Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Athlone: Options and Recomendation Plz

• 08-05-2006 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

A friend of mine has asked for assistance getting broadband for his new house in Athlone. Not being from the area, I have no idea what to suggest.

I do know that he doesn't want to put in anything over a phone line as he doesn't plan to have a land line installed.

Is there anything like Irish BroadBand etc... available in Athlone?

Any suggestions and personal endorsements welcome!
    Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

www.lastmile.ie do wireless BB in Athlone. The have masts to the east and west of the town with pretty good coverage I believe. Their offices are also in Athlone. What part of athlone is he moving to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

kaizersoze wrote:
    www.lastmile.ie do wireless BB in Athlone. The have masts to the east and west of the town with pretty good coverage I believe. Their offices are also in Athlone. What part of athlone is he moving to?

IBB offer breeze in athlone now i think

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Listmile is pretty expensive! Didnt realise that IBB are in Athlone, just checked their site and it appears that the area on the roscommon area (where he lives) is now covered (subject to a check of course!).

However, I am hearing nothing but bad stories about IBB and their products. I know several people in Dublin who have left them or who rant about them regularly! I also know there is couple of million threads on here slating them! As such, Im reluctant to recomend this to him.

Maybe getting a phone based package is the only way?

Any other options?
    Cheers,
    Jab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

BTwould then be the cheapest well... thats if you get billed correctly or get billled at all. I'm with BT and find their service very good in Athlone, just have trouble with getting them to take money off me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

have been with Eircom and now BT for land-line broadband, no issues, BT is cheaper, how far from the Athlone exchange will he be, Athlone is a well spread town so he may be too far away to get line-based service, the exchange is very close to the town centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

DO NOT GO FOR LAST MILE is all I can say! Advantageous w@nkers really, as you have found out from their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Digiweb wireless is there also.

Advertisement