Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help/advice on a radio/tv course..

• 08-05-2006 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need some advice.Im currently hosting a music show as Gaeilge on a community radio station,with the view of eventually getting enough experience to maybe get into it full time (not necessarily as a presenter). But I think I need to "streamline" myself.

I have a European Studies degree (arts) with French and Irish (UL) (which would defo be handy, I'd say). I also have a post grad in technical communication from UL. Good writing skills as well as good interviewing and researching techniques would be good here. So, I at least have some techniques and study done which would delve into the media world.

However, do potential employers look for a journalism degree or a radio journalism qualification as well as online experience?If so, what would be a good one..?I'm not on for doing a "kiss me arse" course.I'm 29, so not getting any younger.

I feel I may have to work and do the media thing on the side,waiting for that "break"??? I do think maybe a radio or media production course could be helpful.

Regards

Barry :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RosieRo

Hiya Barry,

I'm in uni in North Wales and my uni offers a Radio Production and Communications degree. It sounds good.

Check out the web-site www.newi.ac.uk/en/coursesandfees/undergraduate/BScHonsRadioProductionandCommunication/

All the best,

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You should also think about applying for money under the Sound and Vision fund.

You'll be able to get funding to do a series of programmes on the community station you are currently working with.

You've just missed this round of funding, but there will be more later in the year.

More info here:

http://www.bci.ie/gaeilge/broadcast_funding_scheme/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I don't know if they have a website but Ballyfermot College of Further Education in Dublin is meant to be excellent for media/communication related courses. I do a wee bit of college radio and we've had a couple of RTE people in talking to us and they'd all been there, said it was really hands on and reckoned about half the people in RTE had done some course or another there.

I did the Ballyfermot course for a bit myself.. it was terrible..

But that was 10 years ago...

It would want to have changed a hell of a lot to be any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

coláiste dulaigh in coolock, dublin, offers a media course which covers this stuff i believe.

• Advertisement

coláiste dulaigh in coolock, dublin, offers a media course which covers this stuff i believe.
    Ha.. yes.. I work for Colasite Dulaigh... so I won't comment on this one.. ha...

Advertisement