Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dutch Squad

• 08-05-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Holland 28-man pre-World Cup squad:

Keepers: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Henk Timmer (AZ Alkmaar)

Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (Hamburg SV), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar), Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar), Jan Kromkamp (Liverpool), Joris Mathijsen (AZ Alkmaar), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax), Barry Opdam (AZ Alkmaar)

Midfielders: George Boateng (Middlesbrough), Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Phillip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven), Nigel de Jong (Hamburg SV), Denny Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar), Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg SV)

Strikers: Ryan Babel (Ajax), Romeo Castelen (Feyenoord), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax), Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV Eindhoven).

Not bad at all. My 11 in bold.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

6 strikers (excluding van Persie) named and Makaay can't even make the squad. Seedorf and Bouma also left out. On paper I don't think Holland look strong enough to win the world cup but the same can be said about the Czech Republic squad that did so well at the European Champs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I think its the fact a lot of home grown players are being used, or as marco refere to them hardworking and not superstars, he did drop RVn quite a lot to get him team focused.

Noone really knows the back 4 or DMFs only the fancy players who play abroad.

kdjac

You're right, I wouldn't know most of the home based players. I think almost every one of the AZ Alkmaar 1st team have been capped under van Basten. :) It's actually only the AZ players I don't recognise. I've been following them in the Dutch league for a year and a half now and I couldn't name more than 2 or 3 of their players. :) Fantastic team though and it is absolutely disgraceful that Ajax have got into the Cl ahead of them even though AZ finished 14 (?) points ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

It's a strong squad. And a very different prospect to previous Dutch squads, but I'm sure we will get the usuals writing them off because "the Dutch always fight amongst themselves". Van Basten has built a great team spirit and they qualifed at a canter from a tough group.

I backed them because they were a good price, but I think this WC might be one too soon for them. Still a good outsider though IMO. A double with RVN to be top scorer is good odds too.

How did that thing wiht Ajax/AZ happen Eirebhoy? I saw the table there on Sky yesterday and noticed they had PSV and Ajax highlighted for it even though Ajax were in fourth or something.

How did that thing wiht Ajax/AZ happen Eirebhoy? I saw the table there on Sky yesterday and noticed they had PSV and Ajax highlighted for it even though Ajax were in fourth or something.

Most insane play off ever, the top 4 outside 1st play off for the Cl spot Ajax came 4th, AZ 2nd.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Holland are a good outsider bet for the WC as is RVN for top scorer. They need 6 strikers because they play 4-3-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Do "AZAlkmaar" have some super defensive record that they consist 4 of the 7 defenders!? Amazing that they have 8 strikers, 6 of which I know and are good, they have to drop Makaay, and England have Walcott as their 3rd choice

KdjaC wrote:
    Most insane play off ever, the top 4 outside 1st play off for the Cl spot Ajax came 5th, AZ 2nd.
    In a semi-final then final? Sounds pretty exiting to be honest.

On another note I think this could be a very exiting WC for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. He's netted 15 goals since joining Ajax in January, to go with his 17 for Herenveen up until December.

In a semi-final then final? Sounds pretty exiting to be honest.

On another note I think this could be a very exiting WC for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. He's netted 15 goals since joining Ajax in January, to go with his 17 for Herenveen up until December.

Yup, its not fair tbh i am not sure if it was that way at the start of the season ie Ajax got what they wanted.

Huntelaar is indeed a good choice but Marco has gone with 1 up (RVN or Huntelaar) and 2 winger forwards (Robben Kuyt) with Vaart and Jong and Bommel as mid 3. thats not a bad team up until an alleged drugs incident Man U were buying Vaart for 20 odd million.

Dark Horses indeed.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Btw, their group is amazingly hard, definetly the group of death. Serb&Mont only conceded 1 goal in qualifying(as everyone already knows), Ivory coast reaached the African Nations cup final, and boast a strong squad, and Argentina are one of the favourites. IMHO, they are 4 of the top 12 teams.

• Advertisement

OTliddy wrote:
    Btw, their group is amazingly hard, definetly the group of death. Serb&Mont only conceded 1 goal in qualifying(as everyone already knows), Ivory coast reaached the African Nations cup final, and boast a strong squad, and Argentina are one of the favourites. IMHO, they are 4 of the top 12 teams.
    I think this could work in their favour. They will be well tested and very focused should they emerge from that group.

As KdjaC said the Dutch league turns into play off league for the final couple of weeks.

2nd - 5th playoff for the CL
    6th - 9th playoff for the UEFA cup
    10th - 13th playoff for the Intertoto

It is a diabolical system if you ask me. AZ finished 18 points ahead of Groningen and 14 points ahead of Ajax yet both of them can still qualify for the CL. Groningen are not in Europe because they failed to make the CL even though they finished higher than Heerenveen (who won the UEFA cup playoffs). I think there's 2 years left with the experiment.

eirebhoy wrote:
    As KdjaC said the Dutch league turns into play off league for the final couple of weeks.

2nd - 5th playoff for the CL
    6th - 9th playoff for the UEFA cup
    10th - 13th playoff for the Intertoto

It is a diabolical system if you ask me. AZ finished 18 points ahead of Groningen and 14 points ahead of Ajax yet both of them can still qualify for the CL. Groningen are not in Europe because they failed to make the CL even though they finished higher than Heerenveen (who won the UEFA cup playoffs). I think there's 2 years left with the experiment.
    That is a bit ridiculous alright. I presume AZ still get a UEFA cup place?

This was in place at the beginning of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think there's 2 years left with the experiment.

When their 9th place team bombs out of the UEFA Cup and 5th place does s*it in the CL they'll get sense. Absolute nonsense way of doing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say I am pleased with our team for the WC , glad to see Huntelaar and Ryan Babel included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is the spanish squad named?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hadn't heard about that Dutch system before, seems insane. The 13th place team can get into Europe ahead of the team in 2nd? Is that right, or am I picking it up all wrong?

Stekelly wrote:
    Is the spanish squad named?
    Casillas (Real Madrid), Reina (Liverpool), Canizares (Valencia); Capdevila (Deportivo La Coruna), Puyol (Barcelona), Salgado, Ramos (both Real Madrid), Marchena (Valencia), Del Horno (Chelsea), Lopez, Ibanez (both Atletico Madrid), Juanito (Real Betis), Venta (Villarreal); Albelda, Baraja (both Valencia), Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso (both Liverpool), Joaquin (Real Betis), Fabregas (Arsenal), Iniesta, Xavi (both Barcelona), Senna (Villarreal); Reyes (Arsenal), Morientes (Liverpool), Villa (Valencia), Torres (Atletico Madrid), Raul (Real Madrid).

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hadn't heard about that Dutch system before, seems insane. The 13th place team can get into Europe ahead of the team in 2nd? Is that right, or am I picking it up all wrong?
    I think with the CL playoffs the top 2/3 in the league are guaranteed UEFA cup no matter what. The 5th placed team have only got the CL to play for and nothing to fall back on. I'm just guessing though based on the teams that have qualified for Europe but I know that Groningen won't be in Europe next season.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think with the CL playoffs the top 2/3 in the league are guaranteed UEFA cup no matter what. The 5th placed team have only got the CL to play for and nothing to fall back on. I'm just guessing though based on the teams that have qualified for Europe but I know that Groningen won't be in Europe next season.
    Oh right, slightly less ridiculous, but still pretty nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

robben and heitinga will be starters me thinks

Yeah I think Robben is a cert to start and will probably have the same impact as Duff did 4 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I think Holland are a great bet for the WC, better then england IMO even with Rooney.

They will be great going forward and if they keep their heads they can go all the way. Hope Van Persie gets some time on the pitch too. Will probably be used as a late sub

Any chance each squad could get their own thread, well at least the good teams? Theres likes loads of internet space :D Be crap to have them all in one etc:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaC wrote:
    Theres likes loads of internet space

It's nearly full apparently.:)

Stekelly wrote:
    It's nearly full apparently.:)
    I blame Redspider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I blame Redspider.
    :D

My team:

Van Der Saar

Boulahrouz, Ooijer, Heitinga, van Bronckhorst

de Jong

Sneijder, van der Vaart

----Kuyt, van Nistelrooy, Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

where is clarence seedorf?? madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mikelmessi

Final squad announced and no place for Huntelaar. Surprising he left him out in favour of Vennegor of Hesselink.

Squad: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United),
    Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax),
    Henk Timmer (AZ Alkmaar);
    Khalid Boulahrouz (Hamburg),
    Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona),
    Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar),
    Johnny Heitinga (Ajax),
    Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar),
    Jan Kromkamp (Liverpool),
    Joris Mathijsen (AZ Alkmaar),
    Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven);
    Mark van Bommel (Barcelona),
    Phillip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven),
    Denny Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar),
    Hedwiges Maduro, Wesley Sneijder (both Ajax),
    Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg);
    Ryan Babel (Ajax),
    Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord),
    Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United),
    Robin van Persie (Arsenal),
    Arjen Robben (Chelsea),
    Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV Eindhoven).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm happy Huntelaar isn't there, means he can't impress and his price go up as apparently United are up for him.

Holland are the team that I'm really rooting for this world cup cause they have one of my favorite players Ruud, also I like that they play football.
    Come on holland :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

The lack of Seedorf is the most startling thing to me alright, i thought he'd quite a good season with milan (despite going missing at times). He's a great passer of the ball but i guess Van Basten has a point with mostly going for young talent playing at home. They always play great entertaining football so i'm really looking forward to seeing them play.

What a group too, there's always one! S&M could be a real banana peel and its well possible we could see a surprise exit (i'm looking at you argentina!:p)
    Any chance each squad could get their own thread, well at least the good teams?

Can we have a Togo thread? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I blame Redspider.

Hey, I dont think a person with over 5,700 posts can lambast myself with a mere 1,100 posts. Mind you quality does 'cost' in terms of KB's. ;-)

I wonder can the admins change the posts count to a KB or MB count. That would be more reflective of usage.

In terms of the Dutch team, yes, they have a chance in the World Cup. Its not the best Dutch team though, so I would be very surprised if they won it. Many players are good, but they dont have enough brilliant players in my opinion. The advantage that they have is that they are next-door to Germany, so will have huge support, and will be familiar with the terrain, weather, etc. Also, I think whats good for the team is that they are not expected to win it. Van Basten also has a good team spirit going so their team effort, ala Greece in Euro2004, could get them quite far.

Only time will tell ....

redspider

redspider wrote:
    Hey, I dont think a person with over 5,700 posts can lambast myself with a mere 1,100 posts. Mind you quality does 'cost' in terms of KB's. ;-)

I wonder can the admins change the posts count to a KB or MB count. That would be more reflective of usage.

In terms of the Dutch team, yes, they have a chance in the World Cup. Its not the best Dutch team though, so I would be very surprised if they won it. Many players are good, but they dont have enough brilliant players in my opinion. The advantage that they have is that they are next-door to Germany, so will have huge support, and will be familiar with the terrain, weather, etc. Also, I think whats good for the team is that they are not expected to win it. Van Basten also has a good team spirit going so their team effort, ala Greece in Euro2004, could get them quite far.

Only time will tell ....

redspider
    Hehe, 5,700 one-liners like this vs 1,100 full-blown theses on Jamie Carraghers nose-hair... ;)

Only joking, I enjoy reading your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

England are 7-1 to win whilst Holland are 11-1. I've went and stuck a tenner on Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mikelmessi

Not picking Seedorf, Kluivert etc Van Basten is building a mainly young squad and getting away from all that traditional Dutch moaning and infighting. I think this WC will be too soon for them but I'd stick money on them for the next Euro champs.

Advertisement