Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women crashing their cars

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

BrianD3 wrote:
    find that the women usually get a lot of sympathy from their work colleagues when this happens.

A friend of mine flipped her car on a hump back bridge. She said "she didn't know how it happened, and she wasn't going fast": a complete lie. Of course everyone was all about her and more or less blamed Nissan for building dangerous cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

smurfbaby wrote:
    where the many males get punished for the sins of the few is whats wrong.
    QUOTE]

Isnt what your doing the same thing? Punishing all women for the sins of the few?

I'm not punishing anybody for anything. All I'm concerned about is that the majority of male drivers who are safe drivers are being lumped in with a few very dangerous drivers. How whould you like it if the shoe was on the other foot, if you were peing punished for your female friends bad driving?
    The problem is that there doesn't really seam to be another way of easily dividing the public other than based on sex. But really when someone builds up a full NCB shouln't sex be irrelevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭klash

Wheres the PC bolt of lightning that immediately strikes down all men in these conversations ?

Anyways my experiences.

1. Women are much (much much) safer, cautious drivers then men. This doesn't mean that they're actually any good at driving.

2. Men are risk takers, have no patience whatsoever BUT generally have a better idea of whats going on around them then women drivers. e.g > Overtaking, lanes merging etc.

E.g ->
    Icy Road + Girlfriend + me saying "You want to be really careful this morning" = her "I'm a better driver then you, i love snow!".

Icy Road + Girlfriend = She driving 2 minutes down the road, IGNORES me telling her NOT to slam the break under any circumstances and nearly skidding into a wall.

Result = Me having to drive the rest of the way instead of her with no insurance. (Don't comment PC'ers)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A friend of mine flipped her car on a hump back bridge. She said "she didn't know how it happened, and she wasn't going fast": a complete lie. Of course everyone was all about her and more or less blamed Nissan for building dangerous cars!
    LOL reminds me of what was said after some people (OK women :)) ran into the back of other cars in wet conditions. The excuse used was that there "must have been oil on the road" and the county council was being blamed for not laying down oil absobent. Now anyone who knows anything about driving knows that there is always traces of oil on every road and yes this can accentuate a lack of grip in wet conditions. But it's just a normal part of driving and its up to the driver to take account of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I think everyone would agree that the statistics aren't wrong.
    They're not basing their premiums on stats, they're basing them on cost of claims and then they are supposedly adjusting the quotes of each group to compensate the higher claims from males. Should these stats be truly applied correctly then ins companies would be making no different level of profit from males as females...
    The figures showed that the highest surplus per motor policy that year was reported for young male provisional licence holders aged between 17 and 20 years.
    from http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/01/08/story10809.asp

This doesn't include the profit generated by placing their larger premiums on the stockmarket.

Wake up and smell the coffee boys - ins is a profit game, so don't be so naive as to believe they are giving you all the facts...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 RossMahon

There all equal in crashing cars,we are all equal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

"A friend of mine flipped her car on a hump back bridge. She said "she didn't know how it happened, and she wasn't going fast": a complete lie. Of course everyone was all about her and more or less blamed Nissan for building dangerous cars!"

Not quite the same, but the idea is similar:

Recently myself and my wife passed a Lady in a Micra, after being pulled for speeding between the M50 slip road and the Spawell roundabout.
    My wife says, "Poor girl, I'm sure thats all she needed in the rush hour evening traffic"
    I says "WTF, if that was a 20yo male, you'd be going on about Boy racers, and serves him right, etc."

Its all about perception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 RossMahon

Ah there all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm never sure what to make of these threads. Sure there are bad women drivers, but people seem to think it's all of us. That's like me saying all men are fast dangerous drivers. I'm not allowed to say that (I don't agree with that anyway, but for sake of argument), but somehow the reverse is perfectly acceptable? Double standard. Bad drivers are bad drivers, whether they have male bits or female bits.

I haven't been in any accidents, I don't make dozy maneouvers, I don't reverse into other cars (or anything else for that matter), and I don't dent my car at all. I have a good car and I love to drive, and I'm good at it. Don't tar us all with the same brush.

I've said before though that I don't think it's fair that insurance premiums are automatically higher if you're male, but I think the insurance would need to come down for men, rather than go up for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

smurfbaby wrote:
    where the many males get punished for the sins of the few is whats wrong.
    QUOTE]

Isnt what your doing the same thing? Punishing all women for the sins of the few?

I like to think Im a competent female driver, and havent had so much as a scratch in my four years of driving (Im 23). But I will admit that I have been in cars with female friends where I feel quite nervous. I think the main problem is not anticipating what is ahead and reading the road. However the same might be said about a lot of young men in cars-and the problem is that if they are speeding or showing off at the same time its a pretty dangerous combination

We're not punishing women! We're just saying give us cheaper insurance like they get! Nobody wants women to pay thousands of euros for insurance either, just make men pay less.

It's a tragedy that my dad of 54 pays more insurance without ever claiming in his life shouldhave to pay over 150 quid a year more for insurance then my 25 year old girlfriend. (With the same insurance company)

And to quote whoever stated that women don't drive fast or aggressivly, if someone makes a mistake or pulls onto the roundabout when my gf is on it, she drives towards them beeping her horn and and shouting at them, usually causin a stall on the roundabout =)

Also, we went to Meath the other day to collect my car, and i swear to you without a word of a lie, there were 3 big mistakes spotted by me on the way up, all made by women =(.

Most Notably on the Naas Duall carriageway exit, a woman in front didn't bother indicating and starting breaking hard to turn off with 2 cars behind her, almost causing a very big incident.

Minor scrapes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

koneko wrote:
    I've said before though that I don't think it's fair that insurance premiums are automatically higher if you're male, but I think the insurance would need to come down for men, rather than go up for women.

Completely agree. Its not that women have premiums that are too low, its that men's are too high. Taking this out on women drivers is all a bit silly, its just frustrating to see a female driver that is constatly involved in little tips but is still paying a lower premium than a claims-free male. The insurance companies have realised that they can get away with charging males higher premiums because of the complacency of the Irish male public, and the general acceptance that men are all dangerous drivers.

2 more things of note.

I know a girl who a couple of years ago was going out her usual back road home, she went over a small bridge that had a turn on it and flipped her car over through a ditch almost killing her boyfriend and completely writing off 99 car (couple of years ago) she is now driving a 06, and pays a few hundred euros for insurance on it.

The only other incident was when someone i know was driving home out another back road, and a women in a big car came straight through a stop sign on a cross road (person i know had the right of way, the woman should have yielded) and they ploughed into the side of her car unfortunately there was a fatality. Absolutely tragic.
    I can honestly say i don't know any fellas that anything like this has happened to.

Accidents probably do happen more for men, because there are probably more male drivers (or maybe men who need to drive more). There are more car crashes then motorboke crashes, for the simple reason that there are more cars then bikes. This says nothing however about percentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

The statistics do bear out the claim that women have more accidents than men as an average. What effects insurance costs are the statistics of
    1. milage:men do more. If a person has some probability of crashing in a year then if they double their milage they double that probability.
    2. Big crashes: Men have them and they cost lots, multiple ambulances, deaths write offs. Can run into the millions.

base2 wrote:
    The statistics do bear out the claim that women have more accidents than men as an average. What effects insurance costs are the statistics of
    1. milage:men do more. If a person has some probability of crashing in a year then if they double their milage they double that probability.
    2. Big crashes: Men have them and they cost lots, multiple ambulances, deaths write offs. Can run into the millions.

Yeah, because women don't have big crashes, they prefer smaller ones?

Point 1 indicates that men do more mileage on open roads.
    Point 2: Its difficult to have a big crash in a 30mph zone.
    As in women don't kill their passengers, men do.
    As in those few muppets who drive like loons or all men??

Funny how most girls will kill you for tarring all women with the same brush but when it comes to men its fine. Complete hypocrasy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

biko wrote:
    As in women don't kill their passengers, men do.

Isn't that a song by "Fiddy Cent"?

Or is that somethig to do with rappers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Funny how most girls will kill you for tarring all women with the same brush but when it comes to men its fine. Complete hypocrasy...

Thats what insurers do. Its tarring with the same brush. They just use statistics to measure how much tar to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only other incident was when someone i know was driving home out another back road, and a women in a big car came straight through a stop sign on a cross road (person i know had the right of way, the woman should have yielded) and they ploughed into the side of her car unfortunately there was a fatality. Absolutely tragic.

Was that on the Old Kilmeaden Road about 3/4 summers back?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Epicpriest

base2 wrote:
    Thats what insurers do. Its tarring with the same brush. They just use statistics to measure how much tar to use?

What makes me sick is that insurance thing on TV "Shiela's who insure their cars" they only insure women, now if thats not equal rights tarring i don't know what is. But it's not womens fault. It's all mens fualt for driving like crazy fools, all of them.... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Epicpriest wrote:
    What makes me sick is that insurance thing on TV "Shiela's who insure their cars" they only insure women, now if thats not equal rights tarring i don't know what is. But it's not womens fault. It's all mens fualt for driving like crazy fools, all of them.... not.
    If you are an insurer and you know that the testosteron filled young guy with a souped up Honda is more likely to crash big time/drink drive than his female counterpart, it does makes sense to raise his premium.

If you are angry about women getting better deals, stop moaning and look at the reason why companies give them better deals - they are safer, like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

biko wrote:
    If you are angry about women getting better deals, stop moaning and look at the reason why companies give them better deals - they are safer, like it or not.

Not true,
    They pose less risk of a high claim.

So its okay to openly discriminate, provided your the one getting the better deal?? Since when is insurance based on safety? The only difference between men and women is that there is an element of male society who drive like loons. That in no way implies that I, or anyone in my actual demographic will drive like a loon...

I'll give you the same example as I gave anyone else who contends that women are better just because their premiums are lower: Do the higher wages offered to men indicate that they are better workers than women? Could this be used as an excuse not to hire women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not true,
    They pose less risk of a high claim.

Quite, the insurance companies are'nt interested in safety per se, only the costs associated.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

biko wrote:
    If you are an insurer and you know that the testosteron filled young guy with a souped up Honda is more likely to crash big time/drink drive than his female counterpart, it does makes sense to raise his premium.

Here we go again. Just the kind of attitude that prompted this thread in the first place. It makes sense to raise the premium of the person you referred to, but it also makes sense to raise the premium for:

"The old biddy who cannot use her indicators, who drivers at 45mph notwithstanding whether she is on the m50 or going past the school, who parks by touch, who in her effort to make sure the "men" do not get into her lane ends up rear ending the car in front and who crashes her car by failing to stop at a stop sign because "she thought there was nothing coming""

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Boggle wrote:

Bingo....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,917 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mike65 wrote:
    Quite, the insurance companies are'nt interested in safety per se, only the costs associated.
    Not even that - what they're interested in is the difference between costs and what they can get away with charging.
    E.g. only two companies insure motorcyclists, therefore they can carve up the market between them with little competition and high premiums. Claim costs don't enter into it. If you have a newer, larger, more costly bike you will pay more (on the THIRD PARTY element) purely because you're likely to be able to afford more - not because you're more risky. Sub-125cc bikes have the most crashes but pay the least for insurance.

It's the same thing with male drivers especially young males. It's no coincidence that all the 'safety' ads funded by the IIF featured young male drivers. We know that not all of them are nutters (and I've seen plenty of middle-aged nutters, including females!) but if you generate enough negative PR then the inflated premiums don't look as bad in the public eye.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

BrianD3 wrote:
    I was just thinking how almost every female I know (with the exception of my mother) seems to crash their car on a regular basis. By regular I mean once every year or two, or sometimes more than once per year. They are invariably fairly minor crashes not involving injury or death but still result in thousands of quids worth of damage or written off cars. Often the crashes are their own fault sometimes another party is fully or partly to blame

Has anyone else noticed this pattern among the males and female they know.

My wife managed to "crash" tip all 3 cars in the house into each other within a week of arriving in the US,
    Then managed to almost write off one of those 3 a few weeks later, but did write off the boat that ran into her. Good job I gave her the "wreck" to drive until she got used to LHD cars.
    I beat our the damage with a hammer and drove it like that for the next few years, till it died. (Having no NCT can be handy, chassis was bent across 2" at the front).

But overall she has been pretty good in avoiding accidents.

My sister had her car written off while it was parked, by a drunk man.
    I have done a few 180 loops, on cloverleaves, but no damage.
    and a friend had her MB CL500 squished between an 18 wheeler and a Yukon recently.

Don't know who's better or worse.... cars are a lot cheaper than people.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Here's something I posted in another thread, I should have posted it here:
    I reckon there's an imbalance in the statistics which says that more men have crashes than women, this stat info is based on who the insurer of the car was and not who was driving at the time. I've been driving 20 years, in all that time I've had 2 accidents, both times the other driver was to blame as both times the other driver pulled out in front of me, both times the other driver was female, both times these women were driving under their husbands insurance. Statistically both of the claims were recorded as a claim on a mans insurance.

Advertisement