Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Gumball is over for another year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gkbolger

I was driving the BMW and you're correct "she was only a 630" and whats more I borrowed the car for the gumball as i drive a stock 3 series and thats not verry gumball at all. I had personal reasons for doing the gumball as i broke my back in a motorcycle accident in dec 04 and the Gumball finished in the playboy mansion one year to the day that i finally got out of hospal, I figured the gumball would be a cool way to prove to my self that being in a wheelchair is a minor setback and that life goes on, for those curious I borrowed the car and pulled every string i could to do it on the cheap because there is no way on earth I could afford to drop £40,000 for an 8 day holiday. Anyway allthough I only drove the european leg (as did over 20 teams) I did "put the foot down" and drop the car back to dublin and then flew to the US to catch up with my fellow gumballers and enjoy the rest of the rally as a passenger in various cars, the best of both worlds...these boys know how to party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Hi gkbolger , I am thinking about going on the Gumball next year , just got off the phone with Gumball HQ who are forwarding some more detailed info . It looks like its to Dubai next year and won't be as expensive as last year.

My question is re your support vehicle , did you have one and what was the cost . they couldnt really give me a defo answer on costing for next year but it does look like you are allowed to bring a support vehicle.

I just wondering if I could legitmately bring an Range Rover Sport as my "support" vehicle and carry a spare a tyre and petrol can for my amg . I am thinking that way I can get a few mates along aswell and divide the cost as I am sure the Range Rover Sport can keep up with the amg and it will have all the gumball livery on it so it would be default in the gumball race. Do you know if the support driver gets accommodation ferries etc and entry into the parties .

Cheers for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gkbolger

Luckily by driving the BMW I was in good shape re support. (two of the SLRs gave trouble on the first day.) I would say the best thing to do woulld be decide do you really really need a support vehicle, is there any way you could share a support with someone else? etc.... As for having more people on the road with you, the Gumball HQ will let you know how much per head. I got a call from them a few days ago so I know the proposed route and cost, (it's not cheap). Also you should be aware that there are additional costs involved, but as someone already stated here if you have to think about the cost then you probably wouldn't be thinking about entering. If you really are serious then drop me a line.

Graham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

gkbolger wrote:
    I was driving the BMW and you're correct "she was only a 630" and whats more I borrowed the car for the gumball as i drive a stock 3 series and thats not verry gumball at all. I had personal reasons for doing the gumball as i broke my back in a motorcycle accident in dec 04 and the Gumball finished in the playboy mansion one year to the day that i finally got out of hospal, I figured the gumball would be a cool way to prove to my self that being in a wheelchair is a minor setback and that life goes on, for those curious I borrowed the car and pulled every string i could to do it on the cheap because there is no way on earth I could afford to drop £40,000 for an 8 day holiday. Anyway allthough I only drove the european leg (as did over 20 teams) I did "put the foot down" and drop the car back to dublin and then flew to the US to catch up with my fellow gumballers and enjoy the rest of the rally as a passenger in various cars, the best of both worlds...these boys know how to party.

how much did it cost you for the trip,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

"
    Total Posts: 1,340 (408.52 posts per day)"
    That's some posting! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement