Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of livery in Dublin/horses on loan

Options
  • 09-05-2006 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just getting back into horse riding after an absence of a few years.
    I used to have my own pony when I was younger and would really love to own a horse again.

Just wondering what sort of cost livery is in Dublin?
    And if anyone knows of anyone looking to loan out a horse or share one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭fits

I got back into riding last year after a seven year break.. Its difficult to find out answers to these questions... we really could do with an equestrian board here.. anyway

Full livery in Dublin costs about 150 euro a week. If you move further away from the city you might get it for 100 euro. Most places dont offer DIY. I dont know much about north Dublin.
    Are you based in north or south Dublin?

I live about 30 miles outside Dublin and keep my mare on DIY livery. Its far cheaper than anywhere else and I was lucky to find it. Can pm you the details if you like.

ps voice your support for an equestrian board in forums board...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you drive it will widen you search area. You would be best off to get a few lessons to get back into it and to make contacts.

Could equestrian posts be put in the horse racing forum please, to see how much interest can be created.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm banned from the horse racing forum, and I really dont think putting equestrian threads in with those gambling obsessed people is going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tikka

eth0_ wrote:
    I'm just getting back into horse riding after an absence of a few years.
    I used to have my own pony when I was younger and would really love to own a horse again.

Just wondering what sort of cost livery is in Dublin?
    And if anyone knows of anyone looking to loan out a horse or share one?

I run a livery yard just outside Dublin. Its 10 minutes from Naas. Full livery is €110, grass is €50. Haven't decided on a price for DIY yet. I know people with horses for loan and share. What exactly are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tikka

If you want to advertise, you'll have to pay for it. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

tikka can you turn on your pm receiving thing or else pm me yourself with exact location and facilities. please

only just noticed you banned tikka, can a mod or something give me her email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I am in a yard in North Dublin called Thornton Park, full livery (no turn-out) is €105. 2 large outdoor arena's and one large indoor. I know a girl who is looking for someone to share her horse. I can put you in touch with her?

PS I don't own the yard only have my horse (Spirit) there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is it possible to get out there by bus from the city centre?

Yeah it's about a mile from the Coolquay lodge on the N2, I'm not sure of the bus, probably the Ashbourne one from Busaras.. If you need any more info give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 oh_be_the_hokey

I was in the yard beside Tikka's and it's lovely there. They really look after the horses there so I reccommend it. Have to say!
    I'm looking for something a bit closer to home though, Grass livery anyway, Stabling would be a bonus. I'm between Naas and Tallaght, so Naas or Newcastle areas would be great if anyone knows of any...........???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rua87

Tikka wrote: »
    I run a livery yard just outside Dublin. Its 10 minutes from Naas. Full livery is €110, grass is €50. Haven't decided on a price for DIY yet. I know people with horses for loan and share. What exactly are you looking for?

does anybody know where this yard is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jj209

I am looking to find out the cost of livery (either DIY or full) in the Naas area. I have to decide if we can move to Ireland as my husband may need to relocate there. We have 2 ponies to stable if we move.
    I am also looking for a house that may also be able to stable horses. Does anyone know prices for these things in the Naas area? It looks like that is a good option for commuting to Dublin city for work.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It would probably be better to post this in the equestrian section in the sports area.
    Livery is quite dear over here and for full liver for a pony you are prob talking anything from 100-150 per week. Now DIY/half is slightly cheaper but with the way the weather has gone over the last few years a lot of stables dont have the land to keep horses out on grass for too long as its far too wet.

Why not have a look on daft.ie for houses and prices and try get an idea that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jj209

Thanks for the reply, I had already been on daft but couldn't find any houses under 1 million with enough land. I think they are happier with other horses anyway. I can't believe the prices over there, I pay 150 euros for 1 month here (in France), this is exactly what we need to figure all our costs into the equation. I also looked on the equestrian section, I found this thread through google so apologies for posting in the wrong place. Thanks a lot for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You wont get a nice house with land for much less than 600 or 700,000 at the moment, but prices are coming down so maybe keep an eye out.

Yeah i used to keep my horse on livery and its like a second mortgage, had to rehome him in the end as i just couldnt afford to keep him.

There are lots of riding stables and equestrian centres around kildare so you would have lots of places to go riding and you wouldnt be paying for livery then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Equestrian Forum is probably your best bet - as this thread is from 2008.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement