Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry

Options
  • 08-05-2006 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

I'm not really what to do about learning the poems, my teacher says we should learn them all off by heart, but imo they're way too long! others were saying to learn off important quotes, whats everyone here doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i know about 5/6 quotes for each poetm, but im nopt fussed about it really.
    good references are valid enough my teacher says :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

There's no way you can learn off the whole poem, that's ridiculous.

Just learn the important quotes that can back up your answer to any question. I know this is broad, but try pick the strongest images, or the sentences that show the style of the poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

qz wrote:
    There's no way you can learn off the whole poem, that's ridiculous.
    Especially if you;lre studying Eliot =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

^ prufrock all the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I find it useful to learn one or two poems off by each poet so I can get really in-depth on them. I wouldn't go mad and learn all the poems off but learning Pruckrock certainly did me no harm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if your a defensive and weak minded person and are constantly panicking and worrying about stupid stuff, learn them off for peace of mind.

if your attacking, confident and creative with a strong attitude, dont learn anything off but just know the moral of the poem.

no2. gets an A, no.1 gets a B imo. by learning off a poem, you're learning off other peoples work to beef up your own. if you're an attacking student, you'll give your answer whilst refering to the poem (not necessarily by quotes) to backup your points.

Finito. that's the marking scheme in my own unique words. don't you understand that better than the way teachers put it? i rest my case :cool: your welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭whassupp

with regards poets, i've prepared plath, bishop, hardy, longley and yeats

we were told that there is usually an irish poet (longley and yeats) and a female poet (plath nd bishop) so really you'd be safe with those BUT NO gaurantee.

I feel that you should be able to quote from your favourite poets.... but not because you learned them by heart.
    one or two quotes from every second poem should suffice.

Also i think 5 poems from each poet is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I don't think Yeats will come up.

Bishop and Plath are 2 I'm definitely studying. I'll look at Longley too and probably Hardy (Jus cos he's easy enough. Cranky old man blah blah)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I've written out sample essays and just learned quotes to back them up as it looks slightly better. It's nuts trying to learn off dozens of poems, just know one as in depth as possible and refer to it as your "favourite" near the end as it'll look like you actually give a **** about their poetry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'm learning Bishop, Hardy, Longely and Yeats. Not whole poems, just select quotes to back up points. Most poetry questions seem to be "what's so good about this poet's work?" reiterated with different wording.

• Advertisement
Advertisement