and he just didn't see the contradiction? You obviously didn't ;)

[EDIT]dang it Carb! beat me to it[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

DamoKen wrote:
    I was under the impression that Steve was being ironic given that the opening line of his post expressed amusement at the generalistions in many posts, and then the rest of his post consisted purely of that???

Maybe I was wrong though and he just didn't see the contradiction? You obviously didn't ;)

[EDIT]dang it Carb! beat me to it[/EDIT]

Sorry if the smilies did not give MY irony away. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Heinrich wrote:
    Sorry if the smilies did not give MY irony away. :cool:

ZING!! good comeback there :rolleyes:

DamoKen wrote:
    ZING!! good comeback there :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't go anywhere...:D

... like this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Heinrich wrote:
    Could I venture to use the gem under as an example?

Currently, most males REQUIRE a car as most have to drive to work. Pub trans is not an option. The insurance companies know this and take advantage of the wreckless male sub-culture to penalise all blokes. They could present a much more detailed analysis, breaking it down into much more than black or white (with males being blacklisted) but as the catchment group is so much bigger when all men are grouped together they prefer not to.
    1. There are many women who need a car to drive to work.
    2. There are many men who could easily use public transport to go to work.
    3. The insurance companies do have no claims bonuses.

The argument that was been made, was that insurance companies know you've no choice but to pay their premiums. I assume he referred to males as the previous posts were all dscussing male premiums. There was hardly much point complaining that all women get grouped together and have to pay higher premiums as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Heinrich wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't go anywhere...

... like this thread
    just to get it going so... Do you Heinrich believe that I should pay more in car insurance than a woman with an equivalent record?

Boggle wrote:
    just to get it going so... Do you Heinrich believe that I should pay more in car insurance than a woman with an equivalent record?

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Okay. It's this simple. Men are better drivers. But are more dangerous. It's because: Men are more confident, leading to them drive faster. Women are less confident, drive slower and are uncoordinated(compared to most men). But women are better cooks! Actually, no, most top chefs are probably male and better than women at that too :/

Men are better drivers. But are more dangerous.
    All men? Again, another blanket statement. Do you actually think that all men should be penalised for the few idiots who drive like loons? Or do you actually contend that we all drive like loons???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

lets be honest, does anyone really give a sh1t?

And I would have thought that after reading the opening line and closing line of my post you'd realize that everything in between those 2 lines was rubbish but it's fun to stirr it up.....

• Advertisement

Boggle wrote:
    ... do you actually contend that we all drive like loons???

not all of us, just those in BMW's... hehe now lets have a fight about it, all BMW drivers, defend yourselves!!! :D

steve06 wrote:
    not all of us, just those in BMW's... hehe now lets have a fight about it, all BMW drivers, defend yourselves!!! :D

Q: What is the difference between a hedgehog and a BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

steve06 wrote:

Border midland and western regions? Ah be nice to our brethern from the wild west!

Heinrich wrote:
    Q: What is the difference between a hedgehog and a BMW?

a hedghog has the pricks on the outside..... ouch!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ah yes but the thing is the insurance companies do also weight up the cost of crashes.
    Some women may have bumps and knocks but over all the lost of these are
    a lot less then the cost of the crashes men are in.
    A collision caused by an absent minded person (who tend to be female) is a lot less costly then a collision causes by a speeding person (who tend to be male).
    These are the stat the insurance industry are working from.

steve06 wrote:
    a hedghog has the pricks on the outside..... ouch!!!! :D
    ;):D

These are the stat the insurance industry are working from.
    Don't you mean these are the stats they CHOOSE to work from?
    A collision caused by an absent minded person (who tend to be female) is a lot less costly then a collision causes by a speeding person (who tend to be male).
    "Male" covers an awful broad spectrum of people. Not all men are the same so why do we all have to be lumped in the same category? (2 hints: more & profit!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thread didn't go exactly as I'd intended, TBH it's going around it circles :)

I try to look at these things objectively and without prejudice. I know for a fact that my female friends/relations have had many more crashes in the past 5 years than male friends/relations. That's not chauvinism, that's stating fact. People can take from this what they want. I haven't done a statistical analysis on the numbers but the difference between men and women in terms of number of crashes looks like it could be significant.

Here comes another stereotype but this is what i see: intelligent, professional women with good jobs who are competent at everything they do apart from driving and I'd be afraid to get into the car with most of them. Then there's the men I know who are also intelligent, competent etc. and seem to be far safer drivers. The women seem to have many crashes involving material damage, the men seems to have very very few crashes of any type.

BUT the reputation of these "intelligent" males gets offset by a small number of stupid, scumbag, idiot males who happen to be the same age but go out on a saturday night and cause carnage with crashes involving multiple fatalities therefore skewing the statistics and all males of a certain age come out looking bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well then Like Lady Brus said do something about it.
    Lobby, write letters, protest, complain to your TD the equal rights commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

My brothers girlfriend works in an insurance company. The staff there are mostly female (about 85%). One day she came out to the company car park to find that there was a small scrape on her car. There was some blue paint from the other car left on her car so she decided to have a look for a matching scrape on any blue car in the car park. To her amazement, almost every car in the car park had small knocks on them, many 3 or 4, all looking like the result of driving into stationery objects at slow speed. There was one particular girl there who parks her car by backing until she touches off the wall!

Now my brother's girlfriend is into her cars, and is a good driver, after that incident she has never parked there again so she parks across the road in another car park that an engineering company own but there is always free spaces in. Turns out that almost all the guys working in the company park in the engineering companies car park too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can I say this thread has been a delight, the Top Gear office could'nt do better.

However Blitzkrieger gets a weeks ban for personal abuse.
    Are you blind or just ****ing stupid

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Two points to make

1. Girlfriend used to work for Hibernian and all staff there get a full no claims bonus i.e. 50% off just for working there!!! regardless of how long they have been driving.

2. I got a quote on my friends car she's 27, provisional for 2 years and 2 years NCB she was quoted 270. I'm 31 full licence for 6 years and 6 years NCB I was quoted 450. It was only a 1 litre and I just got a quote myself for comparison reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Not quite sure the point of this thread.

It seems to be saying that when women crash their car they are far less likely to kill anyone or themselves. And this is some how a bad thing.

:rolleyes:

Wicknight wrote:
    Not quite sure the point of this thread.

It seems to be saying that when women crash their car they are far less likely to kill anyone or themselves. And this is some how a bad thing.

:rolleyes:

I think the point (if there is any) is that there is a large percentage of females have a lot of minor crashes, a small percentage of males have very serious crashes, but because of the generalisation that insurance companies use (the sex of the person) the large percentage of innocent males are getting shafted and are pissed off about it. The great pity is that no one will do anything about it, us Irish are so lazy when it comes to protesting about anything like this. If this was in France, there would be riots!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Epicpriest wrote:
    It's ALL men, not just yound men.

My Dad is 54, he pays more insurance then my 25 year old girlfriend, and he has never made a claim in his life. He is with the same insirance company as her.

Nothing to do with your dad driving a Merc and your gf driving a micra?

I know of men in their 40s paying next to nothing for insurance on 1.6l cars. Far as I can tell it seems to level off after about 4 years NCB and full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think the point (if there is any) is that there is a large percentage of females have a lot of minor crashes, a small percentage of males have very serious crashes, but because of the generalisation that insurance companies use (the sex of the person) the large percentage of innocent males are getting shafted and are pissed off about it. The great pity is that no one will do anything about it, us Irish are so lazy when it comes to protesting about anything like this. If this was in France, there would be riots!

They certainly seem pissed off. But the logic they are using is a bit wack.

Women have minor accidents, more so than men. They are still safer drivers though, in general. I define safer as in "not causing injury or death" when they do crash. And really thats all I care about. I don't care if every woman on the road has scrapped their paint work so long as they haven't killed anyone (same goes for the men).

The biggest problem I see with men drivers (and yes I'm a guy) I know is that they all think they are great, or at least above average, drivers. As such the are much more likely to take unnecessary risks on the road, like speeding or aggressive driving. You don't seem to get that as much with women, at least in my experience, and the statistics would seem to back that up.

Maybe all the little crashes constantly remind women that they are driving a 2 ton killing machine so they are more careful about attention and speeding. You have to look at what causes serious accidents, and it isn't the same thing that causes minor scraps. Women may scrap their cars when they are parraell parking, but they don't speed down the M50 at 120 miles an hour weaving between cars (in general). Maybe it would be a good thing if more men had minor scraps rather than plowing into an on coming truck when they do crash their cars.

BTW I don't agree with the insurance companies attitude towards male drivers, but not because the statistics are wrong. If women cost the companies more money you can bet your botton dollar that women would be paying higher rates than men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well the way I see it if fairly simple but yet there are a few points here.

Women's crashes don’t tend to cost as much. When a woman reaches 30/35+ they still tend to stick with a Golf, Polo, Micra, Punto etc... When a man reaches the same age we tend to go for a BMW/Merc/A8. Now that said women are starting to get into the game these days and go for those cars as well but averaging out men tend to drive a lot more expensive cars than women and as such any damage resulting from a crash does cost a hell of a lot more. Bumper for a Punto = €200 Bumper for a Merc = €1000.

Women do have more minor crashes, scrapes here and there but in general these do not get reported to the insurance co. When a man does some damage usually we do some serious damage resulting in a claim hence more money splashed out on us, hence higher premiums.

Insurance co's do however take advantage and unfairly jack premiums. I'm 27 and driving a 2lt Turbo for €600 a year. Yes that’s not a lot but I do have rally, and single seater race licenses and experience which drops my premium significantly. However, my mother in the past 3 years has had two big crashes in her punto which resulted in fairly sizeable claims yes still only pays €220. When I questioned this, we are with the same insurance, I was told I'm a higher risk category, this despite the fact that I’ve 9 years claim free driving coupled with my driving qualifications against her record. So yes its unfair and discriminatory.

Going back to a point raised earlier where one guy said he felt a woman was on the verge of crash at any time he was in the car with them. I can sort of see the point here but I wouldn’t put it so bluntly myself. When my mother or gf is driving just watching them both I always get the feeling that actually driving the car is about 3rd of 4th in their list of priorities. Talking and the radio comes out tops. Most times my gf will sit in 4th gear at 4k revs oblivious to the fact that the engine is about to explode all because she has totally forgotten about gears as she is talking! My mother is the very same. When I’m driving sometimes I’m concentrating and she gets really annoyed that I’m not being overly chatty!!! That’s the big difference.

Wicknight wrote:
    BTW I don't agree with the insurance companies attitude towards male drivers, but not because the statistics are wrong. If women cost the companies more money you can bet your botton dollar that women would be paying higher rates than men.

I think everyone would agree that the statistics aren't wrong. Its the way that they are applied thats unfair. Just splitting the public into 2 groups, male and female, where the many males get punished for the sins of the few is whats wrong.
    It seams that even if a male driver proves themselves to be safe by achiving a full NCB they are still penalised simply for being male.
    Doesn't it piss you off that you are paying an inflated insurance primium just based on your sex?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well the "minor" crashes I'm talking about are more than just parking scrapes. I'm talking about crashes which involve thousands of euros worth of damage. A common one is a rear end shunt at about 20-25 mph, not really enough to cause serious injury but enough to do a lot of damage to the vehicles. People may say they don't care if women are having a lot of these crashes as long as they're not killing people. This makes some sense however wait till someone runs into the back of your car and writes it off and see how much hassle you go through as a result. Hasn't happened to me yet thankfully.

Also, a regular occurence in places I've worked is women not showing up for work because they've crashed their car on the way. I find that the women usually get a lot of sympathy from their work colleagues when this happens. Whereas on the few occasions that a male has not turned up due to a (minor) crash there was scoffing and comments about "stupid young lads driving too fast".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

where the many males get punished for the sins of the few is whats wrong.
    QUOTE]

Isnt what your doing the same thing? Punishing all women for the sins of the few?

I like to think Im a competent female driver, and havent had so much as a scratch in my four years of driving (Im 23). But I will admit that I have been in cars with female friends where I feel quite nervous. I think the main problem is not anticipating what is ahead and reading the road. However the same might be said about a lot of young men in cars-and the problem is that if they are speeding or showing off at the same time its a pretty dangerous combination

Advertisement