Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting where?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Still not that bad. Yeah obviously they are doing the oversold stuff too but I must say they are quite friendly.

Just to let people know, please what ever you do stay away from valuehost.co.uk. What a load of crap. They constantly getting DOS attacks and the support is a joke. It takes them 2 weeks to reply and their phone numbers don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

tom-thebox wrote:
    Jmcc did you have ball park figures a while back (2 or 3 years now) of the % of irish sites hosted outside the country?
    I'd have to do the figures again to give a precise figure but I'd reckon that the Irish market has matured considerably in the last few years. The bulk of Irish sites would be Irish hosted now. There are some large hosters that host outside of Ireland but what you tend to find outside of Ireland now are people on shared hosting and the odd small webdev with a dedicated box. It is a mature market and the barriers to entry are a lot higher now. This means that anyone trying to get into the market will, rather stupidly, sell at or near cost in an attempt to buy marketshare.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i have hosting with 1and1 in the UK, only went with them for price and overall their service is terrible. I have had a load of trouble with their accounts department (partially my fault as you offically need to be a UK resident to get an account but the way they went about their business was apauling)

i also have hosting with Blacknight, very happy with the service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

smeggle wrote:
    I'm wondering if the current pricing you have is in direct responce to that new hosting company that came out at the beginning of the year and slashed the .ie domain price along with 999mb space/100gigs bw packages?
    Smeggle, I've resisted the temptation, so far, to tell you that you don't have much of a clue about the business end (as opposed to the retail) of the Irish hosting business. H365 is the significant market player in the Irish market and has the biggest share of the market. If it wanted to it could obliterate some of these mickey mouse operations that think they are going to take the market by storm by offering more for less. All the significant players have to do is give away free hosting for a while and most of these small operations would be in trouble.

The reality of a mature market is that it is very hard to dislodge the significant players and any dislodgement is done by other significant players. Right now, Eircom.net and Esat.net are being hammered by the second generation hosters like Novara, Irish Domains and Blacknight. Novara has overtaken Esat recently and if it continues growing, it should overtake Eircom in the next six months (if Eircom's poor performance continues).

At the moment, the top 20% of hosters would have approximately 80% of the market. Anyone can start a pricewar but it is only the guys with the deep pockets that can end it. Being the cheapest is not a unique selling point because someone with more money can always come along and sell cheaper.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I think you need to make the question more specific tom. We could all be hosted with Irish companies, but **** knows where they actually get their hosting space and bandwidth from.

The question was "What country do you host your website in?", I dont think I could be any more specific. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

tom-thebox wrote:
    The question was "What country do you host your website in?", I dont think I could be any more specific. :)

Maybe not, as you understand what that means.

However a lot of people presume that because they are buying from an Irish operation that their site will be hosted in Ireland...

If you look at the list here:

http://www.webhosting.info/webhosts/tophosts/Country/IE

most people would probably assume that they all host in Ireland, whereas about a third of that list don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Funky Munky

nikimere wrote:
    doteasy.com - america
    simply because you get UNLIMITED bandwidth and 20GB of space for €90 a year. and they have excellent support.

They sound too good to be true. Is anyone else with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

You'll find lots on webhostingtalk.com about them, for example:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=383044&highlight=doteasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

blacknight wrote:
    most people would probably assume that they all host in Ireland, whereas about a third of that list don't

My point exactly. Plus Europe and America are not countries :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

My point exactly. Plus Europe and America are not countries :p

haha now that is a good point :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

tom-thebox wrote:
    haha now that is a good point :D
    Sure I always knew your geography was dire :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Just out of interest (since..... dont try to advertise again) - what makes you think Irish prices are any worse than anywhere else in the world?

US prices are extremely cheaper. MANAGED high spec servers in the US cost about the same price as an unmanged Celeron in Ireland. If I remember correctly, H365 charge €200 per hour for work done on customers server, whereas the US host does it for free (on a managed server.)

Makes a big difference!

Also, the US hosts, even if they are unmanaged, are normally fairly customer friendly and will sort out server problems for their customers. Irish hosts do not seem to do this without getting some €€€... (i.e. €200 per hour.)

I also find the customer service from US hosts to be far superior (although I think in general customer service in the US is better than in Ireland.)

Saying all that... I'm happy with my Irish host (good uptime/network!)

Hi Doleman, It's actually €75 per hour, and only for skilled engineering time. General things like reinstalls, hands and eyes, reboots and basic help are all complimentary.

It's also important to compare like with like. Few US hosts can match 60 euro a month for a dedicated server and still give the same levels of connectivity and service / SLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

I host with Hosting365.ie whose support has saved my sanity on numerous occasions - one notable time 2 years ago - when Stephen helped me out on the phone at 7pm on a Saturday evening.

Anyone who is serious about developing sites for their Irish clients that perform well in search engines, hosts in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Anyone who is serious about developing sites for their Irish clients that perform well in search engines, hosts in Ireland!

While Irish support is very helpful (and I have sites & servers in Ireland), that sweeping statement doesn't cut it with me. Others have made points about SLAs, level of support, bandwidth & pricing, and shared hosting is as competitive here as anywhere else, but dedicated servers / co-lo is still a long way off (even with H365's €60 10Mbit).

Irish SEO can do just as well with a .ie or with something like Blacknights Astermdamn space (with Irish IP allocation). Bang for buck (uptime, SLA and bandwidth), Ireland still fairs badly with the States, in my opinion.

Cgarvey - can you give some examples?

I've seen few US operations that can compete with us these days... never mind still being a 'long way off'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The big boys are more expensive on dedi these days, but there's oodles of cheapies out there, you only have to poke your nose in the dedi offers forum on WHT to find them. That being said, Europe in general and Germany in particular are consistently cheaper that the US these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I've seen few US operations that can compete with us these days... never mind still being a 'long way off'

Loads of stuff here -

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

I like this one -

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=512586

US prices are certainly cheaper overall (when you take into account managed/unmanaged, contracts, cPanel etc.)

Also, as I said in a previous post, the customer service from US hosts is far superior. I always feel they are thinking "the customer is always right" whereas Irish hosts are thinking "the customer is stupid, we're right"... (again, this is a problem with Ireland in general, not just hosting companies...)

If a website is important to me, I would host it in Ireland though. I like the fact that I can send the lads around if something goes wrong... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you mean on price alone, I'm reasonably confident I could beat your lowest R365 price. That's not to say I would want to (because of the Irish support point I made earlier). But any serious dedicated server user needs lots of backup options. Remote boot for when system hangs (I read somewhere on R365 that that's included, but I've not got any details other than that), remote console (for kernel upgrades, troubleshooting), instant OS resinstall.. all features that come as standard on any $99 plan with the big boys. Sure, on price you guys are up there with the best, but feature / bang-for-buck you aren't. Hands'n'Eyes 40mins-1hour away isn't a substitute for the abovementioned.

So on price, you are competitive (which is why I'm a direct and indirect customer of yours), but I wouldn't host any mission critical site on R365 (lack of decent SLA, 10Mbit connection), and servers365 is way off the mark.

On price you can be beaten, but personally, I'd be very cagey of the various offers on WHT. I hope that clarifies what I mean, a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Does anyone here use http://www.webworld.ie/ ? or know anything about them?

I didn't see them being mentioned in this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement