Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening an SQL DB With HTML

Options
  • 08-05-2006 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Im not going to tell a fib, but i've been very badly done by in a group project. Basicly, 3 of us had to make a vb app that gets info from an SQL db, updates lalalal the usual jazz.

I took on the role of the VB app (big mistake), never the less, its working really well, not a single error and i kept my word. I've done my part, which imo is at least 70% of the overall assignment. It took the entire weekend, i gave up free tickets to the Kaiser Chiefs, missed a mates 21st and got a total of about 10 hours sleep over the weekend... which im ok with as its part of the course(imo), but never the less the other 2 did nothing.

Between the other 2 in the project, there was the mysql db script to write, which was done in an hour between the 3 of us. There was also a HTML File which should print the DB data to a page for reading information - this was not done.

We presented today, i showed all the bells and whistles of the VB, so did everyone else, but the lecturer wouldnt accept our project because we didnt have the HTML file.

I know this forum isnt a 'help me with my project' forum, but never the less, my week or so of living at the machine, and learning stuff from the start is going to go out the window and if this project is failed, you cant repeat it in the summer.

Can anyone help me out with regards to printing SQL data to a HTML page? I dont know php or javascript, i barely know html... to be frank i couldnt care about html and so on, thats why i left it to the others in the team. but my neck is on the line if we dont have this HTML file. So i've put the kettle on, and im about to embark on another all nighter to get it done

Any help would be seriously appreciated

Thanks
    red

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're already using VB, then you should be able to sort out an ASP or VB.NET script which will do it for you.

If you know how (using VB, for e.g.) to get the data from the DB and print it to screen or to a text file, then printing it out in HTML is only a tiny step further.

I'm not overly familiar with client-side VBScript - it may be possible to use VBScript embedded in the HTML page to access the DB and output the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

good idea, i didnt think about using VB Script, the mian hurdle being learning it. When i said i did it in VB, i mean, i did it in VB 2005 Express edition.

i think that can work, but it may be a fair bit of work as i really dont know anything about HTML other than what i can throw together in Dreamweaver MX

Thanks for the input, helped a good bit, ill keep looking into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

is it done as VB.NEt stand alone app or a web app?

If standalone you could add a WebService method and return the data as html(of course it would be wrapped in xml but you could extract it fairly easily)

other way would be to create an APS.net page call your vb.net object
    and just loop through the results and write each one to the page

Advertisement