Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Conference

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Stoichkov wrote:
    you could argue that nintendos wand isn't completely original.

you could say they ripped off eye toys interactivity and sega bass fishing controller mechanisms.

Also didnt sony have an awful fighting game that was interactive with sensors and the like?

Nintendo refined the over all idea with their wand, though they didnt create the idea itself.

There's no denying that Nintendo were left red faced when Sony came along with stuff like the Eyetoy, but the wii and eyetoy are a big leap apart, as is the bass fishing thingey.

The fighting game was the Gametrak, at least I think that's what you're on about... that was basically two analogue sticks with strings attached, and was awful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

GT5 (or whatever) will have crash damage. they've been working on particle physics since before GT4 (ps2 couldn't handle it)...

i was most impressed with Resistance: Fall of Man... basically because it had similar levels of graphical wizardry as the killzone trailer last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just another shooter tbh.

graphics..... as i ave noticed with 360 you wont care as soon as the game starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I wouldn't call Sony's blatant ripping off of the Wii 'disgusting'

If its a good idea then why not use it? I shudder to think that if Sony hadn't copied the N64 we'd still be stuck using single analog sticks, or if the Wii and PS3 were both offline only cos heaven forbid they steal Microsoft's idea. Or if Gamecube games were stuck on 64 meg cartridges cos they refused to follow the competition onto optical discs...

Sony have more resources and developer support to get this right than Nintendo do, and it could actually help the Wii get more cross platform games. I'm excited about the prospect of trying the PS3 quite a bit now. I'm just wondering how long before I need to replace my 360 controllers with Mk2s, you just know it's gonna happen....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Stoichkov

The fanboy wars are going to get rediculously annoying now.

I'd like to hibernate till november 07 when we might begin to see the real potential of all 3 consoles.

I havent seen anything that wowed me other than maybe the card game and warhawk. Im not disappointed because I wasn't really expecting all that much, just wanted to see the controller, hdd info and price.

I don't believe any of the conferences will be utterly amazing, zelda and mario for ninty, halo for ms with a few small surprises along the way from both.

The worst thing about this new gen will be micro transactions. Although, hopefully they'll be highly unpopular and therefore fail.

• Advertisement

i was most impressed with Resistance: Fall of Man... basically because it had similar levels of graphical wizardry as the killzone trailer last year

Really? Maybe I've been spoiled by Oblivion or maybe it was the crappy video feed stretched onto my HDTV, but not one game looked graphically impressive to me. That one looked about the same as CoD2.

The only game I thought looked impressive was the one in the desert and that was just the amount of activity going on. I really hope the bits that looked like gameplay really were!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Goodshape wrote:
    That didn't take long :D

steviec wrote:
    As obvious a rip off as it is, I think this controller could be a lot better than the Wii.

It allows many of the things the Wii does without prohibiting all the things you expect a joypad to do. The comfortable two handed design is also more suitable for many movement based games, as seen with Warhawk. Full joypad motion in addition to two full analogues allows for a huge amount of interactivity. You can happily independently control a seperate turret and machine gun on a tank while you drive it for example.

I think they should have redesigned the controller, regardless of the new additions...
    That said I don't think it will be any better than the Wii, using two hands to rotate looked awkward, maybe the wii will be too, though... have to see I guess.. the extras for the wii will also add to the controls, most games in theory would work fine with the wiimote and the nunchuck add-on

flogen wrote:
    I think they should have redesigned the controller, regardless of the new additions...

Well they did change L2 and R2 to triggers, yet more innovation :)

Personally I loved the PS2 pad dearly. Although the 360 pad has grown on me a lot recently, the PS2 one was comfortably better than the cube or xbox 1, or any other previous pad for that matter. I'm delighted with the new design. Just the right subtle changes. Much like with the PS2, they kept the same comfortable design as the PS1 but opened up new possibilities with analog buttons.

• Advertisement

I can completely understand their decision to stick with the design, people know it and it's basically a consistent trademark for the company; saying that it's my least favourite controller at present... the Wii raises comfort issues, certainly but I know for a fact that the DualShock doesn't feel right, especially after using the Xbox or GC controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They took hdmi out of the 500 euro version and no firewire. No HDMI means no Highres BluRay.

Giblet wrote:
    They took hdmi out of the 500 euro version and no firewire. No HDMI means no Highres BluRay.

where you get that from? Seems odd for them to damage their own format like that, as most people will go for the cheaper model, especially considering that on paper it isn't the half-assed model like the 360 core is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It`s on digg.com at the moment. Controller wont have force feedback either.

Just spotted that Feedback thing on IGN... can they still call it a DualShock so? :D

I have no doubt in my mind that this was slapped onto the controller in a rush; I'm sure it will have its uses on the PS3, and as I've said before I can see it being a good boost for 3rd party games on the Wii, but without forcefeedback it seems like Sony are asking for criticism... they'd be better having sensors like the Wii, that seems to be why the Wii will be force feedback (the PS3Dualshock can't because of interference)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wouldn`t be surprised if they offered a non-sensored, vibrating dual shock alongside this new fangled one.

Either way, it`s not good news for Microsoft. Regardless of how badly implemented and under-used this feature may be with regards to the PS3, Microsoft are now noticably lagging behind when it comes to the interface. Will they shoehorn something simiar into a new controller, in the same vein as their HD-DVD drive add-on? I guess Microsoft are learning that being first to market has its downsides too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Its only a tilt sensor. My microsoft sidewinder pad had a tilt sensor about 10 years ago. It won't allow anything like the kind of interaction that nintendo is proposing. You could play something like warioware twisted maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

New controller, ay? Well I don't think it's gonna be as good as the Wii controller (the names is growing on me that little bit more). I do think that this new controller was a reactionary move. I wonder if they've actually been developing this long enough or if they just stuck in whatever "virtual controller" technology they could come up with in a year.

Now to watch the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

flogen wrote:
    Seriously, we're literally weeks away from the PS3 launch and they've got nothign so far... more pre-rendered SHíTE

well we are a good bit more than weeks away

it launches in november

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

Dual shock thwii, anyone? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not really blown away by the screenshots. Will make my mind up when I see some videos when I get home.

Very original gamepad design there sony. Still see the awful d-pad is unchanged :rolleyes: I also have my doubts about the motion sensing. pads with similar motion sensing have been made before and have been a disaster.

500-600 yoyos is bloody steep!

Still Panzer Dragoon Lair is confirmed for it. Thats me sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Its only a tilt sensor. My microsoft sidewinder pad had a tilt sensor about 10 years ago. It won't allow anything like the kind of interaction that nintendo is proposing. You could play something like warioware twisted maybe.
    i had that controller too, it was rubbish! probably why ms didnt think of adding something like it to the 360
    and i dont class nintendo as been orginal when this motion-sensor idea has been going around for ages, so what if sony have decided to give it ago aswell

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Good point, the controller uses the same (maybe more refined) technology as a number of GBA games... I wonder if anyone will point that out :D

Dropping vibration has been a bad, bad decision IMO.

Completely underwhelmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Still Panzer Dragoon Lair is confirmed for it. Thats me sold.

What's this about Panzer Dragoon Lair???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its more than a tilt sensor, it's a movement sensor. So it can detect movement in all directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I don't see why people are making such a big deal of the controller having a motion sensor, big whoop, it's not like nintendo were the first company to ever use a motion sensor for anything, and the ps3's wont be nearly as dynamic considering the wii controller is designed around the sensor and the ps3's seems to have it tacked on as an afterthought. Sure the ps3's motion sensor isn't even a major feature of the controller really, and I'm pretty sure it'll be good if it's used right. I'm hoping the controller is fatter, like the original dual analogue controller but not that extreme, since then the sony controllers have been too small for me. I don't like the idea of the controller without the vibration, anyone try ico without vibration? It makes a huge difference in a lot of games.

I don't know about anyone else but if I was going to pay so much for a console(which I won't) I would definitely be willing to shell out the other 100 for the HDMI, hard drive space and wifi, but the card reader isn't that important to me.

I haven't seen anything other than a few reports, I'm looking forward to seeing proper graphics from the console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

flogen wrote:
    Dropping vibration has been a bad, bad decision IMO.

Wasn't there some sort of dispute over Sony's use of vibration? or was it just over the naming of it?

kaimera wrote:
    Wasn't there some sort of dispute over Sony's use of vibration? or was it just over the naming of it?

Yeah, there was and they lost a lot over it too (whatever company it was got a cut of all profit made from ps2 and controller sales).

I think it was more than the name too, i was the type of feedback used but surely they could just change it around into their own form; I don't think Nintendo or MS have anything to do with this company, they just developed their own force feedback ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Games that tickled my fancy from the conference were LocoRoco, Heavenly Sword, Eight Days, and Metal Gear Solid 4. The rest looked like boring, graphically updated versions of games from the past 5 years (OK, they same could be said for the games I mentioned, but they looked the most impressive.)

Big themes at the moment are fantasy, war, and crime. Many Prince of Persia-type games on show too. At least there were an almost even amount of new francises to sequels.

The card game was probably the most intriguing aspect of their conference, but I didn't really get it.

Updated controller was what I was waiting for, yet I was shocked to see him pull out the same ol' Dual Shock. R2 and L2 triggers are welcome though.

I didn't think the motion sensitivity was all that impressive. I have Wario Ware: Twisted! and moving the GBA/DS around and around gets tiring. It looks like a gimmick tacked on, but hopefully they can put it to use. I doubt this is going to steal the Wii's thunder, mind.

€499/€599 is no surprise. Should be good value for what you're getting.

Now, would that make me want to get the console at launch? At the moment, no. Of course, I'd have to see the launch games, but Sony seem to be going the Microsoft route with the pimping of the flashy visuals. It's something that I'm just not that interested in. Additionally, Sony consoles bought in the launch period seem to break down after two or three years.

"Wait and see" approach I guess. I don't like purchasing consoles early until they deliver the goods.

I was hoping they'd change that god awful "Spiderman" font on the PS3 logo too. Still looks shit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Righty, a bit u****ressed here.

500 quid for the crippled version is FAR too much. The lack of HDMI on the 500 euro version, is quite possibly the stupidest decision ever. As is lack of Wi-Fi (Would have cost all of about 20 quid too add, for a hell a lot of functionality)

Controller - Seems MS is billy-no-sensing-controller now, which I think is quite interesting. Not sure how useful the controller will be, but meh.

Course, All the complaining is moot, becasue MGS4 looks amazingly good! Thats me as good as sold

Advertisement