Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why not publish your reg/ insurance details?

Options
  • 08-05-2006 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

I' m testing the waters for my car in the for sale section at the moment and had pics up showing the reg and NCT/tax/insurance discs.

This is a copy from the FS thread:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnCleary
    Take yer reg/insurance details out of the pics ASAP lad!

err... why?
    Anyone who wanted to could read them off the stickers any day anyway.

Or is there any sort of special insurance fraud thingy that I'm not aware of (innocent, naive culchy that i am) ?

So what exactly is that terrible fraud that I'm so blisfully unaware of?

I mean, anyone can just copy your reg and insurance details from a parked car anyway ...not exactly classified information, now is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not exactly classified information, but you may as well take every precaution.

To use an analogy - a burglar knows that there's cool stuff in your house, and you're just as likely to get robbed as the next guy, but would you like to stick a full list of items up on a website or in a paper?

It's a common scam to make copies of numberplates and scumbags put them on their cars so they don't get speeding fines, etc. In order to get your reg, they'd have to find and see your car. If you put the details in an ad, you're giving it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

So these people, their employers and the lads they know don't know who mr. peasant is, and where to go to rob the car:
    An Post for the purposes of validation of particulars relating to holders of driving licences for the Garda Siochana Fixed Charges Processing System (FCPS)

Eirtrade Services Limited, for the purposes of hosting the motor tax online service

National Authority for Occupational Safety and Health for the purposes of assisting with implementing health and safety legislation

Local authorities and all persons contracted to them to provide computer processing facilities for the purposes of the Local Authorities (Traffic Wardens) Act, 1975 (No. 14 of 1975)

Motor insurers approved by the Department of Transport for the purposes of supplying details of Driver Penalty Points imposed under the Road Traffic Act 2002 (No. 12 of 2002) to facilitate insurance premium discounts to policy holders

Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland for the purpose of motor vehicle related investigations

Persons for the purposes of road or personal safety initiatives

National Car Testing Service Limited for the purposes of assisting in the delivery of the national car testing service

National Toll Roads Limited for the purposes of collecting the tolls .under Section 59 of the Roads Act 1993 (No. 14 of 1993)

Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs for the purpose of motor vehicle related investigations

SWS Business Process Outsourcing Limited for the purposes of providing data processing services for the Driver Licence Penalty Points system under the Road Traffic Act 2002 (No. 12 of 2002)

Tribunals of Inquiry, set up pursuant to the Tribunals of Inquiry (Evidence) Acts 1921 to 1998

Such other persons as may be approved from time to time

Taken from the Finance Act, 1993 (Section 60) Regulations, 2005 which specifies those apart from the garda and local authorities who are permitted to access the National Vehicle and Driver File.

Advertisement