Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ftp server on windows 2003 server problems + alternative to ics

Options
  • 08-05-2006 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

i am running an ftp server program on windows 2003 server called bulletproof ftp server. however i cant access it externally, have been on google for ages and no luck :)

i have 2 nics in the server.. one is the exernal net connection (static IP) and 1 nic for the lan (also static), I am using ICS to share the internet connection with pcs on the lan (is there a better way??) do I need to setup port forwarding or something?? Firewall is configured to allow incoming and outgoing port 20+21 on both nics

what am i doing wrong?? is there anyway i can share the internet connection on the lan without using ICS??? (I am just using a workgroup, didnt see a need to set up a domain there is only about 4-5 pcs on the network)

this worked fine on windows xp pro with pretty much exactly the same setup, so whats different with windows 2003 server that would stop this working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

gline wrote:
    i am running an ftp server program on windows 2003 server called bulletproof ftp server. however i cant access it externally, have been on google for ages and no luck :)

i have 2 nics in the server.. one is the exernal net connection (static IP) and 1 nic for the lan (also static), I am using ICS to share the internet connection with pcs on the lan (is there a better way??) do I need to setup port forwarding or something?? Firewall is configured to allow incoming and outgoing port 20+21 on both nics

I set up a ftp server on my home pc and I needed to set up rules on both my firewall and router so..

I would image you need to use port forwarding on your router.

Good luck

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

quazzy wrote:
    I set up a ftp server on my home pc and I needed to set up rules on both my firewall and router so..

I would image you need to use port forwarding on your router.

Good luck

Q

i dont have a router, like i said the server has 2nics, so it has a direct connection to the net, and i am using a software firewall which is configured to allow ftp traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

gline wrote:
    i dont have a router, like i said the server has 2nics, so it has a direct connection to the net, and i am using a software firewall which is configured to allow ftp traffic

Using a Router will solve your probs but you prob know that by now.

ICS sets the IP (non configurable) of the machine to 192.168.0.1 AFAIR so do an ipconfig /all for us and post up the result.

Using a Router will solve your probs but you prob know that by now.

ICS sets the IP (non configurable) of the machine to 192.168.0.1 AFAIR so do an ipconfig /all for us and post up the result.

i manually set the ip of the lan nic to 192.168.0.1 and sub 255.255.255.0

found the problem to be the firewall, when i disable it people can access the ftp

however i have configured all the ftp traffic through it and the bulletproof exe access on all ports, is there any other windows processes/files that i would need to allow access on to get this to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Where's the ipconfig /all results???

What firewall?

• Advertisement

Where's the ipconfig /all results???

What firewall?

its just a symantec client firewall, there is probably some windows components i need to add to the program list

has nothing to do with the nic configurations so ipconfig info is of no use here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The routing and remote access service is installed but not enabled by default on windows 2003, which is an alternative method. Typically you'd set up NAT, DNS and DHCP servers on the windows server. The internal port of the server would be the DNS and gateway address of the clients. The DNS server would cache and forward DNS queries by the clients.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Configuring-Windows-Server-2003-act-NAT-router.html

I would have thought that windows 2003 ICS would work by configuring that, instead of being the same as XP Pro. But never checked.

There's a security wizard that can be installed for configuring the inbuilt 2003 firewall.
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Protecting-Exchange-2003-Windows-Firewall.html
    half way down the page.

Is the symantec firewall the personal version? Sometimes the home stuff can choke on a server install.

Only other thing that comes to mind is setting both NIC address in bulletproof ftp

it is a corporate software firewall

solved the problem just by installing sygate professional firewall, works a treat

but thanks for the info it will come in handy later on

thanks

Advertisement