Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DrivingLicence:Driving with a Trailer Tent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Aaaaaggghhh, who cares. Pretend you don't know anything about it. Play dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Skyuser wrote:
    Aaaaaggghhh, who cares. Pretend you don't know anything about it. Play dumb.

:rolleyes:

As far as I understand it, you can tow a trailer/caravan with a full B license, but not provisional. Not sure what you mean about the trailer having only one wheel ?

Oh yeah, remember to let your insurance company know that you will be towing a caravan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    Oh yeah, remember to let your insurance company know that you will be towing a caravan.
    LMAO

AXA : Hello, how may I help you?
    Driver : Hi, just to let you know, I'll be driving with a trailer today.
    AXA : Ok, thanks for letting us know
    Driver : No probs! Bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Skyuser wrote:
    LMAO

AXA : Hello, how may I help you?
    Driver : Hi, just to let you know, I'll be driving with a trailer today.
    AXA : Ok, thanks for letting us know
    Driver : No probs! Bye.

The reason I suggested it was because, while towing a caravan, some insurance companies will only cover you for the "minimum legal insurance requirement" in whatever country your are driving. In Ireland and the U.K.,
    this would mean that, even though you may have comprehensive insurance cover on the car, you may only be covered for 3rd party injury while towing a caravan. Hence, better to check it out. But you obviously know all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    The reason I suggested it was because, while towing a caravan, some insurance companies will only cover you for the "minimum legal insurance requirement" in whatever country your are driving. In Ireland and the U.K.,
    this would mean that, even though you may have comprehensive insurance cover on the car, you may only be covered for 3rd party injury while towing a caravan. Hence, better to check it out. But you obviously know all this.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Here's the deal,

You can tow a trailer/caravan on a regular 'B' license... BUT

If the Gross Vehicle Weight (laden weight) of the car & trailer combined exceeds 3500kg then you need an 'EB' license. This basically means anything like an ifor williams twin axle or a transporter.

I reckon you'll be fine, but I don't know what the story is on the continent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As long as you are ok licencewise to drive with this trailer in Ireland, you are also ok to do so in Europe, regardless of possibly different local rules.

The insurance is important though.

You need an international insurance certificate (the green paper) in order to prove to foreign authorities that you car is insured.
    In some countries on the continent, they have a system where trailers have to be registered, insured and even NCT'd as a seperate entity. So it is important that your trailer gets mentioned in your car insurance cert in order to prove that it is insured as well.
    Also make sure to have a reg plate on your trailer and that all the lights and brakes are working correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Kermitt wrote:

If the Gross Vehicle Weight (laden weight) of the car & trailer combined exceeds 3500kg then you need an 'EB' license. This basically means anything like an ifor williams twin axle or a transporter.

And the trailer has to be below 750kg!

Advertisement