Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€120 a month for Broadband!

• 08-05-2006 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

My friend is paying a total of €120 for his broadband connection from Eircom. This seems pretty nuts to me as I'm on IBB and am paying less than €50. He lives in Rathgar Dublin 6, any thoughts on better options that he could use? Preferably without line rental as he doesn't really need a home land line for anything other than t'internet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Can you break that charge of €120 down as its too high for a home connection.....mabye he has a 4Mbit Business line?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Are you sure that bill isn't bi-monthly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

what if he is still on an ancient 512k I-Stream package, original ADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

frobisher wrote:
    My friend is paying a total of €120 for his broadband connection from Eircom. This seems pretty nuts to me as I'm on IBB and am paying less than €50. He lives in Rathgar Dublin 6, any thoughts on better options that he could use? Preferably without line rental as he doesn't really need a home land line for anything other than t'internet.

I'd prefer to pay €120 with Eircom than pay €50 and have to suffer IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Adey2002 wrote:
    I'd prefer to pay €120 with Eircom than pay €50 and have to suffer IBB.

My 1mb Breeze package with IBB for over a year hasn't caused me a single problem and I'm often getting speeds of 2mb. Whenever I've bought new gear they've been great on the phone and really talked me through configuring it. No complaints from me!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What Eircom package is he on? Eircom's most expensive home broadband is €55 a month, plus €24 line rental which makes €79 a month, this would then be €158 on a two-monthly bill. Their business 4M connection is €89 ex VAT, so that's about €108 + 24 rental makes €132. I don't see where this €120 comes from.

Options for broadband without line rental are NTL (if it's available), Smart or Magnet (again if available) or wireless. Just about the only wireless product worth it's salt, from what I can tell, is Metro.

Advertisement