Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it the end for Tayto????

• 09-05-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭

First they're booted out of Coolock and now Maurice Prat (C&C) wants to sell on the brand...

Well they might as well because they promised to keep to the recipe after leaving Coolock but surprise surprise they didn't. they are very different and have a look at the packet. All of a sudden they are using hydrogenated rapeseed oil.... YUK YUK YUK :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i want the old flavour back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep all the crisp companies are going with all this "lower fat sunflower":rolleyes: oil, down with this sort of thing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

This is all news to me.. haven't had a Tayto in ages tbh.

They're not in Coolock anymore? how come?

I've probably been underweight (not unhealthly so, but still..) my whole life. All this 'low fat' stuff annoys me too. Anyway, If I were on a diet I wouldn't be eating feckin crisps for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Noooooooo! It isn't low fat... in fact its the furthest you could get from "healthy"

Hydrogenated oils are when they turn healthy liquid oils into hard fat (like margerine) they use it in biscuits and pastry and cristp to make them crispier and stay that way longer. these are the fats that stick to your arteries and clog you up... :(

Tayto NEVER used these before yer man sold the company promising the reecipe would not be changed. HRUMPH! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

a nice bag of tayto with peanuts thrown in .... mmm tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Ruu wrote:
    down with this sort of thing :(

Careful now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

never liked tayto,they make me feel sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

That's dreadful if it's true.. there's no reason to use hydrogenated oil for frying crisps, it's not like there isn't enough of the gunk around already.

Hydrogenated oil level information should be mandatory on food packaging & school kids should be educated about all of this sort of stuff.

In some cases you can taste the difference when hydrogenated oils are used - there are a brand (Jacobs I think) of catering biscuits sold in packs of two, most of the varieties use hydrogenated oil, but the oat flavour doesn't, comparing them you can easily notice the nasty cloying coarse oil texture of the hydrogenated version, whereas the oat verision uses butter and tastes far better (hydrogenated oil is suspected to be worse than saturated fat).

Also sometimes you can see big solid white blocks of fat being loaded into the fryers in some of the big fast food chains, again this is hydrogenated oil being used.

Advertisement