Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII announced for PS3!

• 08-05-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

Wow! Big news out of Square-Enix's E3 conference - top of the bill being the announcement of the FFXIII universe, which will bear two games on PS3, and one mobile game!

Some details from Gamespot:

FFXIII
    FINAL FANTASY XIII. FINAL FANTASY XIII. They pulled a serious bait-and-switch on us. Sword-and-gun-wielding heroine who looks like Yuna, flipping her way around a high-tech, futuristic world. No idea what it was until the end when that NAME popped up. Yoshinori Kitase directing! This is the guy behind all the best ones--VI, VIII, VIII, X. Be still my heart.

2:08 Sorry, I jumped the gun--Mr. Kitase was merely presenting. Motomu Toriyama will direct the game. And apparently FFXIII isn't the only game coming out of this universe--there's a, uh, mobile game too. Oh. It's Final Fantasy Agito XIII.
    Some more info on FFXIII (can't type fast enough!): The game was begun by the FFX team for PS2, but the team was then derailed to make last year's FFVIII PS3 tech demo. They were so happy with the hardware, they decided to then shift development to the new platform. Apparently the game will run on the "White Engine" and will feature the most technologically advanced civilization ever featured in a Final Fantasy. The storyline will center on "those who resist the world." Yeah, okay.

Wired (http://blog.wired.com/games/) also says of it:
    Looks amazing. Female main character. Looked like prerendered video, except it was realtime. Dramatic actionpacked battles with crazy camerawork.

:D

And info on FF Versus XIII:
    Now it's Fabula Nova Crystallis--"the new tale of the crystal" in Latin. They're big on the Latin today. Whoa, wait, another new game? Another PS3 game?! Final Fantasy Versus XIII? They're emphasizing that in Latin, versus means "to change direction." This is a Tetsuya Nomura game, and he's taking the stage now.

2:17 Nomura is providing more details. The CG movie we just saw, featuring a spiky-haired character (natch) squaring off against machine gun-wielding soldiers, was created by the Advent Children team, but the game itself will be made by the Kingdom Hearts team, and will feature "extreme action elements." He says "bonding" will be the primary theme of the game.

And Sony's conference has yet to begin!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

FFXIII on PS3 isn't exactly shocking, but I wasn't expecting to see it announced this year. No doubt its way way off being anywhere near ready but I look forward to seeing the footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

True, but I'm also surprised it was announced quite so soon.

The logo:

35editeurs20060508_235310_0_big.jpg

Hopefully screens and movies are on the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Jesus, the logos just keep getting fancier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Err...screenshots...I'm not sure what's realtime...:confused: :eek:

finalfanta200151l3kl.jpg

finalfanta200152l2dh.jpg

finalfanta200153l7ad.jpg

finalfanta200155l7gc.jpg

finalfanta200159l5il.jpg

The FFXIII footage was supposedly realtime, the FF Versus XIII footage, CG. I can scarcely believe this is the realtime stuff..?

edit - the 3rd and 4th are supposedly realtime, at least :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Looks impressive alright. Very very good character models in paritcular.

Don't like the look of that interface though at first glance, probably shouldn't read into it until some details are announced though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement