Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Conference

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Peteee wrote:
    500 quid for the crippled version is FAR too much. The lack of HDMI on the 500 euro version, is quite possibly the stupidest decision ever.
    What is HDMI?

Does the PS3 need the same HDTV malarky the 360 has?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

HDMI is a digital connection for Hi-def content. The PS3 will be just like the 360 where you will see a significant improvment if you have a HDTV.

So you need the €600 version for HD?

That's shoite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ehh...tbqh, that mgs4 vid was kinda crappy. Really don't see anything in it to get excited about.

The lack of colour seems like a cheap way to make the vid seem like it's got nice graphics but imo a lot of it looked poor. *shrug*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

So you need the €600 version for HD?

That's shoite.

No; it means you can't watch HiRes HD, I think... so it will still be HD but not superHD :D

Does either version of the ps3 have wifi built in? MS made a big mistake in forcing people to buy a rediculously expensive add-on to have wireless LAN... I'd be surprised if Sony do the same; arent Ninty going to have it built in (well, they seem to be hinting at it, anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vyse wrote:
    What's this about Panzer Dragoon Lair???

I think someone mentioned this previously. I'll have to check the footage myself when I get home to see if my prayers have been answered.

Ah no, man, I was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

well, i've just watched all the vids..even tho i should've been working, and i'd have to say that overall my opinion was, not bad.
    Some very impressive graphical stuff happening in MGS4 and one the opposite end some distinctly un-impressive stuff with genjuros.
    I like the idea of where they're taking the CoD franchise( if it works..it's seems to me the Wii would be the ideal machine for a game like this appears to be to flourish on)..but really it was all just more graphically impressive versions of what's come before, of course it's still way to early to judge the console and it's abilities on a handful of grainy previews and particularly when sony insist on showing gameplay scenes intercut with setpieces a la 8 days.
    Makes it hard to see what's the real deal and what's not..typical from them i would've said.
    I'm most looking forward to nintendos press conference, espescially in light of sonys new controller.

hairball; what's that about CoD? That must have been when the feed went down...

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64455
    Those who purchase the 20GB version of the PlayStation 3 will find themselves with less options than those who buy the 60GB model when it comes to data storage and Wi-Fi functionality.

According to Sony's latest spec sheet, the 20GB PS3 will not feature inputs for memory sticks, SD or compact flash cards. Nor will it offer any Wi-Fi options or any HDMI output.

The 60GB PS3 will come with a single HDMI port - and not two, as the prototype shown at last year's E3 suggested. The prototype also featured three Ethernet ports and six USB ports, but the console unveiled yesterday has just one Ethernet and four USB ports.

So the PS3 core is turning out to be just as raw a deal as the 360 core, the only problem being the bits left out of the cheaper ps3 are non-upgradable... as for the drop in usb and ethernet ports, makes sense; that whole "using a ps3 as an entertainment hub" was crap, wouldn't have been noticed by the majority of gamers

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    hairball; what's that about CoD? That must have been when the feed went down...
    well..nothing conclusive but the vid seems to hint at a much more up close feeling to the combat...an array of hand to hand fighting moves..i reckon the vibe there going for is something like the horrible struggle with the knife from saving private ryan.
    obviously this is purely my speculation but check out the vid on gamespot

by the way, are you folks using the subscriber service on gamespot.? and if so is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think someone mentioned this previously. I'll have to check the footage myself when I get home to see if my prayers have been answered.
    lol freak scenery was being bold. It was a game with flying dragons and the likes and it was called LAIR.

looked alright but it was just cutscene i think.

Assasins creed looks alright as did lair. nothin caught my eye really though. mgs4 looked great but i dont liike any of the games so far. heavenly sword looked ok just like god of war with lots of people on the screen or somethin.

genji 2 was the biggest piece of crap ever though.

where was resi 5... where was devil may cry????????????? they were what we needed to see running!

evad_lhorg wrote:

where was resi 5... where was devil may cry????????????? they were what we needed to see running!

yeh i agree, they at least would've been interesting, but once again i'm thinking a resident evil 5 on the Wii IF the controller proves to be as sophisticated as they're saying could be the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

kaimera wrote:
    ehh...tbqh, that mgs4 vid was kinda crappy. Really don't see anything in it to get excited about.

The lack of colour seems like a cheap way to make the vid seem like it's got nice graphics but imo a lot of it looked poor. *shrug*
    But...but...they made Raiden into a cyborg ninja!
    But yeah, it was just another teaser really.
    The thing that hit me was the price. Based on prices alone, I'm tempted to go for the wiivolution (I'm a one console per generation kind of guy), except I'm still not sure about the crazy 'active' gameplay on that thing.

"PS3 Too Cheap"

Kutaragi acts like a smug as*hole once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Blech. Nothing special at all. Just watched the conference, and there's nothing that's jumping out at me saying "OMGBuyThePS3Now!!!". I'm also wary of Sony reliability in the first year, I've seen silly amounts of broken PS2s and PSPs at work. Games aren't particularly strong-looking either, and the price is ****ing ridiculous. €500 for what's basically a non-upgradeable core system? Forget it. I'll be getting a Nintendo Wii and putting the rest of my nerding money into my Macbook Pro fund.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote:
    lol freak scenery was being bold. It was a game with flying dragons and the likes and it was called LAIR.

You have just utterly crushed me for the rest of the day.

I thought Lair was an unusual direction for a Dragoon game to take.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

flogen wrote:
    No; it means you can't watch HiRes HD, I think... so it will still be HD but not superHD :D

Not quite. Games will still output in full hi-res, its movies you *potentially* have to worry about.

A HDMI connection is basically the same as a DVI connector that you see on computers (Thats the white monitor connector) but with sound wired in.

"Additionally, without support for HDCP, the video quality and resolution may be artificially downgraded by the signal source to prevent the end user from viewing or especially copying restricted content." (Wikipedia)

So *if* movie companies decide to put extreme copy protection on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD (Which I think is going to be increasingly unlikely, given that lots of HD TV's dont have HDMI connectors, and it seems neither will the core PS3 and the HD-DVD addon for the 360) then it may be a disadvantage, but as it stands, I think it will be fine.

• Advertisement

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=16847

First industry backlash at the terrible Sony conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Ciaran500 wrote:

Yet he'll go home now to work on Assassin's Creed, which Ubi is keen to suggest is only coming to PS3 for now :rolleyes:

And regardless of what he thinks, PS3 is better for having adopted these things than not. What would he prefer, that Sony ignores online?

I'd prefer if they came up with something orignial and wowed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Ciaran500 wrote:

isn't he part of the studio working on red steel?

bit of a muppet to bitch and moan about the art assets he's "forced" to create for ps3 and then come out and say red steel is the best looking game wii will have for a while.

Advertisement