Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF - Character Moves On His Own

• 08-05-2006 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

anytime i load a game the person i control is constantly moving forward. it has been like this now for a week and i have absolutely no reason why. it used to run perfectly and then all of a sudden turned it on one day and bam, he is moving on his own. i pressed q to see if that would make a difference and the answer is no. any ideas?
    just tried starting a new game and the same thing happens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mossy Monk wrote:
    anytime i load a game the person i control is constantly moving forward. it has been like this now for a week and i have absolutely no reason why. it used to run perfectly and then all of a sudden turned it on one day and bam, he is moving on his own. i pressed q to see if that would make a difference and the answer is no. any ideas?
    just tried starting a new game and the same thing happens

ok try opening a word document and check if the letter w keeps getting typed over and over, maybe your key is stuck down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not that as i can type these posts with no difficulty

Mossy Monk wrote:
    not that as i can type these posts with no difficulty

yes i should have seen that i suppose, hmmm, try re-assigning a different button to walking forward and then setting it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Is it possible the q key for auto-walk is also assigned to another key? For example, my mouse has a few other buttons on it to which I have assigned useful commands like manipulate. You could check the ini file, but when I looked at it there it seems the controls are mapped in hexadecimal format. Uh, just try the in-game options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Maybe the game is reading input from a gamepad/joystick you have connected to the PC? Only other thing I can think of other than checking your binds.

• Advertisement

why tf didn't I think of that?! Good call, sand.

Sand wrote:
    Maybe the game is reading input from a gamepad/joystick you have connected to the PC?

nicely called. back to business now

thanks

Sand wrote:
    Maybe the game is reading input from a gamepad/joystick you have connected to the PC? Only other thing I can think of other than checking your binds.

This is the first thing that came to mind but didn't think you'd be using a jotstick/pad.

I hate when i turn on a console with the analog sticks in a non zero position, same thing as above, nicely sorted there good call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Same thing happened to me before (different game obviously). Really irritating to have to connect/disconnect as needed.

always happened to my n64 as a bit of grit would get in and press the analog stick against one of the sensor things and always walk forward or sideways, had to get a needle to it to clear it out. Big pain in the ass i'd say on a PC as you have to do the whole restart thing

• Advertisement

Yes. My brother had the bright idea of putting baking soda or talc powder down into the n64 stick. Never worked again....

chamlis wrote:
    Yes. My brother had the bright idea of putting baking soda or talc powder down into the n64 stick

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Vodka Junkie

Vegeta wrote:
    always happened to my n64 as a bit of grit would get in and press the analog stick against one of the sensor things and always walk forward or sideways, had to get a needle to it to clear it out. Big pain in the ass i'd say on a PC as you have to do the whole restart thing

I used to "repair" friends old megadrive and playstation controllers in primary and secondary school when things would go wrong with the controls. I never did get around to telling them that my technique mainly involved lollipop sticks, celltape, parts of straws and superglue.:o Sometimes they even worked afterwards :D:D:D:D

I used to "repair" friends old megadrive and playstation controllers in primary and secondary school when things would go wrong with the controls. I never did get around to telling them that my technique mainly involved lollipop sticks, celltape, parts of straws and superglue.:o Sometimes they even worked afterwards :D:D:D:D

did u glue on any warhammer guys they be cool little trophies stuck on the controllers.

I had to use the red n64 controller when playing as it was the colour of my enemies blood when playing goldeneye

Vegeta wrote:
    Why??

Cos the sticks would get really loose, like they wouldn't stay centre and then be off when the game loaded. Giving the same constant moving problem. Though it was usually to the left or right. So you'd have to hold left to look straight ahead etc. Talc was supposed to roughen the surface and keep it steady.

On another note, I have opened up my xbox controller and placed a blue LED underneath the badge. Not a warhammer space marine, but nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Pffft! Space marine? You want a nice shiney necron! ;)

chamlis wrote:
    Cos the sticks would get really loose, like they wouldn't stay centre and then be off when the game loaded. Giving the same constant moving problem. Though it was usually to the left or right. So you'd have to hold left to look straight ahead etc. Talc was supposed to roughen the surface and keep it steady.

On another note, I have opened up my xbox controller and placed a blue LED underneath the badge. Not a warhammer space marine, but nice...

oh now i get it, yeah had a few loose controllers myself. I thought he was just randomly vandalising the controllers with baking soda

Blue LED nice, reminds me of pimp my ride but for an xbox controller. We should maybe post pics of our pimped out consoles/PCs.

Pffft! Space marine? You want a nice shiney necron! ;)

Imagine a small squad of Khorne Berzerkers racing to evicerate their imperial foes... built ontop of your gaming pad!!! now that would be savage. There'd be no more trhowing the controller at the screen in rage however just gentle lobbing at at cushion. :D

Vegeta wrote:
    did u glue on any warhammer guys they be cool little trophies stuck on the controllers.

Na but as you see above I have a plan. :D
    Vegeta wrote:
    I had to use the red n64 controller when playing as it was the colour of my enemies blood when playing goldeneye

And nicely hid the blood seeping from your blisters from the multiplayer. :p

I've no camera at tho mo, but I think I might have one of the Blue LED in the power button of my xbox. My mate got his xbox modded and the blue LED was part of the package. I liked the look of it, so I decided to change it myself. Everything else is the same though.

• Advertisement

Sure lob up a pic here and we'll take a look. It sounds quite cool. :)

i was hoping this thread wouldnt have a part 2 but it does. i have had to reinstall my windows (nasty business) now when i open a game in oblivion he moves backwards. i am completely at a loss this thime. there is no joypads or anything like that connected

:confused: I have no idea what could be doing it. You could run the msconfig utility and in the services tab disabling everything you don't need, there's a check box there for hiding the microsoft programs. Although if you reinstalled Windows and still got nowhere then I don't think this will do much for you. Good way to find virus' though. Good Luck!

i have come to the conclusion that my pc is posessed. turned it on about 2 hours ago to see if there was settings in the game that could sort it and it ran perfectly without me touching anything

Ah ok I found it on my E:/ drive. Since people seem intersted I'll post it here. Its an old one though I've none of the controller. Must get a new camera

796597432.jpg

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i have come to the conclusion that my pc is posessed. turned it on about 2 hours ago to see if there was settings in the game that could sort it and it ran perfectly without me touching anything

Never turn it off again!!!

chamlis wrote:
    Ah ok I found it on my E:/ drive. Since people seem intersted I'll post it here. Its an old one though I've none of the controller. Must get a new camera

Big pimpin style I like it, very nice indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Do you have a joystick or gamepad plugged in? When I first installed oblivion my joystick was plugged in and even though I am not using it the controller would cause the character to always move forward. Unplugging it should do the trick or setting joystick setting in the config to 0 or something. See if that's the problem.

Vegeta wrote:
    Big pimpin style I like it, very nice indeed

hehehe You'll notice the left is dimmer than the right. It shorted out awhile ago and I haven't opened her up to check it out yet. I'm so goddamn lazy.

Also, the DVD drive has started to act up too. BUT, this is an Elderscrolls Forum, so.... :o

• Advertisement

chamlis wrote:
    hehehe You'll notice the left is dimmer than the right. It shorted out awhile ago and I haven't opened her up to check it out yet. I'm so goddamn lazy.

Also, the DVD drive has started to act up too. BUT, this is an Elderscrolls Forum, so.... :o

well if you want to chat about the hardware you play the elderscrolls on who am i to stop you ;)

Advertisement