Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone help for acoustic guitar

Options
  • 09-05-2006 5:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello:

I am doing a home recording an I would like to know which microphone should I buy for my acoustic guitar!

I am looking for a cheap microphone below $300 mark!

any recommended rather than Shure?

Also, if someone can tell me what I should look for when buying a mic for acoustic guitar?

No amp... just straight from guitar!!!

Thankx in advance!!!

Maqeta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭andy1249

What are you recording with , is it a PC setup or a desk ?
    Have you considered acoustic piezo pickups that clip to the guitar across the soundhole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

pickups are near impossible for recording because they sound like shít.
    Shure are not the make of mic you should be going for.
    You need a 'condenser' (or capacitor) mic. Check out Rode microphones on thomann by clicking here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

You'll probaly also need a pre-amp - one that supplies 48V phantom power if it's a condenser. Look at the Behringer preamps and small mixers.

Samson audio also do a mic that has a built in usb audio interface - that would be the cheapest way to go if you don't own a mixer/preamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

For that kind of price especially for acoustic guitar I'd suggest looking at either an AKG 3000 or AKG 1000. The AKG 1000 is great value for acoustic guitar and it work with a 9v battery in case your mixer doesn't send phantom power.

Position in it an angle beside the soundhole 6inches from the strings and keep the same distance while playing. In the mix watch out for a honky tonk sound you might want to cut at about 600hz and don't be afraid to give it plenty of high mid if you want air in the sound.

that honky tonk sound is caused by mic'ing over the sound hole. If you've only got one mic go 6 inches from the twelfth fret. Trust me. You'll get a far more coherent tone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

If you're gonna put the mic that close (i.e. about 6 inches) beware of the danger of picking up lots of unwanted sounds such as the guitarist's breathing, belt buckle rubbing off the guitar etc. Was recording a guy playing classical guitar recently, got a great tone but picked up some of these unwanted horrible sounds. You could get away with positioning the mic(s) a little further away if you're working in a decent (non reverberant) room or if you want to get a more classical sound.

I'd second the suggestion to put the mic parallel to the 12th fret, if you put it over the sound hole it'll catch the blasts of air coming out. If you can get your hands on 2 matched mics (e.g. Rode NT5s) I'd suggest putting the 2nd one pointed at the bridge and panning them hard left and right for a nice stereo recording. The NT5s are great versatile mics, especially for acoustic guitar, and are excellent value at about 350 a pair (i think).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

jtsuited wrote:
    that honky tonk sound is caused by mic'ing over the sound hole. If you've only got one mic go 6 inches from the twelfth fret. Trust me. You'll get a far more coherent tone

No it's not. I've mic'ed acoustic guitars from just about every conceivable position and -to varying degrees- it's a recurring problem across a variety of mics, positions and guitars.
    I agree with you on the positioning though. Another great touch which is a bit if a favourite of mine is to put two mics in a xy formation in that same position. It really gives you a wide sound with fret movement on one side and lots of plec on the other but the tone in the middle. Although I've used this mainly when the acoustic has been the centre of attention. And as the proud owner of a Lowden O23 I think that's where it should always be!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

I'd look at oktava and kel mics. I'm not terribly excited by C1000s on most things. Audio Technica make some decent mics too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Studio Projects B1 is an excellent mic for acoustic guitar as well as other things like micing up yr amp. its very versatile. good for vox too. but you do need a pre amp.

ive just finished recording an acoustic with a SM57 and got excellent results believe it or not. but you dont want Shure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noh showband

Have you thought about pick-ups? Shadow do a neat one that blends mic and piezo. It sounds really good and was installed for me by those lovely chaps at Sound Shop in Drogheda all for under 200. I was looking at the Fishman range for my 12 String as well, seriously considering the extra expenditure for that Studio-like tone, but the bridge is a little non-standard and could cause problems. Still researching.

Links, if you're at all interested, are:

http://www.shadow-electronics.com/viewpro.html?id=&loc=IE

and

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=83

• Advertisement

frobisher wrote:
    No it's not. I've mic'ed acoustic guitars from just about every conceivable position and -to varying degrees- it's a recurring problem across a variety of mics, positions and guitars.
    I agree with you on the positioning though. Another great touch which is a bit if a favourite of mine is to put two mics in a xy formation in that same position. It really gives you a wide sound with fret movement on one side and lots of plec on the other but the tone in the middle. Although I've used this mainly when the acoustic has been the centre of attention. And as the proud owner of a Lowden O23 I think that's where it should always be!

Maybe we have different ideas of what honky tonk means:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oneRoom

The AKG C2000 would probable be fine. Better than the C1000. It will also sound respectable if you decide to use it to record a vocal along with the acoustic.

Regards,
    B. Gardiner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Advertisement