Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Conference

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thieving cúnts... bastards

I'm not surprised though, I hope they don't get clapped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Ken looks smug!!

Show the ****ing screen!!

we might get to see this demo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sounds like a pretty neat controller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

poor nintendo.

that didnt take long!

sexy

• Advertisement

Would it feel as natural using two hands? Looks a little awkward to me like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

six degress of movement... hardly the same as the wii by my reckoning.
    They've modified a game to take advantage, having known about the controller for "a couple of weeks",
    lol.. after thought, much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Another Dual Shock controller? Ugh.

warhawk looks pretty slick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

510/610 euros here then ;)

• Advertisement

499 for the 20 gig
    599 for the 60 gig

500 and 600 euro!! Ouch!

Well, thats it, roll on Ninty and Microsoft tomorrow \o/

it does look awkward with two hands, but until I see the Wii I can't say if one is any better!

It's a total rip off of the Wii IMO, six degree's isn't any different from what i can see. I can't believe they're still using the same ****ing basic controller though, it's a terrible, terrible controller

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

can a mod ban skitzo? spamming everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Well that's it. Average showing by Sony then. Off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

the new controller was interesting. some of the games looked stunning... nice to have closure on the price.

miffed as to why killzone2 wasn't there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

my pc froze as kutaragi came out, i missed it. :(

i cant believe the just stole it

flogen wrote:
    six degree's isn't any different from what i can see.
    It won't know which way it's facing.. you could have your back to the tv and all it would know is which way the control is leaning.

The Wii will know which way you're actually pointing the thing.

(could be wrong)

the new controller was interesting. some of the games looked stunning... nice to have closure on the price.

miffed as to why killzone2 wasn't there!

yea the new controller was interesting.... last year when nintendo showed it

can a mod ban skitzo? spamming everywhere
    OK, here's how I feel about the whole thing:
    I wasn't really looking forward to sony, but thought they'd have something worth watching.
    For the most part they showed little innovation, just new versions of old games or new games with nothing new at all... of the real footage shown I was impressed by the animation of them, but that's about it. For things like GT I still can't be sure what was real and what wasn't
    I knew they'd have something major at the end, but I can't believe they blatently ripped off the Wii (well, I can), and with that put it in that horrible palm-cancer that is the DualShock controller. They had a nerve to call it innovation when it was just another bit of thievery from Sony... really unreal stuff, I was completely un-impressed..

One good thing from it, anyone who thought that devs wouldn't bother putting in motion sensitivity for the Wii can think again, they'll do whatever sells on Sony... so Nintendo might benefit from it in a wierd way... it's still disgusting.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    It won't know which way it's facing.. you could have your back to the tv and all it would know is which way the control is leaning.

The Wii will know which way you're actually pointing the thing.

(could be wrong)

So it won't be as good as the Wii then :D

Seriously, get your own ideas Sony!!!

flogen wrote:
    OK, here's how I feel about the whole thing:
    I wasn't really looking forward to sony, but thought they'd have something worth watching.
    For the most part they showed little innovation, just new versions of old games or new games with nothing new at all... of the real footage shown I was impressed by the animation of them, but that's about it. For things like GT I still can't be sure what was real and what wasn't
    I knew they'd have something major at the end, but I can't believe they blatently ripped off the Wii (well, I can), and with that put it in that horrible palm-cancer that is the DualShock controller. They had a nerve to call it innovation when it was just another bit of thievery from Sony... really unreal stuff, I was completely un-impressed..

One good thing from it, anyone who thought that devs wouldn't bother putting in motion sensitivity for the Wii can think again, they'll do whatever sells on Sony... so Nintendo might benefit from it in a wierd way... it's still disgusting.

Here...here....

so it coulld wel be microsoft that lose out. doubtful but anyway.

this is shít tbh.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    yea the new controller was interesting.... last year when nintendo showed it

it was also interesting a few years ago when sony patented the idea :rolleyes:

granted they got rid of the idea when no one could think of good games. and i doubt it'll be used much, other then warhawk. can't see FIFA or GT making use of it. maybe motorbike games...

BREAKING NEWS | PS3 hits US November 17

The innovation, it's too much!

controller pic

ughhh im disgusted. 2 hours of nothin and WHAMMMO right in the nuts of nintendo. lol

at least they put proper triggers on it this time.

Goodshape wrote:

controller pic
    that joke wasn't funny when ken made it either

---
    Hideo Kojima announces new PlayStation Portable action title in his audio blog, game will be departure from card-based Acid titles.

people are going mad over how good some of the games look, and others are going mad about how sony's about to die a horrible death. lots of killzone fans are asking wtf is going on!

you could argue that nintendos wand isn't completely original.

you could say they ripped off eye toys interactivity and sega bass fishing controller mechanisms.

Also didnt sony have an awful fighting game that was interactive with sensors and the like?

Nintendo refined the over all idea with their wand, though they didnt create the idea itself.

Goodshape wrote:

controller pic

Looks like they took the menu button idea from the 360 too!!

/me waits for the sony fanboys who rubbished the idea before to come out in favour of motion-sensitive controlling.

@Projectmayhem, I don't think they'll use it as much as Nintendo will but given that it was THE announcement of their E3 they obviously think it is a vital part of the machine.

I wonder if MS will do a Sony circa PS1 and launch an upgrade to their controller that takes advantage of the new idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

As obvious a rip off as it is, I think this controller could be a lot better than the Wii.

It allows many of the things the Wii does without prohibiting all the things you expect a joypad to do. The comfortable two handed design is also more suitable for many movement based games, as seen with Warhawk. Full joypad motion in addition to two full analogues allows for a huge amount of interactivity. You can happily independently control a seperate turret and machine gun on a tank while you drive it for example.

The Wii still has its place though. The PS3 pad isn't going to cut it as a light gun. And without a sensor the technology in the PS3 pad won't be able to detect positioning the way the Wii does, just movement.

I can see a lot of Sony bashing coming from Nintendo fans on this board but I reckon the new joypad can only be a good thing. As with analog sticks, Nintendo came up with it but Sony made it useful by adding two sticks for true 3d movement(something going back to one stick on the PSP made painfully obvious), so there's no reason they couldn't perfect this.

Although seeing all but one of the games without even the slightest hint of a joypad that does something different kinda underlines what an afterthought it is. Will be interesting to see if any other games using it crop up over the week.

Overall it was a pretty slow press conference but the joypad was nice to hear about. Oh and the pricing is painful, I was expecting a 400 base model and 500 premium myself. Although I wasn't expecting the base to have a hard drive.

Very few of the games shown looked all that special. That desert one(Eight Days?) was by far the most impressive, but I'd say it was prerendered footage using clever camera angles to make it look like gameplay. I hope I'm wrong!

Oh and the new Gran Turismo features HD graphics and online? Thats it? I really expected them to finally add some proper damage and make the game as good a racing game as it is a driving simulator.

I'd say we'll see a lot more of the individual games over the course of the week to see what the PS3's killer apps will be.

Advertisement